Hybrid Camry: Interim report.

Have had Miele and gone back to LG.

I have no confidence that Miele is a superior product. In particular I think their honeycomb system is just marketing claptrap.

I would absolutely LOVE to own the VW 1.3 L turbo/supercharged diesel, but only if someone else was picking up the bill.

A two year old version wouldn't be affordable?

The major depreciation hit has already occurred (for someone else) and the car is still pretty new.

HE, I have been 'round the block a few times and STILL distrust European cars when it comes to reliability/affordability.

As a workshop owner, what we see A LOT with Euro cars is they are often owned by folk who have absolutely no clue at all about cars - other than to drive them.

It is very common for us to see Euro cars coming in that are:

* Way overdue for services.
* Tyres almost to the steel belts
* Tyres way under-inflated (and when we mention this to the owner, their response is often "I don't know how to work those air thingies at the servo" :eek: - add most female car owners to that one :rolleyes:)
* Spare tyre nearly flat (never been checked)
* No coolant in radiator
*No oil in engine ("Can you have a look at my car - what's that light on the dashboard?").

and so on.

As a generalisation; my assumption is that a big number of these owners leave it all to their service people, and assume they ever have to do any preventative maintenance themselves, and/or assume that because it is a top of the line Euro masterpiece that things won't go wrong with it.

We had a lady who put normal unleaded into a VW turbo deisel not long ago (one of our customers).

I don't remember if it is the new Audis or the new VW but they don't have a dipstick... If youi want one you have to go to the aftermarket.

I asked the salesman about it and he said that they just weren't necessary. Seriously - wtf?

I ran servos back in the days when you had to give service. I shudder to think how many cars would have come to grief had we not been opening the bonnet regularly.

The plug-in electric cars are nowhere near ready for general use, especially in the tropics or the tundra, while the hybrid looks to be mature technology now.

Thanks for the update, mate.

Have you driven the equivalent non-hybrid? Much diffence?
I just came out of a V6 Honda and for get up and go, there is no comparison. The 2.4 l hybrid engine is a detuned version of the standard model, designed for torque and low consumption. It relies on the electric system to make up the difference. Not to my taste but would suit others perfectly.

It is odd to drive. It doesn't have a starter motor as such. The engine shuts down while waiting at the lights and the hybrid motor restarts the engine as you move off, nearly seamlessly. It's odd to be backing out of a park without the petrol motor having started. You could give any unsuspecting pedestrians a start. :)

I ran servos back in the days when you had to give service. I shudder to think how many cars would have come to grief had we not been opening the bonnet regularly.

them was the days when I would roll in with my "car" and ask

pls fill the oil and top up the fuel :)

ta
rolf

them was the days when I would roll in with my "car" and ask

pls fill the oil and top up the fuel :)

ta
rolf

I was only thinking last night that you could make a business case for having a driveway attendant, through put could be boosted dramatically. my 5 minute fill last night took about half an hour whilst people fluffed around scratching themselves and browsing the milk cabinet, seemingly oblivious to the stream of cars waiting behind their parked heap of junk

It is odd to drive. It doesn't have a starter motor as such. The engine shuts down while waiting at the lights and the hybrid motor restarts the engine as you move off, nearly seamlessly. It's odd to be backing out of a park without the petrol motor having started. You could give any unsuspecting pedestrians a start. :)

Haha Sunfish- I can relate. I've had my Hybrid Camry for just on 2 yrs now and I LOVE it! Easy to drive, very economical on the fuel (OK I drive like a girl but I rarely go above 6.5) and quiet as.... I've had to toot the horn in some carparks as peds truly don't hear me creeping up on them :D
I also upgraded to leather seats and the GPS (need that one for work!) and haven't looked back. Only downside I've had is the battery carked it after 9mths but Toyota replaced in full no questions asked. Great car.

What about the days when you didn't have internet forums? I look forward to reading your letters.

That's possibly the worst analogy I've ever heard.

Anyway; Jacque's comment is like saying I need a mobile phone/Iphone/car/bluetooth earpiece...

you get the idea.

How come you're defending her?...in love with the photo??

I am. :D

OK Ok Bayview you win..... I "wanted" it for work :D
Much the same way I also don't need but find the following appliances, tools and lifestyle gadgets highly useful in my life in making it easier and thus more enjoyable:
washing machine, mobile phone, dishwasher, hair straightener, potato peeler, electric toothbrush, TV, air conditioning etc etc

I'm sure you get the idea :rolleyes::D

Need?

:rolleyes:

What about the days (not that long ago) when all you had was a Melways?

And Melways (along with street directories or Refidexs as they're commonly called in good ole Qld) are declining in sales as more drivers rely on GPS devices
http://smh.drive.com.au/roads-and-t...rectory-comes-to-dead-end-20110818-1j077.html

Having said this, however, I always have a Gregorys in the car... after all the GPS with the bloody calm male voice has known to be wrong on more than the odd occasion :D

Hahaha classic. My wife lurks here so I will simply say I am sure she is a very nice lady.

You sure that's not just your husband talking?

Boom, if my husband was a navigator whilst I was driving we'd be the divorce courts by now.... trust me :D

Boom, if my husband was a navigator whilst I was driving we'd be the divorce courts by now.... trust me :D
I spent three weeks lost in Spain with Mrs Fish as navigator. She is one of those who need to turn the map upside down and still gets left and right mixed.

Off to Cairns tomorrow so I found the Tom Tom. I may not NEED it, but it saves petrol. Must admit the first time I used it it sent me down this road so stony I busted one tyre and had to turn around and crawl back to the bitumen. I thought I'd told it to stick to sealed roads.

But you sound like the perfect hybrid owner Jaques. Happy to know it works for you.

Back