How to think like a millionaire

Snippets, FYI.

Full article at:

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,7615694%5E421,00.html

October 21, 2003

A 10-year study into more than 1000 millionaires, by Sydney business consultant Brian Sher, shows there are a range of common thought patterns shared by the rich.

Here are 10 tips on how to think like a millionaire from his book, How to Make Money Out of Thin Air, released earlier this year.

1. Have an abundance mentality

Wealthy people tend to believe there is an abundance of opportunity for everyone and do not feel the need to grab at the first opportunity that comes their way. Less successful people have a scarcity mentality. They are motivated by fear and believe there will only be few opportunities for them.

2. Apply the concept of high leveraging

Mr Sher says most financially successful people don't make their money by selling their own time, but by creating and selling businesses which can operate independently from them. In other words, by creating businesses which benefit from capital gains and value adding.

3. Have a clear vision

Mr Sher says a clear vision of what you want to achieve is the most important quality needed to acquire riches. The key, he says, is to find a calling and then focus on mastering it. "Too many people make the mistake of not focusing," he says.

4. Beware of dream thieves

Everyone comes across doomsdayers who discourage them from fulfilling their dreams, but the more successful people are able to rationalise the criticism and, if necessary, cast it off.

5. Hang out with Lleyton Hewitt instead

Just as successful people avoid doomsdayers, they will choose to spend time with other successful people. The shared sense of common challenges makes them feel secure, and often inspires them to greater heights.

6. Use your gut instinct

It is sometimes called a sixth sense, or a good old-fashioned hunch. It may not inspire the greatest of confidence when used as the sole basis for business decisions, but few will deny it exists. "Successful people use this sixth sense to see opportunities others don't see," says Mr Sher. "While most people will see an empty store and wonder why it went bankrupt, a successful person will listen to their gut and wonder what they can put in it to make it work."

7. Be "delusional"

Successful people often have higher expectations of themselves than less successful people, which usually pushes them to do bigger and better things. They also know how to ignore detractors who usually see their lofty dreams and great visions as delusional. Mr Sher says people who dare to have big dreams are more likely to achieve them than those who don't dream at all.

8. Have PCD

Passion, Commitment and Discipline - is the core to all financial success.

9. Accept failure

People who make a lot of money are also likely to make mistakes. Successful people accept this and do not let it shatter their confidence or prevent them from continuing their business. "It's impossible to make a lot of money Land not make some mistakes - sometimes million dollar mistakes - but successful people accept this and move on."

10. Remember, life is not a test drive.

Successful people are usually action-oriented and do not procrastinate. Less successful people often fail to put their ideas into practice because they fear they won't succeed or because of sheer laziness.

MB

Great article - thanks for the post Pitt St!

And I agree entirely with the ten 'tips'. It's all about your mindset!

Cheers,

Aceyducey

An interesting list. It seems to have some commonalities with traits mentioned in 'The Millionaire Mind' and 'The Millionaire Next Door'. These books are based on a study of approx 700 millionaires in the US.

The main difference seems to be that Stanley's millionaires live conservatively. They do not wear flashy clothes, abhor gambling, live in modest houses and seldom move, do not drive imported cars, seldom divorce, value education and choose their careers and spouse wisely. Most were self-employed and saved/invested more than they spent.

Stanley found that most millionaires were self-made in one generation. Many were in very ordinary unhyped industries, eg scrap metal, drycleaning or similar.

It would be interesting to see what similarities and differences people can find between here and the US.

Peter

hehehe nicely done Pitt...

I posted the same thing, I've deleted it now...

I just wanted to say, I get my shoes resoled!!!

asy :D

Eeeek, Asy -

I was trying to reply to your thread while you were deleting it. Tres confusion!!

Many thanks to yourself and Pitt St for taking the trouble to type all that wonderful stuff onto the forum.

Maybe we should all take up golf?

Other than that, the list makes fascinating reading. However, the shoes I have on my feet at the moment would defy resoleing. The soles are fine, but the sides have worn away. When I go out to the letterbox I have to hold the shoes on with curled toes, and my socks get wet if the ground is wet.

I love these shoes. Keeping them indicates to me (apart from the fact that moths live in my purse) the choices I have about myself and my life style, my ten year old car and even older jumpers and shoes. Of course, for business I wear my Fletcher Jones suit, but investing has provided me with freedom of choice.

I laughed at the bit about the mandarines. And remember my recent post about the bought lunches? I have asked a few people about that since posting and it's surprising how shamefaced and defiant the responses have been.

Cut lunches, old shoes, ten year old cars - good, old fashioned people, living lives that suit them, becoming wealthy almost by accident. Easy, really, when you think about it!

Happy millionairing

Kristine

Hi all

Great list and interesting replies.

Are property investors more conservative than share investors? (in how they live their life and spend money.)

A broad statement, but i tend to think it's true.

The share market is seen as a lively and exciting ride - with prices detailed every second of the day.

Property is a less dramatic, smoother ride (apart from some cr*p tenants!)

What do you think?

Garry

Garry

Not that I can speak from personal experience (everyone knows I have none!), but perhaps as one moves further up the "food chain" in property into things like renovations, subdivisions and full-on development, it becomes a more 'dramatic' affair?

MB

Hi all,

Depending on your definition of "millionaire", I think that there are quite a few who already frequent this forum and freely offer advice. Some probably don't even think they are.

bye

Interesting reading. Thanks Pitt :)

It's easy enough to read all of this stuff, but when it comes down to it, the last point is the most important. Life is not a test drive. I like that. I really do. It says it all.
It's not just about wealth, but living your life to the full. We only have one shot at it- so let's make it a worthwhile one. Then again, if you believe in reincarnation...... :)

Originally posted by Jacque
Then again, if you believe in reincarnation...... :)

<tongue firmly planted in cheek>

Now *there* is a way to finally realise some CG on those high yield regionals :D :D

< end tongue in cheek>

Sorry couldn't resist.
cheers...............

"New"car

G'day people,

And thanks for the thoughts that comprise this thread !!!

I've just upgraded my car - gave my '84 Fairlane to a mate (who'll have a lot of fun either wrecking it, or doing it up, and perhaps gain some dollars from it). So now I have a younger car (had one as a Company car and LOVED it!!) - so, for those that know me, don't look for a gold Fairlane any more. Now have a '90 Skyline (with 170k on the clock).

Feels like being in a new car, goes like a shower, and should even save me a few dollars a week (only 3 litre instead of 4.2). The Jag can wait a little longer - next car(?)

Looking forward to the drive to Melbourne this weekend.....

Regards,

Hi Pitt St
Great thread
Good summary.
Love those positive style topics.
Didn't notice any reference to financial education - financial restraints, etc in the 10, possible exception of No. 8
Good summary from Spiderman also - The American studies also seemed to emphasise a larger financial household increase for most wealthy families due to the 'other halfs' prudence with housekeeping costs (where the main or only money earner was male )
Seems some of the old quotes are still valid
"Look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves"
Never did see any money with eyes :rolleyes:
jahn

Back