How to Stop Mouth Breathing

If you put a rolled up sock in your mouth at night then I can assure you that you wont become a hunchback.

Or roll up the sock and shove it between your shoulder blades. Then lie back and mouth breathe all you like. The sock will counteract the hunching.

Seriously though, I suggest a few yoga postures when you get up. Or just before you jump into bed - may make a world of difference. In yoga breathing and posture are entwined. So it may help to reverse some of the muscle tightening that happens when you are asleep.

Borrow a book from the library (we forumites love a freebie!) and look up a few postures that are good for neck/back/shoulders

Yoga is top stuff. My new year's res was to do yoga twice a week. Partly to make myself meditate regularly. After a few weeks I found it made such a difference I have been doing it pretty much daily.

soooooo - from that article, is the mouth breath caused by the poor sleeping posture or the poor sleeping posture caused by the mouth breathing?

personally i think the former.

i too am a mouth breather, but have found that since we bought a gell/memory foam bed and updated out 12yr old pillows, i sleep more on my well supported back which prevents the mouth breathing.

Back