Hybrid Camry: Interim report.

Having said this, however, I always have a Gregorys in the car... after all the GPS with the bloody calm male voice has known to be wrong on more than the odd occasion :D

We have a Kluger which has a built in GPS with a female voice which sounds exactly like Liz Hurley....hard to take ;)

and yes; she (it) has been wrong on occasion.

I know an engineer at Toyota. He was telling me the Hybrid Camry is a very different car to the petrol version. His words were "far superior setup" whatever that means.

We hired one and drove it from Brisbane to Hervey Bay and back a couple of years ago and it was fine for cruising down the highway. However putting the foot down did not really give much response except more noise.

6 months ago I bought a 3ltr diesel and love it. I get 9.2ltr per 100km city driving and about 6ltr per 100km country. Plus the added benefit of performance.

I am so happy that everyone is purchasing hybrids and diesels......

I can now sleep comfortably knowing that your vehicles are offsetting the lack of fuel economy I get from my 6.2 litre Clubsport, which returns about 150 litres/100km (I only have a 10 minute drive to work but depending upon how I drive can mean a fill up on the way home.......:))

It will happen. But I am surprised that hybrid technology hasn't been adopted in the heavy transport industry.

I envision a Mack with the motor/generators outboard the diffs so they can start heavy loads moving with lighter transmissions and possibly even doing away with the double reduction boxes. But there are smarter guys than I out there. :D

It was Sunfish, it's called the train.

Diesel engine runs a alternator which turns DC motors on the wheels.

No batteries involved but which would be a similar problem with trucks in the most of there running is higher speeds and long distances where the batteries don't make alot of difference.

It was Sunfish, it's called the train.

Diesel engine runs a alternator which turns DC motors on the wheels.

No batteries involved but which would be a similar problem with trucks in the most of there running is higher speeds and long distances where the batteries don't make alot of difference.

...and mining trucks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebherr_T_282B

although interestingly, Caterpillar decided to stay with a 7 speed auto diesel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caterpillar_797

The Y-man

Seeing as the other main competitor is the Bucyrus electric drive haul truck and Caterpillar just bought out Bucyrus maybe not such a bad move.

So what happened? Does it run at all? Stuff every thing?

See ya's.
Normally it would have been disastrous - probably a new engine, but in her case (she is one of our customers) she filled up at the servo, drove a short distance home and after realising her mistake she called me at the workshop.

I told her to not drive it and get if flat-bedded straight to the nearest VW dealership.

They drained the tank and checked it over - no damage; very lucky.

I know an engineer at Toyota. He was telling me the Hybrid Camry is a very different car to the petrol version. His words were "far superior setup" whatever that means.
When we lived in the US, we flew down to Phoenix from Oakland, then had to drive from there to the Grand Canyon - about 4.5 hours.

I was very impressed with it as far as mileage and so on; very nice car. Fuel consumption was extremely good; can't remember the figure exactly - never one to be bothered with all that stuff.

Hell; I don't even shop around for cheap fuel.

The Camry just didn't have the w@nger factor about it like a Mustang or similar :D

Too much of a "Nan and Pop mobile" for me (why do they always buy white or gold Camrys or Corollas or Honda Civics?), but year in and year out the Camry is near the top of every best value for money car on the market.

So you would think it's fine doing 110 than say 100 in a 100 zone???

You have to be more alert doing the speed limit to ensure you are not exceeding the limit and less alert speeding as you just don't bother what speed you are doing??

I never understand the mentality of people that speed.

I'd rather get to where I'm going a few minutes later than getting there in a body bag.

I generally stopped speeding years ago. a financial and mostly 'I want to keep my licence' decision.

I think on the odd occasion when I decide to exceed the speed limit I'm more alert than when I turn on the cruise control and nod off.

Sunfish

Was this last year's model, or the current year's? The reviews state that the current year one is better and cheaper.

How do you find the boot space with the battery pack? Is the boot usable for any decent size pieces of luggage?

Bayview- what's your workshop experience with the hybrids? Are they more complex to work with? More reliable?

Sunfish

Was this last year's model, or the current year's? The reviews state that the current year one is better and cheaper.

How do you find the boot space with the battery pack? Is the boot usable for any decent size pieces of luggage?

Bayview- what's your workshop experience with the hybrids? Are they more complex to work with? More reliable?
It is last year's model. The boot space is no biggie for us. Early this morn we were dropping my son and his lady, and my daughter to the airport: Even the "large" V6 Honda couldn't carry a driver, the three tourists and their luggage so we still had to take two vehicles.

Motoring writers ALWAYS say the new model is better, otherwise they wouldn't be lent one next time.

I would suggest that for anything other than Prius taxis, they are too new to be seen in general workshops. I don't know Bayview but I find unaffiliated mechanics hate anything new and complicated. I always listen but often discard their views. One thing they do seem to agree on is that Hyundai are presenting good cars.

BTW The trip computer said we used 6.2 l/100ks. As I have already said, I use as much throttle as needed to overtake the Winnebagos and the timid souls lined up behind, to maintain a good average speed.

One thing they do seem to agree on is that Hyundai are presenting good cars.

Ahhh yes, Hyundais...

My first car was a Hyundai Excel - great economical car for a uni student. I never got lucky in it though...

Reminds me of my favourite car related quote. Was it Jeremy Clarkson who said it?

Driving a Hyundai is like putting a big sticker in your back window saying "please, sleep with my wife"

:p

I don't know Bayview but I find unaffiliated mechanics hate anything new and complicated.
I think the problem is a lot of them don't want to keep upgrading their knowledge; too much like hard work/lazy etc - prefer the older and easier ones they already know to work on.

One of my blokes is 55 going on 80. He is a very good mechanic's mechanic, but is so technology resistant it is staggering...won't go near the computer to check customer's histories, still uses a 10 year old (or older?) basic Nokia mobile (and never turns it on), drives to Rosebud on Fri in his lunchbreak to do his banking etc. Can't possibly ever earn the big bucks with that outlook.

The other thing is the sheer volume of variety; you can't know everything about every car - especially the computer and electronic stuff. The gadgetry is increasing, and the on-board computers control a lot of the systems.

We recently bought a scanner that covers almost every car on the road; it is a must now (my 55year old is reluctant to go near it:rolleyes:) because we don't want to be left behind.

I always listen but often discard their views. One thing they do seem to agree on is that Hyundai are presenting good cars.
Hyundais are a very under-rated brand. I've owned 2 cheapies - an Excel and after that an Accent. Both did around 200k's and had pretty much no issue, and I don't look after cars very well. That was before my current life, and we work on loads of them; good cars for the price, and generally good cars.

Last edited:
So as I am aware there are no hybrid diesel passenger cars. Dunno why.

That's what I thought but...

This volvo goes into production next year.

I like the idea of it being an all electric car and a hybrid.

In Hybrid mode, combined cycle fuel consumption is an incredible 1.9 litres/100km and CO2 emissions average 49g/km. Hybrid mode is the V60’s default setting, and operated in this mode it has a total range of 1200km.

Peugeot also make an hybrid diesel, but not available in oz.

Tata Motors Air Car—Is it Really Coming?

There been quite a bit of buzz for several years now about the Tata Motors MiniCAT Air Car, a car that could purportedly run entirely on compressed air. Tata made an agreement back in 2008 with Zero Pollution Motors to market the car in the US by the end of 2009. The US version of the car would run exclusively on compressed air at low speeds. Above 35 mph, a small gasoline engine would kick in to provide the car with enough additional power to stand a chance of holding its own on US highways.

minicat.jpg

In a Triple Pundit article last fall, Steve Puma reported that from a carbon emissions perspective, Zero Pollution’s AirPod, “an extremely strange-looking precursor to the Mini Cat” outperformed the Tesla Roadster (by 27%), the 2010 Toyota Prius (by 39%), the 2009 Honda Civic non-hybrid (by 63%) and the VW Jetta TDI Diesel (by 62%).

Now a report from the Australian web-based The Motor Report claims that the MiniCat will be on sale in India by August of 2012.

May not pass the strict standards here though?

Back