Htc Desire

I wouldnt trust China Ebay for anything legitimate, so i highly doubt that is genuinely an HTC Desire HD.... especially considering they have the name so screwed up (this is a typical ploy of chinese dodgy sellers).

I'm going to Taipei, Shanghai, Guangzhou and Hong Kong - so i've got plenty of opportunity to sort out where is the cheapest to buy :)

That's Aussie ebay. And it looks like the phone is from here.
There are plenty that come from Hong Kong/China tho, much cheaper.

I wouldnt trust China Ebay for anything legitimate, so i highly doubt that is genuinely an HTC Desire HD.... especially considering they have the name so screwed up (this is a typical ploy of chinese dodgy sellers).

I'm going to Taipei, Shanghai, Guangzhou and Hong Kong - so i've got plenty of opportunity to sort out where is the cheapest to buy :)

I'm exactly the same. My iPhone 3G is running like ****, and is starting to ***** me off.

Gotta love the hatred for iTunes here... and having just had iTunes completely die on my last night and REFUSE to sync my Nano, my hatred of iTunes has reach a new level.

Im heading to Hong Kong in 2 weeks, and will be SERIOUSLY looking to buy a HTC Desire HD over there if i can find one.

I wouldve grabbed the HTC Desire already, but it's exclusive to Telstra and I would sooner willingly contract aids than have a phone with Telstra.

I did note Vodafone is getting the HTC Desire HD (yay!), but it will probably be on a $80/mth cap-plan for 24 months... which is way more than i spend per month, and would be a total cost of $1920 over 2 years.
I could happily survive on a vodafone sim-only $35/mth cap, and if i can buy the phone outright for under $800, then I am well ahead (total cost over 2 years would be $1640).

Im hoping that with the massive strength of the AUD at the moment, buying in Hong Kong will be worthwhile :)

Tell me about it! It's so sloooooow and keeps blacking out all the time now.

Don't get me started on itunes, I've lost count of the times it's messed itself up or my phone.

I checked in at the vodafone website yesterday but no word on an eta or what plan it would be on (my guess would be the same as you with a high end plan). I'll probably just end up buying it outright as my husband and mum are with vodafone and the reception is really bad where we are.

I'd be a bit iffy buying one from Hong Kong at the moment as they've only just announced the phone in the UK and they're not even for sale in the UK yet (link to reputable UK seller). I'm waiting until they're available in the UK and then to trickle into the grey market. But who knows, they may be for sale outright in aus for a reasonable price.... :rolleyes:

I'm sitting here watching iTunes supposedly "restore" my nano to factory settings.
It's been going for about 15 mins, and no sign of stopping anytime soon.

It's like it's just lost the ability to command the iPod to do stuff, like delete music.

Yeah... No more apple for me.
I'm not too worried about hong kong purchase. I go there quite regularly, and since their dollar is pegged to the US it's good buying there right now.
If it's not much cheaper than here, I'll wait till it's available here is aus

no eBay thanks

I'm sitting here watching iTunes supposedly "restore" my nano to factory settings.

It's like it's just lost the ability to command the iPod to do stuff, like delete music.

I'm not too worried about hong kong purchase. I go there quite regularly, and since their dollar is pegged to the US it's good buying there right now.

no eBay thanks

Maybe check out the HTC Wildfire available at outlets other than TELSTRA I believe?

Id rather have the protection of eBay and PayPal than buying at a store in HK and never seeing the place again.

They are from Australia at a very cheap price and cheaper if the come from HK or China. But still bought off Ebay Australia.

Why don't you trust eBay and prefer to buy in HK at a more expensive price?

Id be interested in your comments as i might be missing something here.

no eBay thanks

Id rather have the protection of eBay and PayPal than buying at a store in HK and never seeing the place again.

They are from Australia at a very cheap price and cheaper if the come from HK or China. But still bought off Ebay Australia.

Why don't you trust eBay and prefer to buy in HK at a more expensive price?

Id be interested in your comments as i might be missing something here.

Buying off ebay, especially where the title of the product does not correctly match the product that i want... is a sure fire sign of "DODGY". You will invariably be shipped a product that is NOT what you want.
It should be noted that the HTC Desire HD is not even released for sale yet, hence it would be impossible for someone on ebay to be flogging it already.
I've come across SEVERAL occasions where you buy something on ebay that "looks" like what you want - but when you get it, it's something else. Then when you try to challenge the seller, it turns out that the jibberish description does kinda match what you were delivered, and you are stuck with a lemon, and forced to suck on it.

Ebay and Paypal protection wont cover you for this.

... and then you have the issue of warranty. There is no warranty with ebay and paypal.

I travel to HK at least twice a year. In Wan Chai, there are the computer markets, and this is where I will look to buy. 90% of stores in these markets have been there the entire 3 years or so ive been travelling there, and so i know that there is a physical store i can return to should i come up with an issue. It's not really a market per se, its basically a shopping mall full of computer/electronics shops.

Most people dont realise this about HK - it's not dodgy street markets like in Thailand and Vietnam and stuff. These are genuine shop fronts, just like a camera house or a shop in an arcade on Pitt St. I trust these far and above what i trust egay.

As for other aussie online sellers such as MobiCon - yeah im looking at those, and doing the comparison to buying in HK. Mobicon and the like still have to buy the phones from the aussie distributor, so im not so sure they will have better pricing than I could get in HK. I have my target price in mind, and if neither HK nor Aussie online stores can beat it, then i will just hold out and wait until they are released on plans.

Ok, do you mean that model (HTC Desire HD) has not been released in Australia only, or OS as well.

Mate, millions would disagree with you about the safety and quality or otherwise of "egay" but its your opinion.

If you cant read a description properly, well.....:rolleyes:

Yeah- the Desire HD has not officially been released anywhere in the world. Its due for release to Asia and the UK first, in October (ie, nowish)

for such a high ticket purchase, i would prefer to have a bricks and mortar store to back you up, and to physcially hold the product prior to laying out your money for it. Ebay offers nothing of the sort.

As for the description, from your link above, the description of the item is listed as:
New HTC TOUCH HD2 HD 2 T8585 LEO Unlocked Phone AU MAP

That descriptions doesnt match the correct title of "HTC Desire HD"

I only found one seller selling a proper Desire HD: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HTC-DESIRE-H...52945?pt=AU_Mobile_Phones&hash=item588a1c9c91

This is more expensive than Mobicon, and definitely more expensive than HK.

There is an online seller in the UK, listing them for 390GBP ex-VAT, which converts to ~$620 aussie. I'd be very happy with this price!!
http://www.handtec.co.uk/section.php/136/1/htc

On the 5GB plan with Tesltra now, so have added in the function to check emails when out and about (don't download attachements though) and playing with the trail version of WhereIS Navigator

As a bonus Angry Birds and Sudoko etc are a great way to waste time sitting in an Airport waiting for a plane

Hubby just got a Desire, and I went for a Wildfire. Hobby has just "rooted" his Desire, so these strips gave me a giggle. Obviously the term was coined in the USA where apparently it has a different meaning. ;)

The main differences between the Desire and Wildfire relate to screen size and memory. I find the Wildfire has enough of both to make me a very happy Android user - and proud Apple virgin. :D

Hi Perp

Had to google the term with reference to the phone to see what you meant (knowing what i thought was WAY off base also); Five great reasons to root your Android Phone was one of the results

Similar to Jailbreaking an iPod or iPhone :)

The App's available on these types of phones are interesting, I was listening to someone talking about lootogo which locates nearby toilets (great if you have kids) and a FindmyCar useful if parking in the city and/or going to an event etc

Currently use the original Stock application on the phone to monitor personal and SMSF stocks

The inbuilt camera though not to good on moving objects, has a great photo resolution with the 5 megapixel camera and the inbuilt video has been great to capture the kids at play when out and about (just have to work out how to watch it on a PC when downloaded so I can send the files to the grandparents).

i ended up buying the Desire HD when it came out a bit over a week ago - got it thru Vodafone on a plan, as it was definitely cheap enough ($49 cap + $25 handset charge per month, for 12 months).

GREAT phone, but does have one or two flaws.
- speaker (ringer) volume isnt loud enough, definitely not as loud as iphone
- battery life isnt great, but isnt anywhere near as bad as some people say
- touch screen is a little sensitive, but you get used to it

In all other aspects though, it craps on my old iPhone.

My happiest moment was permanently removing iTunes from my computer.
I hope that it never returns.

Got stuck out in the boondocks taking a mate home, the GPS in the vehicle is on the fritz as its not recieving any power and I've yet to take it to the vehicle hospital.

After many and varied turns I dropped him off in the hills area and then had a stab at making my way back. Afetr a few km's and not being too sure i decided to use the GPS in the phone...worked a treat ;)

Back