Hunter Valley

Hi,

I am looking for some advice from anyone who has purchased an IP in the Lower Hunter Valley area. I'm researching the area and would like any feedback from anyone who has.

Thanking you in advance:)

I am looking for some advice from anyone who has purchased an IP in the Lower Hunter Valley area. I'm researching the area and would like any feedback from anyone who has.

Hi Flamingo,

As BA's we buy a lot for clients in Newy and the Lower Hunter - it is our stamping ground.

I am not touting for business (unless you are really looking to outsource to a buyers' agent) but if you'd like to tell me what you are looking for, then I should be able to point you in the right direction - so you can save a bit of time and go looking for yourself.

There are some very high yielding suburbs and some select pockets that we've come across if you are looking for yield. GC - different again.

Thank you! All help is appreciated. I was looking around the Rothbury, Branxton and Great area but I'm open to any suburb that has a yield.

Thank you! All help is appreciated. I was looking around the Rothbury, Branxton and Great area but I'm open to any suburb that has a yield.

Branxton has already had huge cap. growth. Also it benefits from the newly announced extension to the F3 freeway.

If you are after yield, get yourself a compass - not one of those things that points North either - one with a stabby pointy thing at one end and a pencil in the other - for drawing circles with - like you had in school.:D

Get a map of Newcastle and suburbs. Go to the scale on the bottom left hand side of the map and set the compass to measure 1,000 metres (1km).

Stick the stabby end in the heart of the Newcastle University in Callaghan and draw yourself a circle. Inside that circle is some of the best yield I can find. It is in high demand - constant supply of Uni students - lots of foreign Uni students whose parents pay too. Typical Uni students have no car - need to walk to Uni and will do so for 800m to 1km max.

For brand new stuff - work on $140 per room
For decent 2nd hand stuff - $130 per room
For dumps - $100 per room

You don't rent per room - but you calculate the weekly rent that way. Lease is done in standard way to one person who is responsible.
i.e. 3 brm house = $130 x 3 = $390pw
That house will cost you $290K-$320K to buy.
If you can get 4brm (has to have 2 bathroom) .........well you do the sums.

Buy one, then get outta town and leave me the rest ;)

Hi Propertunity,
What about the DHA in this area?
What suburbs ar they focusing on? I have a number of the recruiter in this area to call regarding DHA as one option.
There are some older style places around cessnock etc on larger blocks to renno, and subdivde and new build etc.
Lisag
(sorry poor spelling and grammar watching a bid on ebay final minutes!!!!)

Hi Propertunity,
What about the DHA in this area?
What suburbs ar they focusing on?
Hi lisag, now you are stretching the friendship. I'm not giving away all my secrets for free. This is how I make a living :p

There are some older style places around cessnock etc on larger blocks to renno, and subdivde and new build etc.

Yes, lisag, you go to Cessnock - stay away from Callaghan:D:D Cessnock much better for you.

Hi Flamingo

I've bought and sold in nearby Singleton- great town with industry including army, mining and agriculture. Though I only have one property up there now its always been rented and I've never had any problems, despite it being in the cheaper end of town. Singleton is larger than Branxton and Greta (though I think residents would prefer your spelling of Great :D) and has more diversity population wise. However, I can't really comment on the Newcastle area- Alan's your fountain of knowledge that side of town.

Thank you! Singleton was one of the areas that I was looking at. The comment had been made that the area was desperate for rental properties. I thought that may be the case.

Just bear in mind that the trend over the last few months has been for a slightly higher rental vacancy rate.

Thank you! You are just a wealth of information... so much to learn. Off to an invetment course next week, so hopefully I will be armed with more insight.

Thank you propertunity!:)

Stick the stabby end in the heart of the Newcastle University in Callaghan and draw yourself a circle. Inside that circle is some of the best yield I can find. It is in high demand - constant supply of Uni students - lots of foreign Uni students whose parents pay too. Typical Uni students have no car - need to walk to Uni and will do so for 800m to 1km max.

On paper, that is a nice yield.

University has long holidays though, from October-November to February, so is there ever any trouble with finding tenants for this period, or having tenants not pay during this period?

Thank you! You are just a wealth of information... so much to learn. Off to an invetment course next week, so hopefully I will be armed with more insight.

Just curious which course you are doing.

Be careful that it's not one of the ones that push you to buy their stuff.

There are LOADS of free weekend courses available.

Some good, some not. They all offer something for a beginner though.

Good luck on your investment journey.

On paper, that is a nice yield.
University has long holidays though, from October-November to February, so is there ever any trouble with finding tenants for this period, or having tenants not pay during this period?

In my experience, most of them continue with their leases over the holiday period as rents are always tight and there's no guarantee they can find a suitable one again before the Uni starts back.

I'm sure the same exists around any Uni really - perhaps SYD has a higher entry level? I've been buying in this patch for a while.

Check the bus routes go past where you're buying too and be careful of a couple of developers who are buying / developing / selling OTP there.

All the best with it.

Branxton has already had huge cap. growth. Also it benefits from the newly announced extension to the F3 freeway.

If you are after yield, get yourself a compass - not one of those things that points North either - one with a stabby pointy thing at one end and a pencil in the other - for drawing circles with - like you had in school.:D

Get a map of Newcastle and suburbs. Go to the scale on the bottom left hand side of the map and set the compass to measure 1,000 metres (1km).

For brand new stuff - work on $140 per room
For decent 2nd hand stuff - $130 per room
For dumps - $100 per room

You don't rent per room - but you calculate the weekly rent that way. Lease is done in standard way to one person who is responsible.
i.e. 3 brm house = $130 x 3 = $390pw
That house will cost you $290K-$320K to buy.
If you can get 4brm (has to have 2 bathroom) .........well you do the sums.

Buy one, then get outta town and leave me the rest ;)
Love it!:)

Kudos for you, Alan,

That would have taken a few "sighs" and "here we goes" to do.

Now, I'm off to buy me some Newcastle.;):p

Regards JO

Now, I'm off to buy me some Newcastle.;)

Or maybe I'm the one doing the developments and I'm trying to get people to buy into the area to pump up my prices? :cool::cool:

Or as I said: Buy one, then get outta town and leave me the rest

There's plenty for everybody - it is not a secret to the locals :) - but I'm feeling generous - we've had a good month :D

Back