how long does your average tenant stay?

on average how long do your tenants stay

• Less then one year, they seem to want to break their lease for whatever reason

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Usually one year and they move on

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • 2-3 years

Votes: 31 63.3%
  • 5 years plus

Votes: 6 12.2%
  • 10 years plus!

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Simple poll
Assuming 12 month residential lease,

How long does each of your tenant stay?

When I first got into the game, I assumed tenants would Stay one year

But then it got me thinking unless you had to move or changed jobs or your rent was increased above market, I hate moving. Trucks, shifting heavy stuff, rearranging, plus costs involved, I reckon I'd stay at least three years

Tenancy turnover

Bit of a difficult question to answer. It depends on why they are there. They could be on secondment for employment or moving to a different phase in their life. I voted 2-3 yrs because my tenants are not moving due to the shortage of accommodation post earthquake. Before that it was 12-18 months turnover. I have mostly 2 bdr apartments close to the city with some 3 bed townhouses.

I tend to have longer term tenants- but that's because they are reasonable quality properties which are well priced in the market.

When I had the block of flats I inherited a tenant who had been there for many years. He was removed from the premises though shortly after I sold. I went to the funeral.

That block though was bottom of the market and as such generally attracted short term tenants. The PM really earned her keep.

There's no 4 yr option! My longest is 4 yrs but had to move the tenant on to sell property. I had another one stay for about 4 years and a current one wanting to stay that long. Most of mine are 1-4 yrs. if I have a couple of rental applications I may choose a tenant wanting a longer term over a short term application .

I have marked 2-3yrs, as most of our tenants have stayed that long.

Though we have had shorter, I have had one fellow in place for over 12yrs, he will be moving out come the end of this year. So it averages out around the 2-3yr mark

I marked 2-3 yrs also.

One's moving out after a 14 month lease in 3 weeks time (I gave a couple of students a chance with one of the mothers as a guarantee).

The rest are approaching 2 years and 3 years. Unless the rents are rising a lot, I agree with TMNT, don't know why some people would want to move much and I don't get why people want to go month to month for years rather than re-sign periodical leases.

One of my tenants was in the house when I bought it - 12 years ago, but then the shortest is one year.

I now give a new tenant a six month lease to start with then if they are ok will go one or even two years. The idea being is if they don't turn out as thought I can tell them lease not being renewed, it was also bargaining power when a tenant was a bit erratic with rent payments and dates and this encouraged her to set up a bank transfer.

I was renting in my last house 9 1/2 years but landlord wanted his family to move in so had to move out otherwise I would have been in a further 3 years.

We have inherited a tenant from our last purchase and he has been there since it was built. 24 years and currently on a 2 year lease.

On average, our tenants stay 2-4 years

We purchased a factory a few years back, inheriting a reasonably stable Tenant who had been happily renting there since 1968.

Last year we finalised negotiations and executed a fresh 15 year Lease with them, so when they complete that contract, they will have been in the Premises 60 years.

I think I'll let my children negotiate the next one with them.

Most of the ones that I manage last at least their first 3 or 5 terms but are usually there 9+. One has just resigned for the 16-20 years with healthy annual reviews.

The joys of CIP.

My tenants in Australia stayed for a long time (> 5 years), it was their home.
I just signed a rental agreement for 3 years for myself, I can leave earlier with 2 months notice but the owner can't kick me out before 3 years (in Spain though).

Our Canberra IP has the same tenants who were in there when we purchased in 2006. Fantastic tenants, and we've tried on a few occasions to sign them up again, although they've opted for a continuing month-month agreement for about the last 5 years. Last week the PM rang out of the blue saying they want to lock it in for 12 months!

The number of responses is low. While it is interesting, there would be predictable differences that make this a comparison of apples and oranges. For example, by definition alone one might expect higher tenant turnover in places with a high itinerant population.

Regarding letting and re-letting fees, taking week/s of rent is a carryover from the distant past where agents did a lot more than tap a few keys to list on the internet, or hand out keys for inspection*. There has also been a proliferation of fees and charges on top of management fees. However PMs have a more difficult job as a result of changes in tenancy regulations and the complicated legal-bureaucratic mess wrought by government interference in what was previous a largely private arrangement.

At the end of the day though, regulators and all who believe they have a stake in rental housing have to come to terms with the fact that it is a high risk investment and the returns for owners are poor. A flight from this form of investment is on the cards, especially with Boomers departing the scene, and a flight, once started, will not be turned around so easily. Tenants and prospective buyers will not benefit from loss of investment.

*with apologies to some of the competent and diligent PMs who post here.

I had corporate in my now sold ones.

For me as a tenant, I tend to stay an average of 18 months - and moves tend to be large (i.e. from Sydney to Newcastle) rather than around the corner to save $20

Ive got one property that turns over every 12 months. I've asked the PM if its something 'wrong' with the property/street but she reckons its very common in the rental market in that area (low socio-economic area). The two weeks letting fee plus any vacant period during changeover of tenants really does impact on the cash flow. So I will try to suss out the average turnover period when looking for my next IP.

Back