How to bring this up with new employer?

Hi All!

I've just gone for my first job interview in over 12yrs and surprised myself when they offered me the position last week...yay!

The advertisement was looking for both full time and part time officers...I applied for a part time position (so I can still spend the bulk of my time with the property stuff we've got going at the moment)........ok, the ad had a dot point indicating that "private car and mobile phone use negotiable".

I've got my letter of offer with the salary that they're offering (can't negotiate any higher as its on the top level already) but no mention of the nitty gritty stuff like car, mobile phone etc.

I'm wondering how (what sort of words to use that won't make me sound greedy or pushy) and when I should ask about this car situation??? :confused:

Help?

Bring it up now before you accept if it is a deal breaker for you. If it's a nice to have then you can still ask before signing just say 'what is the policy around private use as I want to make sure I don't do anything wrong'

Did it mean that they supply those 2 things and you are allowed to use them for private use, or that they are prepared to reimburse you for the use of your own private vehicle and phone.

Definitely not a deal breaker but definitely want it if I can get it.

Work cars are normally provided to all the officers at this workplace and same thing with phones but I'm more interested in the car.

So not good at bringing up these sorts of things... :-(

Just give them a call and ask to clarify the package. You can ask without it seeming a demand. Ask a few more benign questions, such as hours expected to work, confirmation of super, what happens if you work additional days, and then reference the advert mentioning a car/phone and ask how that is included.
For example, "hi.. just wanted to clarify my understanding of a few things and would really appreciate your help.

If you dont ask you dont get and I've often found people love to help you if you ask questions where you make them feel important.

As the original ad said 'use negotiable' that is absolutely what it means so this is the point where you negotiate. Ask what their thoughts are as to private use and then if that doesnt suit you ask if 'xyz' is possible. Just think of it in conversational terms and it will take the panic out of it, it doesnt have to be adversarial. Do it before you sign the letter as I have had people try to bully me about this at a later stage and wouldn't have had a leg to stand on as the guy who hired me had left, so definitely say 'could you just make that official and issue another letter of offer setting out these new terms'.

Back