How hard to break lease?

You can save the file on your disk, open it with word. In the menu "Tools" select "Unprotect Document" and deselect any selected restrictions (Editing restriction). You should now be able to modify it.

Cheers.
Sylvie

Tried that. The doc is unprotected. I think it has scripts embedded that protect certain sections or maybe uses Information Rights Management?

Cheers,

Bazza

I dont think you will have any trouble at all at the tribunal, they seem to favour renters

I went to the tribunal last Tuesday and got my bond back (less re-letting fees) but the PM did not turn up, so it was a bit easy. Now the problem is that they can apply for a re-hearing within 28 days:confused: I don't know if it is fair. As an agency, they should be able to find someone to replace the PM if this one is sick and cannot attend the hearing: they found someone else to do the inpsections every 3 months (the PM never did them herself!).

So I am pretty happy but will wait a little before celebrating;).

Sylvie.

I dont think they will bother reapplying for your bond. My place seems to have been re-rented, but cant check till Mon. New pre-approved tenants (from interstate) sent friend to check out premises and she loved it, said she couldnt wait to ring friend and tell her about it, so would assume friend will sign on dotted line. Like you, I wont celebrate till Mon and I know for sure. One thing I am worried about, is the griller door has got burnt along the top. The one big hotplate I use most of the time is doing it, you can see I havent grilled anything with the door shut. I suspect it is something to do with owners removing some sort of tray under hotplates and replacing it with tinfoil, I just dont want to get blamed for it and repairs taken out of bond. Can I have any say in what the pm decides on her inspection, would she have to ring me and ask me to explain what happened with damage, or do they just go your bond?

... Can I have any say in what the pm decides on her inspection, would she have to ring me and ask me to explain what happened with damage, or do they just go your bond?.

If you are worried, you can be present during her inspection and discuss it with her. Or if you don't want to be there, you can fill the "Exit Condition Report" (Form 14a) (which you are required to do when you leave anyway), mention the problem on it, send it to the PM asking her to complete her part, sign it and return it to you within 3 days. You can then discuss your bond with them and if you can't agree claim it separately to the RTA. There should not be too much problem (specially if the owners could remember removing the tray;) ). Good luck with it.

I dont think they will bother reapplying for your bond.

I hope they won't, and they probably won't. But I am still very frustrated :mad:. It seems that they just played with me and then decided it was not worse for them to loose their precious time :D. Well, get over it!

One thing for sure is that I would never recommend this RE to anyone: tenants or landlords. They don't seem to know their job and just by playing up made my landlord loose 4 weeks rent for nothing adn get me very annoyed with them :mad:. Nobody wants to play with professionnals who don't know their jobs, and you have to check everything they are doing.

Well that's it. I am over it, I got my money back :cool:, end of the story.

Sylvie.

Sylie

Did you pay any rent after the date you vacated? Did you get that rent back too given they were advertising at a higher rate of rent?

GoAnna,
I did pay an additional 1 week rent to compensate the owner for the break of the lease. I am probably too honest, but I broke the lease and knew that it might cost a bit. I just did not want to pay for them to try the market:D At the tribunal, I was pretty ready to argue with the PM about the 4 weeks rent they wanted me to pay. But when they did not turn up, I had nothing to argue for, so when the Referee asked me if I was willing to compensate them for the re-letting fees I said "Yes", too happy not to have to fight. Although, now I think I could have discussed it too.

So at the end, I paid for the reletting fees (1 week + GST) and for the tribunal fees too ($45.50):eek:, which I am a bit upset about. Why should I pay for the tribunal when they are the ones who applied for it, they did not even turn up and they did not get a 10th of what they were claiming:confused:. Well I did not react as the referee was writing the order and anyway, alltogether, I was pretty happy with the result.:)

Sylvie.

Breaking lease and rental history

I am currently looking at breaking my lease as my house mate is moving away for work and I am never at the property due to work and my family situation. We are hoping to continue occupying the place until a month from now (which will be 3 months before the lease ends). We would be happy to pay the fees associated and the rent until the place is re-rented. However, as I want to be able to rent again in the future I am just worried that breaking the lease will effect my rental history. Neither of us has ever had any bond issues or anything and rent has always been paid on time and in full. Just wondering if anyone knows anything about this?

Have to say I've never had any major problems leasebreaking, but lease ending is usually problematic. First time I did it because I'd bought a house, my rental had just been sold and the new owner wanted to gut the bathroom (bathroom was fine but blue. Kitchen was 60s and barely useable. I could have lived with no kitchen and a rent increase but not no bathroom) and didn't seem to think I'd have a problem living there with a toddler, no bathroom, and then a $50pw rent jump. He was wrong, I left, he got really nitpicky and I lost half the bond to trivial things. Couldn't be bothered fighting anything, as it was I lost a day's rent out of the bond for coming back and cleaning extra the morning after I was supposed to be out and STILL lost more bond for missing a few crumbs here and there. Amazing how a couple of crumbs in the bottom of an ancient decrepid worn out oven can cost $150 in cleaning fees. I'd never even used the oven ... if I knew he was going to be such a pedantic idiot I would have stopped paying rent and left asap when the house changed owners, the previous owner was quite nice, and I'd turned the yard from a weed-infested mess into something nice while I was there, which was lost on the new owner as he'd never seen it in the old state. At least I didn't get charged advertising or anything as he wanted to renovate.

Second time I was only leaving a few weeks before the end of the lease, the owner took the opportunity to sell the unit instead of reletting it, the PM was really slack (never fixed the running hot water tap, managed to inspect the wrong unit instead of mine a couple times, and when I initially got the keys the old tenant and most of her stuff were still in the unit) and with such a bad taste in my mouth after last time I just stopped paying rent 4 weeks before I was due to leave. The PM took about 4 months to lodge the paperwork for the bond. He was probably too excited about the fat juicy commission for selling the place that he forgot it was once a rental.

Really does put into perspective that if you're not nice to tenants, they are very likely to go vindictive on you. And its usually the managed properties that are bad, private landlords seem to be quite ok with most things as long as you talk to them and they are a lot more flexible. PMs seem to do anything within their power to not communicate, ignore your requests, not do work like fix running hot taps that cost you (not them) hundreds in electricity, and always have secretaries to screen calls so you have to leave 500 messages before they deign to phone you back months later.

The house is rerented and we move out on Sunday. Agent wanted us to move out early as new people wanted to move in on Monday and they wanted 3 days to do checklist. Had major discussion about how they could do check in 2 hrs and with 3 weeks notice, why would they need 3 days. Finally agreed 2 days and newies move in on Wed. Partner wants to pay for professional cleaning, (mainly to save me work) but as the house was fairly (long term) dirty when we moved in, and is now so much cleaner, I am against it and will just do a normal clean. I have to laugh when I see their cleaning list - take down all light fittings and clean out bugs. take down and wash all curtains etc. The curtains would fall apart if I washed them and the roman blinds have never been moved for years and some are nailed up. Verticals in bathroom have never been moved for years and are covered in mould type dirt. I know these shrink and warp if washed. Well, shall see how we go with bond matters, but at this stage we only have to pay for two days rent (I dont know if that includes 1 weeks letting fee) and advertising of $50 on internet

Back