How to Kill A Paperbark Tree?

For a number of reasons, I need to get rid of several paperbark trees and tall thorny native shrubs. Chainsaws and axes are out - I am too old; contractors are too expensive. We've tried salting the ground and failed. In any case there's a lot of ground to cover.

I've managed to get rid of gum trees in the past by ringbarking them and daubing the wounds with roundup. But this strategy does not seem to work with paperbarks as the wood/bark seems a lot drier than that of gumtrees.

Does anyone from a rural background have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

PS> I love trees. But sometimes (and my reasons are complex) they have to go.

You could try hammering copper nails into the tree as low as you can. As previous posts say, you could also drill holes and put tree killer in it. There is a certain stuff for trees that is stronger than roundup but I can't remember the name. Ask a horticulturist at flower power or equivelant.

Roundup is an amazing chemical, but to kill a tree there is better stuff. I'd try to get some tordon or grazon and inject it into the trunk. Roundup is more for spraying onto the leaves, but these two I just mentioned will really go well. Just an axe cut, then pour some into the cut.

See yas.

Pee around the base of the trunk as often as possible. It's powerful stuff....my yard is full of patches of dead grass.

But for heavens sake don't brew any of the leaves after a slash lol.

Gunna need a lot of salt to kill paperbarks , I have them here on waterfront
right up to the edge of the lake which is salt.

Thanks for the replies.

The location has no power and my cordless drill does not seem to be able to bore thru the hard wood in order to make holes to administer the dosage.

Any ideas? Maybe I need a better drill? I'm reluctant to use an axe for obvious reasons.

Thanks everyone for replying.

Thanks for the replies.

The location has no power and my cordless drill does not seem to be able to bore thru the hard wood in order to make holes to administer the dosage.

Any ideas? Maybe I need a better drill? I'm reluctant to use an axe for obvious reasons.

Did you reply from wrong account ?

Thanks for the replies.

Geez, how many accounts do you have?

For a number of reasons, I need to get rid of several paperbark trees and tall thorny native shrubs. Chainsaws and axes are out - I am too old; contractors are too expensive. We've tried salting the ground and failed. In any case there's a lot of ground to cover.

I've managed to get rid of gum trees in the past by ringbarking them and daubing the wounds with roundup. But this strategy does not seem to work with paperbarks as the wood/bark seems a lot drier than that of gumtrees.

Does anyone from a rural background have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

PS> I love trees. But sometimes (and my reasons are complex) they have to go.

Maybe you and LS have the same problem and can share notes? :)

Reactions: S.T
Back