I can hardly believe my eyes.

It looked like to be a new one.. A bit further along the Colac Hwy than the last. If you know the area well, when driving past the construction Sunday I believe it was about midway between the existing Waurn Ponds shopping centre and the Bunnings et al site.

It was my first time seeing it and I was driving so cannot tell exactly where it was - but it's not a long stretch of road in any sense.

I too stand up for Geelong :)

I used to commute to Melbourne CBD everyday. What was I thinking ? I might not get as much pay, but it takes me 8 minutes to get home :)

Reading on another topic about housing affordability...I don't feel it, as a young person in Geelong. I can live 5km out, and still not be tied down to a huge mortgage.

AND working in the employment business, I honestly do not see an unemployment problem - in fact, I have heaps of jobs I need to fill.

GEELONG IS THE BEST

I think the new shopping centre is a small centre at the corner of Rossack Dve and the highway. Haven't seen it yet, but I heard that's where they're putting it. I think its a minor thing, just some showrooms, but can't be sure.

Check out the Armstrong Creek development plans on the council's website.

Very nice! I actually went into the council Building office and looked too - they have a very large wall display.

A train station on the Melbourne line past Marshall, within easy walking distance from my new place :D

Well done on the new property Anrke. We've got one in Rossack Dve.

Check out the Armstrong Creek development plans on the council's website. Looks promising. If you need help with an agent to manage it, let me know. Mine is really good.

Is this in Grovedale or Waurn Ponds?????

Rossack Dve is the divider between Waurn Ponds and Grovedale. We're technically in Grovedale, but that new area extends back into Grovedale quite a way.

I'm not sure I'd invest in Geelong again for a few years. I think there are better growth places to go. But if you like Geelong, then I would suggest checking this area out.

well this thread is a downer for me

Corio, Norlane, were the areas I was seriously looking at for my first PPOR (later to move out and back to sydney, keeping that one as an IP or sell if it miraculously doubled).

Ok so many people dont like these areas, but you havent really said WHY - besides the crime.
I live in a high crime area now (south west sydney for anyone familiar) and have NEVER had a problem here, despite its bad reputation and no doubt many ppl who say "oh, i'd never live there, trash town etc etc.

Would it be a massive mistake to buy in Corio? It's just so cheap there and the houses look good. Some are quite big with well secured fencing (which i'd put in anyway if it didnt exist).

well this thread is a downer for me

Corio, Norlane, were the areas I was seriously looking at for my first PPOR (later to move out and back to sydney, keeping that one as an IP or sell if it miraculously doubled).

Ok so many people dont like these areas, but you havent really said WHY - besides the crime.
I live in a high crime area now (south west sydney for anyone familiar) and have NEVER had a problem here, despite its bad reputation and no doubt many ppl who say "oh, i'd never live there, trash town etc etc.

Would it be a massive mistake to buy in Corio? It's just so cheap there and the houses look good. Some are quite big with well secured fencing (which i'd put in anyway if it didnt exist).

I personally think buying in Corio or Norlane right now is a great idea, prices are extremely low for entry level buyers [just wait for the others, I can hear them now "why would you buy just because its cheap?"] because some people cant afford half a mil when theyre starting out, thats why so dont ask!

Most of the houses have big land content too which is very important to me.
if its the land that appreciates and building that depreciates, why the hell am I buying units? because its all I can afford thats why!:D [Im talking NT prices here]

If you ask me [in which case you did] people ALWAYS have reasons not to buy in all areas, I havent seen a single thread here where the vast majority have agreed on 1 certain location, there are always plenty of arguments about where to buy.

This makes it hard to sleep at night sometimes for me, Ive had professional property advisors tell me that Darwin isnt a place to invest right now, Ive just done it, but then again, I have to remind myself that history says.. property will double in 7-10 years anyway, you know the drill,
You have to make up your own mind, for me, I would feel quite good about picking a Geelong house up for that sort of money, in 10 years, there will be a big population increase [says stats] and people just like you and me wont be able to enter the market, allthough we will be able to afford that big place with three bedrooms in second choice suburbs, theres some confidence for you.

unless you can afford some sort of bluechip investment property, most areas will fare the same [dare I say it!]

Worst case scenario, its better to buy something than nothing.

I just have a good feeling about it. I doubt the area is that bad!
I live near Cabramatta, so called drug capital of Australia and many many people have happy peaceful lives here. Stay out of the way of the baddies and they'll leave you alone, dont roam the streets at night etc etc.. it can work.

I can just see that area booming at some point. Its closer to Melb than most other Geelong suburbs and considering its a place lived in by low income earners (presumably), I imagine finding tenants wouldn't be overly difficult.

My list just keeps growing!

Corio/Norlane
Cranbourne
Bendigo
Gippsland (Morwell etc)
Broken Hill - this is a new one but just spotted their growth figures in a magazine and median price is only 86k! 22.9% 12 month growth and 8.5% rental yield.

Hi tiger,

I have not investigated buying in Norlane or Corio, but as someone who lives in the area - Corio is a large suburb - and you have different pockets within it.

Some pockets are quite dangerous. Norlane is the same - some parts are better than others, but once again you do have your more dodgy areas. I can't say it's full of commission houses, but there are a number.

I never understood the poor design of commission house suburbs until my work started a community renewal project in another suburb across town called Whittington. The biggest problem is they have a long avenue/drive with courts on every corner. The courts then have wars with other courts. It's awful.

The hardest part I believe would be attracting good tenants to the area. Unfortunately there is a stigma attached to it.

I have not been looking at IP investing in Geelong at all of late, so make sure you do your due diligence. I'm not trying to be a 'nay-sayer'....it's the perception/stigma of the suburb.

Good luck in your decision, and please let us know how you go.

If i can find out where the commission housing is i can work around that.
I wouldnt buy near housing commission in sydney, those areas ARE bad (anyone been to Airds?) so thats where I draw the line.

I guess its just knowing where the good pockets are, thats the challenge.

I just have a good feeling about it. I doubt the area is that bad!
I live near Cabramatta, so called drug capital of Australia and many many people have happy peaceful lives here. Stay out of the way of the baddies and they'll leave you alone, dont roam the streets at night etc etc.. it can work.

I can just see that area booming at some point. Its closer to Melb than most other Geelong suburbs and considering its a place lived in by low income earners (presumably), I imagine finding tenants wouldn't be overly difficult.

My list just keeps growing!

Corio/Norlane
Cranbourne
Bendigo
Gippsland (Morwell etc)
Broken Hill - this is a new one but just spotted their growth figures in a magazine and median price is only 86k! 22.9% 12 month growth and 8.5% rental yield.

I used to roam as a kid around Norlane and Corio occasionally and I think that the bad word on the street about those particular suburbs is mainly attributed to the days of old, sure, its probarbly still not the best area to live but it was probarbly alot worse back then compared to what its like now.

Were all over 25 lets assume and its probarbly been a long time since weve even been to those suburbs, I know its been a good 10 years for me, there were some good pockets around those burbs too from memory, I remember Melbourne Rd being the worst.

Back