How to Kill A Paperbark Tree?

Some points to think about.

Roundup/glyphosate is for foliage (it will work on palms as they are not woody veg). If you want to kill woody veg, you need Grazon or Access or similar. Usually you need to cut them down and then paint the stump, though with shrubs you can get away with spraying the mix on the lower trunk. Usually you also need some other chems in the mix (surfactants etc.) to enable uptake.

Whta intrigues me is what you're going to do with the dead trees. Are you going to leave them standing? What happens when they fall over in time, as they will if they're dead? You're in a location with no electricity. Do you have no neighbours? Or if the trees fall over will they damage neighbour's houses? Or can they damage your house if they fall over? I am thinking that if they are too big for you to cut down, they're probably big enough to do damage if they fall over later.

If you can cut them down and chip them, you get woodchips plus a stump that is much easier to poison (and keep poisoned if it reshoots). IMO that's the best outcome - safe and controlled removal, ongoing mgt option + recycled resource that can be used.

Some points to think about.

Usually you need to cut them down and then paint the stump, though with shrubs you can get away with spraying the mix on the lower trunk. Usually you also need some other chems in the mix (surfactants etc.) to enable uptake.

If you can cut them down and chip them, you get woodchips plus a stump that is much easier to poison (and keep poisoned if it reshoots). IMO that's the best outcome - safe and controlled removal, ongoing mgt option + recycled resource that can be used.

Have done this one before. Any ideas on how to get rid of the stumps and roots?

Stumpgrinder, though I have not seen them so successful myself.

I would get the tree lopper to take it off as close as possible to the ground and then just keep poisoning the regrowth. The roots will rot out after they've died, you just need to keep up the poison, and not a foliar one, go for neat Access or similar.

Back