NON water saving Shower Heads - where do I find them?

Hi All,

The hot water pressure from the new water saving shower head is not strong because my IP has a gravity fed hot water service, and also the new water saving shower heads are not suitable for such a system. So the tenants are not happy.

I am looking for an old non water saving shower head which they don’t seem to sell anymore. Does anybody know where I could get one?

Thanks in advance.

Take a water saving shower head, turn it around and take the little thing inside the tube out of it with eagle nose pliers. It'll probably be something out of plastic or out of bronze, that's the water saving device.

Have a look at the fitting that you are using, you may be able to remove the flow restriction device in some fixtures. This can also be a problem with some instantaneous gas hws units as the flow is to low to cause the flow switch to activate and turn on the gas.

Remove the restrictor. I think they're blue plastic in most models from bunnings and such. Wouldn't hurt to get the gravity fed checked too - when you're in a position to also a good idea to get it drained and change to an external HWS as when those gravity fed ones in the ceiling blow it creates a huge, HUGE mess which can be costly to clean up depending on how well it goes...... :).

As mention above you can remove the restrictors!

Just had new water savers out in at home... So far ,isn't the old heads!

Sower just isn't the same!

Not sure about this?

Hi,
please check Victorian regulations if you can still ask your tenants for any excess water bills, :confused:

Could be that you let yourself in for paying All of their bill?

I hope this helps
Seaford Sunshine

If the tenants are requesting the removal of the restrictor and the shower isn't operating properly with the water saver head you're ok. Best to get a plumber to do it so that you can show that you had a qualified trade do the work if you are concerned. The water saver heads are a great idea, however, they just aren't compatible with some systems, gravity fed HWS being one of them. You will likely have tenants complaining about water pressure with that anyway :). I manage properties in VIC, from frankston to up a little past Mentone and have come across the issue a fair bit - never had a tenant try to claim compensation on a high water bill.

In VIC the tenants are billed directly for their water usage with the rates bill going directly to the owners. It puts more responsibility on the tenants for their water usage!

In VIC the tenants are billed directly for their water usage with the rates bill going directly to the owners. It puts more responsibility on the tenants for their water usage!

What a great idea. Certainly would make the tenant more aware of their water usage and cut the LL out of the water usage billing overhead.

Cheers

It really is fantastic! Means that any possible leaks are reported REALLY quickly too - if they aren't the tenants water bill goes up too high and they don't like to spend $$ ;)

The downside is when you have a "Shared Meter" building. That means the landlord pays all the water, including the usage.

And to get it converted to separate water meters will cost a lot of money, about $20,000 in total for a 16 apartment block. So it is really worth getting it converted??

Having shared meter for my IP's has cost me thousands over the years. Ahh the mistakes made at buying time due to inexperience or lack of good advice.

Two big buying lessons I learnt were (1) never buy in a body corporate because they are expensive to manage with too many people interfering, and (2) don't buy in shared meter building cos the water expenses are rapidly increasing.

Back