How to find a good valuer?

I've got no idea where to start, I can always google it and contact a few from there and compare the prices but I can't compare service.

Can anyone recommend any good valuers in Sydney? In particular the hills area?

Hi convert2online,

It depends on why you are asking.

If you are buying:
1. You want a valuer that will be ultra-conservative with a low val - so you might negotiate the price down
2. If you need finance - then it would be smart to use a panel valuer on the lender's panel so that you can have the val re-assigned to the lender after you commission it. You'll need to ring the lender and ask who is on their panel of valuers.

If you are re-valuing say after some CG has occurred or post-reno:
3. Then you want a valuer that tends on the high-side of things. But if it is for a re-finance then keep in mind point 2. above.

If you are selling:
4. Then you want a valuer that tends on the high-side as well unless you want a "reality-check" and then get a conservative one.

Aimy

Last edited:
Thanks Aimy

I've moved out and am using the property as an IP so it's to do with CGT I guess in case I move back in, although I never plan to sell so maybe I don't need to value? But things change I guess and I might want to sell but I love the hold strategy with passive income

I've moved out and am using the property as an IP so it's to do with CGT I guess in case I move back in
If its just for possible CGT issues down the track, I think you will find it sufficient to get 2 or 3 REA appraisals (for free) and keep them on file.

although I never plan to sell so maybe I don't need to value? But things change I guess and I might want to sell but I love the hold strategy with passive income
Best laid plans can change due to all sorts of events. Cover all bases and get the REA appraisals just in case. In any event if you never do sell and the property eventually passes onto your beneficiaries, I think (??) they will still need to know.

Aimy:D

how about option 1?

Hi

How bout option 1 as i'm a first IP buyer.. and where can i find tat fantastic conservative valuer?

Do I get a valuer before I give an offer? I kinda lost with the procedure.
Thanks alot!!!

rgds
simone:confused:

C2O

Can i ask a question... I'm just a bit 'lost' as
You're asking about valuers but then you have a push on having a 'find a good broker hyperlink...'

most of the brokers I know would know whos a good valuer depending on the circumstances...

I note on your profile you appear to do web design but dont know why you dont promote this instead.?

Hi

How bout option 1 as i'm a first IP buyer.. and where can i find tat fantastic conservative valuer?

Thanks alot!!!

rgds

Simone

From my perspective...
If you're buying as a first IP buyer then end of the day if you do a valuation it will be more for your peace of mind (per se) rather than the banks' mortgage security purposes.

Either a valuer or a buyers agent perhaps

Just make sure you structure your loans well - there are heaps of MBs on the forum who can help you out.

Good luck with things

Regards

Richard

I've got no idea where to start, I can always google it and contact a few from there and compare the prices but I can't compare service.

Aimjoy is correct. You needn't pay for a valualtion for the purposes you mention.

Hi

Thanks alot!!!

rgds

Simone, if you do a little bit of research, then a valuation is superfluous. In addition, if its going to be your first IP, there is a learning process that you will go through whilst doing this research, of which the benefits will be far more valuable than effectively outsourcing the pricing research to a valuer.

Back