How many IP's do you have?

How many IP's do you have (2008 edition)

• None

Votes: 11 7.7%

Votes: 23 16.2%

Votes: 21 14.8%

Votes: 26 18.3%

Votes: 17 12.0%
  • 5+

Votes: 44 31.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
if you have own a single block of 4 units is it one investment or 4 investments?

4 separate titles would be 4 investment properties, which i would assume they would be in this instance. You could have one house, renting each room out but its still 1 property, however mutliple lots of rent you receive.

Of course, you could own say a block of flats (5) that is company share title for example, and I would argue that would be 5 properties, but only on 1 title.

Now I am confused....:confused:

4 IPs, total asset value = $1,050,000
Current equity ~ $199,000

I'm definitely in exposure reduction/equity building mode at the moment...

4 separate titles would be 4 investment properties, which i would assume they would be in this instance. You could have one house, renting each room out but its still 1 property, however mutliple lots of rent you receive.

Of course, you could own say a block of flats (5) that is company share title for example, and I would argue that would be 5 properties, but only on 1 title.

i have the same dilemma. i have one property with 2 duplexes on it.. its double the cost / double the insurance / double the maintenance / double the PM fees. I count it as 2 investments :) but thats because 4 sounds better than 3 hehe

I count an IP as a dwelling that can be sold/bought individually. So if you own a block of 4 units, then that's 4 IP's - even if they're not strata'd, they could be.

You cannot however sell of individual rooms in one house, so that would count as 1 IP - even if it is sublet by the room.

I count an IP as a dwelling that can be sold/bought individually. So if you own a block of 4 units, then that's 4 IP's - even if they're not strata'd, they could be.

You cannot however sell of individual rooms in one house, so that would count as 1 IP - even if it is sublet by the room.

I'm always confused, there is not easy way to measure. Every poll has it's problems. But at least it gives the newies a nice poll to look at.

Just remember the people that hang out here are odd ball and do not represent the majority of the australian population! I think most don't even represent the majority of property investors.

From memory the figures are about 3-5% (very unsure of this number) of population have an IP and of those with IP's only 3-5% have more than 3?

Anyone got the correct numbers for this?

Cheers
Graeme

1 PPOR
1 IP

Total Value $1.7M
Total Equity $800K

Hopefully within 12 months, that IP will miraculously turn into three and improve that net equity number too...

I'm always confused, there is not easy way to ...

Anyone got the correct numbers for this?

u3228133 posted a link to some 2005-2006 numbers in post 12 of this thread
Here they are:

Property interests- No. of individuals
1 - 1,081,067
2 - 272,677
3 - 82,283
4 - 29,738
5 - 12,082
6 or more - 12,442
Total - 1,490,289

8 x Ip's, 1 x PPOR & 1 development block with approved duplex to commence over the next few months.

Equity position before Christmas was around $800,000 but with numbers down in WA at the moment probably more like $650,000. Completion of the next duplex will take us over the $1,000,000. Started in 2004.

Is it a certain personality type that like to reveal this sort of information on an internet forum?

Not trying to be cynical..Just wondering

Good question. I can't speak for others, but I'm happy to share this type of information in the hope that it will encourage others, who may be hovering on the outskirts of property investment, to leave their comfort zone and have a go.
If it helps just one person to got off the Procrastination Express and start building a solid financial future for themselves, then it's well and truly worth divulging a little personal information.

Back