Hybrid Camry: Interim report.

Some may remember I bought a hybrid six months ago, and at least one wanted an update down the track.

I was prompted to make this post to extol the virtues of the remote control. It went through the wash a couple of days ago and still works. Yea! Maybe this has something to do with the Miele washer because we have found a little frog in it three times now, and only once BEFORE it went through the cycle.

How can a washer that doesn't kill your remote OR your frog be bad?

But the Camry is good. It's not for rev-heads, it is functional but does not lay rubber. I don't like the fact that the engine gets fussy and noisy [not a roar, that's OK] at overtaking speeds. Admittedly I sink the wellie and expect 140 k plus quickly when overtaking. It does it, but objects.

I shouldn't be a rev-head at my age anyway so I amuse myself with the technology which is brilliant. If you keep the throttle steady @ 60, the petrol engine will switch off and you maintain speed from the battery. BUT your power steering, brakes and aircon are still going. They are all electrically powered.

There is an array of information available to the driver and if you are like me, you use it. It teaches you how to drive economically while keeping up with the traffic.

They only cost a little more than a similarly equipped non-hybid car so if you want that size car and do the miles commuting, it's the car for you.

And the fuel consumption todate would be ??

Didn't mention that did I?

It presents it's best face in the city, 60 to 70 ks. In good conditions well under 6l/100 is achievable. I get speeding tickets on the highway but still achieve figures neatly under 7. There are shopping trolleys that achieve that but they ARE smaller. These figures are from the car's computer. Actual figures from my Cairns trip were still 6.8 [or something like that] and I was dead lucky not to get a ticket.

Doing that trip again this weekend. I'll post an update if you wish.

BTW It has an engine tuned for torque, not power and is perfectly happy on our crappy unleaded.

Nice report Sunfish - thanks!

I had previously discounted hybrids but now the price differential has compressed quite a bit, while the efficient euro turbo diesels are still asking quite a price premium in this size range of car.

Good to see some real options out there...

I was one of those who wanted an update.

A client of mine has one of the new hybrid Lexus sedan and is similarly wrapped with it for similar reasons.

Nice report Sunfish - thanks!

I had previously discounted hybrids but now the price differential has compressed quite a bit, while the efficient euro turbo diesels are still asking quite a price premium in this size range of car.

Good to see some real options out there...

HE, I have been 'round the block a few times and STILL distrust European cars when it comes to reliability/affordability. Granted they are big on pizazz and style. 'Tis OK to have an Alpha as your toy, but not as your commute.

What is not generally known is that our fuel is crap. No 1 son gets accredited as "team photographer" for a team running a small Toyota in endurance races. He went to Germany for the Le Mans 24 hr and the Bathurst a couple of years ago. None of the Australian entered VW diesels survived that one. The European teams were shocked when they were told that the Aussies used local bowser fuel. They brought their own with them.

I would absolutely LOVE to own the VW 1.3 L turbo/supercharged diesel, but only if someone else was picking up the bill.

BTW.. You don't really save much time by speeding. Please drive safe :)
No. But it is safer driving a bit fast and alert than dreaming at a snail's pace.

I have driven nearly two million k's and the only times I've collapsed my front bumper was when I was shunted in the city.

Please don't preach.

I think you have a knack for picking good things. Steve Jobs agonised for 2 weeks before buying a Miele washing machine because it does a gentler cycle which makes clothes last longer and leaves them softer.

HE, I have been 'round the block a few times and STILL distrust European cars when it comes to reliability/affordability. Granted they are big on pizazz and style. 'Tis OK to have an Alpha as your toy, but not as your commute.

What is not generally known is that our fuel is crap. No 1 son gets accredited as "team photographer" for a team running a small Toyota in endurance races. He went to Germany for the Le Mans 24 hr and the Bathurst a couple of years ago. None of the Australian entered VW diesels survived that one. The European teams were shocked when they were told that the Aussies used local bowser fuel. They brought their own with them.

I would absolutely LOVE to own the VW 1.3 L turbo/supercharged diesel, but only if someone else was picking up the bill.

If it makes you feel any better I've had 3 euros (2 BMW and an Audi) that I took to a minimum of 200k each without any issues. My current is a golf r that I do 40.000 a year in.

Agree on fuel 100%. Also agree with you regarding sensible driving in country areas and overtaking.

If it makes you feel any better I've had 3 euros (2 BMW and an Audi) that I took to a minimum of 200k each without any issues. My current is a golf r that I do 40.000 a year in.

Agree on fuel 100%. Also agree with you regarding sensible driving in country areas and overtaking.
I am pleased to be proven wrong on Euro cars, but I have never been able to pull the trigger and buy one myself. I know my Camry is locally made but I do prefer Japanese marques for reliability.

And thanks Shuggy. It took me a long time to realisise that quality lasts longer than the memory of the price.

I am pleased to be proven wrong on Euro cars, but I have never been able to pull the trigger and buy one myself. I know my Camry is locally made but I do prefer Japanese marques for reliability.

And thanks Shuggy. It took me a long time to realisise that quality lasts longer than the memory of the price.

Yep. I hear you. I'm doing more and more country kms so reconsidering things.

I just wish they did an awd version.

I just wish they did an awd version.
It will happen. But I am surprised that hybrid technology hasn't been adopted in the heavy transport industry.

I envision a Mack with the motor/generators outboard the diffs so they can start heavy loads moving with lighter transmissions and possibly even doing away with the double reduction boxes. But there are smarter guys than I out there. :D

No. But it is safer driving a bit fast and alert than dreaming at a snail's pace.

I have driven nearly two million k's and the only times I've collapsed my front bumper was when I was shunted in the city.

Please don't preach.

So you would think it's fine doing 110 than say 100 in a 100 zone???

You have to be more alert doing the speed limit to ensure you are not exceeding the limit and less alert speeding as you just don't bother what speed you are doing??

I never understand the mentality of people that speed.

I'd rather get to where I'm going a few minutes later than getting there in a body bag.

So you would think it's fine doing 110 than say 100 in a 100 zone???

You have to be more alert doing the speed limit to ensure you are not exceeding the limit and less alert speeding as you just don't bother what speed you are doing??

I never understand the mentality of people that speed.

I'd rather get to where I'm going a few minutes later than getting there in a body bag.

Can you try explaining that in a way that makes sense?

So for those who wish to discuss speeding perhaps they can start a speeding thread?

Meanwhile, for those of us potentially interested in a Hybrid Camry... :rolleyes:

i was excited about the volt, thinking it would be perfect for my commute, then i saw the price tag and promptly changed my mind. I didn't really know about these camry hybrids but is an interesting one to consider.

Back