How much is enough Hot Water?

Hi all,

Our rental has a new PM, and as of Saturday new tenants.

First complaint - didn't know how to turn on the gravity-fed off-peak hot water unit, so $80 later for an electrician to turn up and (click) - it's on.

Second complaint is now that they're not happy with the water pressure, and after a few discussions are threatening legal action until it's fixed.

My question is how much is enough hot water? Granted it's never been fantastic, but it's a functional 40 year-old HWS that operates fine, albeit at lowish pressure. We lived there for 7 years, and I've had other tenants in it for the last 3.5 years - no problems.... I'm just loathe to replace it when it's still working.

Any thoughts anyone?
Ta!
Luke

or any suggestions for a replacement unit?

If anyone has suggestions on a replacement HWS - gas or electric are both options - what would you recommend?

Thanks!
Luke

Luke,
imho,
a 40 year old hws and it still works,all i can say is well done
most start to give problems in the 5 to 8 years,imho if the
hws has low pressure,then you have a problem,maybe the
internal tanks are leaking,check the water level first and
i think you will have to fill up the system,then look under
the system if the system has any water under the system
then
you will have to replace the entire hws,its hard to say
what the replacement $$ would be,a simple 3 calls to your local
plumbers will answer that question, also good luck with the new
tenants,but legal action over a simple issue like this is a joke
i would sack the pm and find someone you can work with
after all its your investment.
willair.

I would like to know what rebates are available if I install solar hot water systems when my current hot water systems fail.
As the landlord, we don't benefit from a reduction in electricity costs therefore I am considering this option for the benefit of the environment.
Does anyone know approximately how much it costs to install solar boosted with gas/electricity?
I just installed an electric HWS to replace an old one and it cost approx $1300.
I would hope that governments are encouraging the public to install this renewable energy in not just new homes but existing homes as well.:confused:

Cheers,
Crystal

Crystal,

Old hot water systems often have pressure reducing valves and smaller diameter hot water distribution pipes were used too.

The electricity authority should be able to tell you about any relevant govt incentives re solar.

Gas - if installed will need to be vented to the outside. This usually means installation outside.

A visit from your friendly plumber is warranted to give you some advice, options and estimates.

LPlate

Crystal said:
I would like to know what rebates are available if I install solar hot water systems when my current hot water systems fail.
As the landlord, we don't benefit from a reduction in electricity costs therefore I am considering this option for the benefit of the environment.
Does anyone know approximately how much it costs to install solar boosted with gas/electricity?
I just installed an electric HWS to replace an old one and it cost approx $1300.
I would hope that governments are encouraging the public to install this renewable energy in not just new homes but existing homes as well.:confused:

Cheers,
Crystal

Hi Crystal,

A quick search on the nsw.gov.au site (keyword solar) gave me this link http://www.energysmart.com.au/les/default.asp?&t=20059291

Altough the front page is about new homes, I'm sure they would be familiar with any rebates for solar conversion of old homes.

The new Building Sustainability Index (BASIX) will be interesting for new developments.

Cheers,
David.

I have a property with a dodgy electrical 3 phase on demand HWS. If the flow isn't enough it cuts off completely giving a cold shower. If the flow is too much it can't draw enough current to give you a hot shower. Alwaya needs explanation. My sister has lived there 6 years and I have lived there 2.

The way I see it your tenants are stupid, you would probably be better off without them. They have no grounds for legal action. Two choices are to either install a new HWS and keep the stupid tenants or keep the HWS and lose the tenants with or without letting them out of the lease. The fact that you lived there for so long means that it is good enough to live in.

When buying a new HWS, cheapest to install are electric storage models. (not very efficient however but obviously the tenant and the planet pays, you don't). Two choices are a large system on Off peak, may need new metering etc and system costs more. Other option is a smaller system on the regular meter.

80-125L - two people
160-250 - three people

This option will be the cheapest for you.

Cheers
Pulse

Perhaps you could just change the shower rose to a water saving device, these
restrict the flow giving you a higher pressure shower at the expense of a smaller
area covered. Might just do the trick.

If you plan to replace the HWS, I wouldn't muck around with anything other than
an instantaneous gas system. They use more gas when they are operating but
they only operate for the 20 minutes a day you are actually using hot water. Plus
most have nifty controllers that allow you to set the desired temperature.

andy

Andrew, even for an investment property you think gas is better? What about plumbing costs to exterior location, running the gas lines, bottle installation? A small storage system costs $600 - $700 new and much less second hand. as a tenant I don't really care about the controller and would find it a hassle dealing with another utility company with another deposit etc.. If I lived there I would like gass for cooking and how water - cheaper for me to run.

Cheers
Pulse

What about the Quantum hot water system, they have a built in fan and draw the warmth out of the air to heat the water, anyone had one?
Robo

Back