how "not to" customer service

today i was on the receiving end of some shocking customer service - so much so that even 6 hours later i'm still cross, and at the time felt so insulted that i was furious and struggled not the cry afterwards.

i went to my local farmers market for the first time, having heard they were really good - and they were.

the products on sale were so good that i decided to start my christmas shopping early.

there was a stall that had very tasty and naturally flavoured cookings oils for sale in some beautifully shaped glass containers. i struck up a conversation with the female server and started some tasting (bread dipped in the samples) on her recommendations. she went to serve someone else so i kept trying the different oils, there were about a dozen, as i wanted to make sure i was buying what my sisters in law would like.

the male behind the counter suddenly snatched the bowls of bread away and told me "if you're not going to buy you can **** off."

i was so shocked i loudly told him i couldn't believe he was so rude and that i am a buyer.

he threw me a look of scorn and flung his hand at me to tell me to "go away" while moving on to serve someone else.

absolutely furious i stood there and declared that i couldn't believe how incredibly rude he was. the girl then had a word in his ear and he quickly scurried across to apologise and offered me a free bottle.

i told him i wasn't after freebies, didn't want to deal with him and would wait until the girl was available.

i bought 4 bottle of various flavours, off the girl, as they are perfect gifts for my sisters in law - all the time the guy was apologising and explaining he was fed up with people standing their and just feeding themselves - but sheesh!

i hope he feels like crap because i was a real buyer - and i can understand his frustration at freeloaders - but i still feel sick at how i was treated and proceeded to tell everyone i came in contact with how rude he was.

perfect "not" customer service.

I would not have bought anything and told him to go stick his head up a dead bear's bum. But them I always was a problem child.

i think part of me bought to "prove" that i was a buyer and that he was an a-hole to treat anyone like that. i hope he felt like ***** - and he sure acted like he felt like that.

but they also were great gifts. great lesson as well for one going into business.

How to.. customer service

Sitting at a cafe drinking my coffee and eating a sandwich reading the Saturday real estate section. A waiter, saying he'll find them a bigger table soon, shows a couple to the table net to mine. I order a 2nd cup of coffee.

Before it arrives somen has served this couple a botle of wter and aksed to take their order they explain they'r ewtiting for more people and table. They suggest that it shouldn't be too long and would they like anything while they wait.

My coffee arivies, I've finished and they're firends had jsut arrived. I say you can have this table if you like, i'm about to go. oh thanks are your sure, yeah no worries...

I get up to pay and the waiter ( I didnt realise he was in earshot) who first seated the couple says to the lady on the till "Could you plse pay for this gentleman's coffee, he just gave up his table for that couple". I smile and say no problem, he syas "No allow us, thank you". The lady charges me for my sandwich I say I had 2 coffees, she replies "Yes that's ok. Thank you" with a smile

You reckon I haven't gone back there ?

Dont take this the wrong way lizzie, but
I can only aspire to have such a life where the day's biggest problem is Xmas shopping in September and some words from someone at market stall.

I can only aspire to have such a life where the day's biggest problem is Xmas shopping in September and some words from someone at market stall.

Just as I went to reply you have edited and toned it down somewhat, which is good to see as it was just plain rude to start with.

But fair go PB, I'm sure Lizzie has other things going on in her life, she just happened to get hit in the face with this today and decided to mention it.

And what is wrong with christmas shopping in september?
Just means she's well organised.

I would not have bought anything either like cu@thetop.

....you lawyer types are so predictable.....

Hey Lizzie - I hope you told this purveyor of fine oils - "Hey buddy, I'm lizzie on the Somersoft forum....you've no idea who you're messing with. I'm so tough, I'm from Newcastle, and despite that, I still vote Liberal !!"

That woulda put the wind right up 'im. :)

Just as I went to reply you have edited and toned it down somewhat, which is good to see as it was just plain rude to start with.
Gee, your so delicate.
Its easy negotiating on the opposite of someone who is so delicate.
No floods in your area? Fire? People getting killed? Shot? Stabbed? Car accidents?
Cancer? Alzheimers? Family members?

Oh yeah guys, I just love it when someone tells me to **** off, especially when it comes from a worker at a store i'm shopping at :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
more of a lesson that regardless of how rude he was, people would still buy...

hmmm - interesting. i still bought, but refused to deal with him and dealt with the lady i first talked with - but only after very loudly (so all other customers knew what was going on) putting him in his place.

they were the perfect gift and i didn't want to "cut off my nose" because of someone i will probably never see again.

good today - with a very full schedule.

pb - i am just organised, that when i see a gift i buy regardless of what time of year so that i'm not panicking on christmas eve. yes, it is nice not to have major worries - i think it was just the shock of being treated as such, being a easy going and generally nice person myself.

thanks daz - i don't mind standing up for myself!

gees he couldnt have been that rude surely
?...and you still purchased.......he would have worn the bowl if it was me..to hell with the consequences!

See, that's where this guy is so short sighted.

Just because nobody is buying today, doesn't mean they won't come back next month, or closer to Christmas when they need olive oil (or presents) and buy a bottle.

Helena Rubenstein used to give free samples to teenagers. She didn't reap the rewards until 10 years later when they were in their twenties with high paying jobs that enabled them to pay for her products.

Taking that in the optimistic way, it is indeed a good thing when the worst thing in your day is something relatively trivial like that. Also good to not live in an area with floods/famine/pestilence and all that, but hey - its Australia, lovely spot to live :)

Drifting off topic, what irks me the most is people who have serious dramas - and I mean really serious, not like Skater and her interrupted pattern cutting - revolving around their significant others that are obviously getting to them in a BIG way, and of course make a song and dance about it online and you just CAN'T tell them to nick orf and take advantage of a domestic violence place or just get out of there for your own sanity, bceause they're in loooooove ... but so clearly unhappy :mad:

I'd take a whine over sucky service over one of those rants (which you never see on this particular forum) anyday.

hmmm - interesting. i still bought, but refused to deal with him and dealt with the lady i first talked with - but only after very loudly (so all other customers knew what was going on) putting him in his place.

they were the perfect gift and i didn't want to "cut off my nose" because of someone i will probably never see again.

i agree that people shouldn't be rude to their customers, i just don't agree that your particular case is "a lesson". all the other customers would probably think the same and wouldn't want to 'cut off their nose' either, so he really wouldn't lose much :)

i know i personally wouldn't care if i saw this guy being rude to you, i'd still make my purchase. as i don't know the background of a fight, for all i know you might have started it.

I actually think Lizzie did teach him a lesson.

After the scene, he couldn't say to his fellow colleague "I knew she wasn't going to buy anything therefore that's why I had my rant'....

By Lizzie still buying the product she proved him wrong and he would have looked like an idiot in front of his colleague and the other customers.

Pride and all that...

OR

I just accused a customer and yet they still bought from me...perhaps I won't behave like that in future?

It was the shopkeeper that was learning the lesson not Lizzie

Back