I can smell the fear

I agree with Bayview that optimism will ultimately lead you to greater wealth than
negativity will. It is also more likely to lead you to go bust however....everyone knows that. That is the definition of an entrepreneur......to become wealthy through taking risks.

If you are D&G then best case scenario is that your financial position remains the same or slightly better if you hold property or save money.

If you are optimistic then best case scenario is that you have great success.

In those cases they have pretty much translated their optimism with action and over extended themselves.
There is the key-phrase right there.
I like to blend the optimism with caution as I take action. Letting the emotion and the market sentiment take control is where the danger is and the in-experienced get caught out. It's sad.

But instead of coming on here and saying "it's all D&G - don't buy anything for god's sake", we should be saying "look out ahead - there are rocks, so steer to safer waters as you go, and here is how you can do it".

To simply state that it is too dangerous to buy doesn't cut it for me. I've never listened to people who say "you can't/shouldn't do it" in any aspect of life. Instead, I take it on board - thanks for the warning - try to be aware of the danger or downsides and then proceed.

Like in golf; look for the bunkers and water hazards, and then aim for the safe areas as you proceed to the flag.

In your case i don't think you have been active in the property market for quite a while. Just as i havn't.
Our last purchase was our next PPoR block of land which settled in Aug 2007. It was a deal too good to refuse from our neighbor, and we did have to extend ourselves a bit, but it was a very calculated risk. This was all paid for using equity - borrowed funds - with no rent return, so our servicability was shot, and so was a good chunk of our cashflow. Still had a good deal of equity left, but couldn't use it. That's where the businesses mindset came in. So we haven't been in a position to buy in those two years, just decreasing debt and consolidating, and when we got into a better position, we bought a business instead last year - more cashflow.

If you were really optimistic, wouldn't you be buying up?
If we were looking at buying property, I would be currently buying, yes. I would love to jump up to the next price-point of investment properties that have taken a hit - around the $700-$900k or so mark, with the future development/add value factors, but the rent returns are pitiful at this level, and we simply don't have the servicability power to hold it until the future cap gains and add on gains are realised.

Now, having said that, as you know; my first criteria is both rent yield and tax deductions/deprectiation, then cap gain after this.

So, whether or not the cap gain happens sooner or later, the cashflow would support the purchase and I wouldn't have to be concerned about any possible further drop in values or slow period for growth. The D&G becomes irrelevent in this case.

Of course, I would also be looking for an area that exhibited all the signs of cap growth in the near future - new and improving infrastructure such as better roads, new schools, parks, hospitals, Bunnings (there's a thread about that now somewhere), all the franchise take-away food shops, Coles etc. They don't build all this stuff where people don't look like moving to.

But as you know, we are currently buying a business, and until that is put to bed and we can re-assess the cashflow and servicability situation, our property escapades are on the back burner. It's frustrating, but so is having not enough cashflow to enjoy the fruits of the labour. Tired of that.

If all goes well, we will look to do something mid next year after the new PPoR is finished being built - a bit much on the plate right now unfortunately. I'm sure there will be a few deals floating around then.

Last edited:
and evan wasn't talking about you. He was talking of those who do not balance their optimism with caution - this is who he was equating with D&G'ers.. and he also believed that such posts exist on this forum.
obviously living in fear leaves you less chance of achieivement than living optimistically, but to be totally optimistic without being realistic menas you may quickly get run over by a bus - not much better off than a negative d&ger there...

Last edited:
I agree with Bayview that optimism will ultimately lead you to greater wealth than
negativity will...

If you are D&G then best case scenario is that your financial position remains the same or slightly better if you hold property or save money.

If you are optimistic then best case scenario is that you have great success.

optimism = good
pesssimism = bad
realism = ?

There is a time for everything under the sun...
Our own demons are often to hardest to recognise.

If you cannot shift from pessimism and optimism, then to be right you need to stay the course, a stopped clock is right once a day.

If you cannot shift from pessimism and optimism, then to be right you need to stay the course, a stopped clock is right once a day.

Twice for very basic clocks :)

Many seem to brand the D & G ers with a very broad range of ideas about what they are like. This view is not a lifestyle that dictates a persons entire life, but simply a view on how they see things panning out in the economy in the coming years.
I must admit things have held up a bit more than I expected, but far from alone in that view. Also, because of the bonus payments and housing boosts, I would not be suprised if positive news continues in the coming months. I don't expect it to continue, let alone go into another boom. Really interested to see how various economic stats pan out throughout the rest of the year.

Interesting discussion though.

Realism is definitely the way. I believe that optimistic realism is a better path. Things like the future values of properties and the future economic conditions etc. are often very strongly debated as nobody really knows. It's not a point that can be proven by anybody as it hasn't happened. I do find it very interesting to talk about though and Mr Time can award the points in our debating class.

Reactions: BV
Things like the future values of properties and the future economic conditions etc. are often very strongly debated as nobody really knows. It's not a point that can be proven by anybody as it hasn't happened.

True, but looking back at past history and patterns gives us a fairly educated guess at what might occur.

If we look at short term windows, it is more of a guess, but the more education and experience one has makes it less of a guess. For example; not one of all the properties I have ever bought is worth less than when I bought it. This tells us something about long term trends.

Long term, we all know what property tends to do.

This is why Banks lend strongly against it as security, and why people invest in it.

People invest strongly in shares too - but most of these are basically lazy investors and gamblers. Banks don't lend as strongly against shares.

The thing with most of the D&G I read here is;
1. Tends to be fanatical and alarmist
2. Tends to be short term view
3. Tends to be from people with (seemingly) little experience and/or time in the market cycles to see the longer term trends and historical activity.
4. Tend not to offer strategies to hedge against the predictions they make.
5. Tend not to take into consideration that people are not mortgage stressed and don't ever need to sell.

So, D&G all you like; but qualify the statements, based on all of the above.

5. Tend not to take into consideration that people are not mortgage stressed and don't ever need to sell.

That's one of the big assumptions they make. All property investors are leveraged to the hilt, have CF- properties, are relying on capital growth to refinance later to cover shortfall, repeat that cycyle ad nausea, any negative growth or stagnant period will kill them (oh and somewhere in there the banks will call in the loans).

Guys the extreme D&G'ers have gone back to their cave. They achieved their purpose and reeked havok on the gullable during a time of panic. Now that the level of fear is declining, their comments are accessed with cooler heads.

We live in a particular point in time, so as humans, we have great difficulty in accessing true risk, and thats why most humans run with the herd. During times of panic, future fear factors have a higher perceived probability of occuring and a higher perceived risk.

I laughed so hard when i read some posts that we were 'lucky' this time around because the RBA cut interest rates.

Well dar, wasnt this one of the main reasons apart from a fundamental undersurply of housing, that the moderates gave as a structural reason why Australia's housing market wouldnt fall to the same extent as the US in this cycle.
The extreme D&G'ers putting high rates of probability on perceived risk rather than actual risk.

I love it when people disgruntedly say 'lucky'. Those who bought property in australia during the early to mid 90's have also been labelled as 'lucky', those who bought property just before the introduction of the GST were subsequently labelled 'lucky' (remember all the whohar about a low inflation environment and the GST effect on residential rent distortions and its perceived risk on long term growth prospects). Now those that didnt give in to the D&G'ers and held on to their property holdings are again 'lucky'.

Conclusion: Those that dont listen to D&G'ers tend to be the 'lucky' people, so the answer to the question: DO YOU WANT TO BE ONE OF THE LUCKY.

Evand, in regards to one of your other posts, concerning a low growth pricing environment for property.

What do you do if you already hold property.
Assuming you are correct and property doesnt grow in the medium term, if you dispose of your property holdings, what about the tax effect and transaction costs.
Some of us are sitting on very nice capital gains. So if we dispose of our holdings, we have to pay CGT, agents fees, legal fees. On top of this when we re-enter the market we will have to pay stamp duty.

So for many of us the 'cost' of disposing of our holdings is around 20% of the value of the portfolio. So unless property falls by more than 20% we are worse off by selling.
Now given humanbeings tendancy to overestimate perceived risk (and overestimate perceived return during buoyant times) what do you do???

For many of us, the portfolio is either neutral or positively geared as well (even if interest rates go up a couple of % points), so there is no cost to us, there is no drain on our cash flow.

Good post Chilliaa. What most D&G also don't realise is that many people's portfolio's are costing very little or nothing at all. This means that they are very capable and it is very easy for them to hold onto their properties and enjoy them going up in value when they do. Even if they don't increase or go down....they are still quite comfortable to hold onto them as they are sure that they will go up at some stage. The risk of selling these properties would be higher than keeping them as you have the opportunity cost if they go up in value.

Evand, in regards to one of your other posts, concerning a low growth pricing environment for property.

What do you do if you already hold property.
Assuming you are correct and property doesnt grow in the medium term, if you dispose of your property holdings, what about the tax effect and transaction costs.
Some of us are sitting on very nice capital gains. So if we dispose of our holdings, we have to pay CGT, agents fees, legal fees. On top of this when we re-enter the market we will have to pay stamp duty.

So for many of us the 'cost' of disposing of our holdings is around 20% of the value of the portfolio. So unless property falls by more than 20% we are worse off by selling.
Now given humanbeings tendancy to overestimate perceived risk (and overestimate perceived return during buoyant times) what do you do???

For many of us, the portfolio is either neutral or positively geared as well (even if interest rates go up a couple of % points), so there is no cost to us, there is no drain on our cash flow.

On top of all that, it's too much bloody hard work to sell - too much fuss and grief to be bothered. The less I do of it the better I'll like it. D

I think I'd rather keep sitting on the protfolio, and access the equity when it becomes available and leverage into more of same (buying is far more fun), or another vehicle that will do the same.

A lot of people talk as though the economy was hit hard and its over now. . . Why should D&Gers keep backing up their reasons for their belief? Many will not listen because they don't really agree. D&Gers aren't in their caves because they were wrong about a storm they thought was coming and have crawled away, but because they looked outside, saw the storm that is still coming and are preparing themselves for what they believe is going to hit the economy in a big way.

I find it interesting that many seem to equate optimistic with "thinks there will be economic strength going forward", and D&G/pessimistic with "anticipates tough economic times".

I don't think optimism and pessimism have anything to do with what you forecast will happen in the external environment; I consider optimism and pessimism to relate to how you feel about yourself, ie whether you believe that you can take advantage of whatever the external environment throws at you.

Thus I consider myself "an optimistic D&Ger". I anticipate tough economic times ahead, but am optimistic that I can identify and exploit the opportunities presented. :)

Well said Tracey. This is also how I feel. I would be much more worried if we didn't have a nice lot of equity cushioning us.

I love it when people disgruntedly say 'lucky'. Those who bought property in australia during the early to mid 90's have also been labelled as 'lucky', those who bought property just before the introduction of the GST were subsequently labelled 'lucky' (remember all the whohar about a low inflation environment and the GST effect on residential rent distortions and its perceived risk on long term growth prospects). Now those that didnt give in to the D&G'ers and held on to their property holdings are again 'lucky'.

Conclusion: Those that dont listen to D&G'ers tend to be the 'lucky' people, so the answer to the question: DO YOU WANT TO BE ONE OF THE LUCKY.

What about those who were against the D&G and bought properties at the most panic period of last September? My friend around me now is saying that I was so lucky to buy a good property last year.

Actually, I am just feeling a little lose for not getting more those extremely good deals last year, mostly because the scared predictions generated by the people like NRs. I never see those properties coming up to the market like that before: land size is more than 1200 spare meters, close to train station, but the price was just about 10 to 20% more than the average price in the surburb.

By the way, all my properties across Sydney which haven't increased rents for 6 months, will have the rental increase about 5%.

A lot of people talk as though the economy was hit hard and its over now. . . Why should D&Gers keep backing up their reasons for their belief? Many will not listen because they don't really agree. D&Gers aren't in their caves because they were wrong about a storm they thought was coming and have crawled away, but because they looked outside, saw the storm that is still coming and are preparing themselves for what they believe is going to hit the economy in a big way.

Some of us have done that too.

I've done it through continually reducing debt - but I do this as a given; regardless of the market, and we have taken steps to increase the cashflow as a further hedge.

The didference is the D&Gers go into a cave and do nothing. This may be the best course of action for those without the ability to wether the storm.

There are plenty of D&Gers here who have that ability, and will simply put on their raincoats and go out and keep working.

Ozperp:
I don't think optimism and pessimism have anything to do with what you forecast will happen in the external environment; I consider optimism and pessimism to relate to how you feel about yourself, ie whether you believe that you can take advantage of whatever the external environment throws at you.

Bingo!

....and for many people, investors, tap dancers, business owners, ferret breeders the external forces vary due to individual perception(s), tolerance(s), resilience, structuring on and on and on.....and on......

One person's external force is another person's motivation....driving force.

What it is that we harbor and cultivate within, best practices, self education, awareness of your own personal ying and yangs. That is a huge important part of the key to wealth building and sailing through recessions or downtowns or funny Fridays.

It can be overlooked and understated Oz, (what it is within). You raise important, perhaps the most important point of all.:)

I find it interesting that many seem to equate optimistic with "thinks there will be economic strength going forward", and D&G/pessimistic with "anticipates tough economic times".

Your point is correct with regards to the correct mindframe for investing.
But it is incorrect in regards to the intrinsic valuation of the underlying asset.
Optimisim and pessimism have a great deal to do with forecasting, and hence the perceived value of the asset. Hence an whilst an intrinsic value should be set in stone (but what is its value????), the perceived value fluctuates over time.

But it is incorrect in regards to the intrinsic valuation of the underlying asset.
Optimisim and pessimism have a great deal to do with forecasting, and hence the perceived value of the asset. Hence an whilst an intrinsic value should be set in stone (but what is its value????), the perceived value fluctuates over time.

Agree, but its kind of the same thing.

At any point in time making an assessment on intrinsic value will require various assumptions to be made. These will always be a "best guess".

For example, future earnings in Jan 2007 over 10 years looked very different to the 8 year forcast (plus 2 historic) in Jan 2009!!

Most people's assessment of intrinsic value in Jan 2007 would, in hindsight, be plain wrong!! Suspect in time the Jan 2009 will be too low as well, but thats another guess :)

Back