How to Spot Illegal Building: Buyer Beware Don't Get Caught !

Thought this was quite relevant, and might be of use to some:

National Statistics on Building Faults from Archicentre Inspections

Victoria 33%

QLD 23%

WA 24%

NSW 22%

SA 43%
TAS 30%

Archicentre carries out 20,000 inspections annually on homes with illegal building being identified as a major problem.

Often home buyers are not aware of the illegal building and could find themselves in lengthy court proceedings or having to undertake costly repairs in relation to wiring, plumbing or structural repairs.

Some of the basic signs of illegal building include:
  • Wiring which has not been correctly and neatly arranged.
  • Unsympathetic additions using materials which do not blend with the original home.
  • The removal of walls inside the home to 'open up' the interior of the home.
  • The building of extensions over gully traps.
  • Ceilings that are lower than regulation height.
  • Toilets positioned directly off areas such as kitchens where food is prepared.
  • Lack of adequate ventilation in toilets, laundry, and bathroom areas.
  • Staircases which do not conform to regulations.
  • how to use the Archicentre Pre-Purchase House Inspection report to negotiate a sale price. Find Out More - audio interview.

buyer beware

Sailor
is correct . Please have a pre purchase inspection report carried out by a tradesman. There r some traps in buyer beware and suffe the consequences.
The councils in QLD R getting very strict and there is a possibly of a fine if specs aren't followed.
Geoff

The councils in QLD R getting very strict and there is a possibly of a fine if specs aren't followed.
Geoff

I guess this would include a granny flat under part of a highset house that may or may not be legal height?
Asked the agent if it was council approved & they reckon they dont know - In my mind that means not!

What about garages converted into rooms - how/is this affected by council regs as they are everywhere??

Cheers
Stella

I think Archicentre go over the top as they want every little addition designed by an architect and can attack extensions put on 30 years ago when you could draw a rough sketch on the back of a notepad. If you keep this in mind than They are fine.

just a side note....there's a great insurance product out there that protects buyers from this very thing.

it basically covers you for anything done to the house which wasn't council approved/or illegal....so if council end up finding out about it and make you rip it all down and do it properly, the insurer pays for the lot :). We got a quote once and its the same price as any other typical home insurance but i thought it was a great idea for those who want to buy a house but are concerned the illegal structure may turn around to bite them in the bum later on!

Back