I finally bought an IP.

Ready for a long post?

I always appreciate it when other forumites lay out all the details of an IP purchase so at the risk of this sounding like a head trip I thought I’d give it a go.

My brief IP history…

I (and my wife) had two IP’s for the best part of 10 years from 1992 to 2002 and sold them both in early 2002 just before the boom struck down here in Tassie, mostly out of frustration of not seeing an ounce of growth in the whole time. I actually sold one for less than I paid for it. It took me a long time to get over selling them when the boom hit and there values more than doubled, and by now almost tripled. Right or wrong, I still occasionally beat myself up… like, every time I think of it!! (Insert crying icon here)

During 2003 myself, the three other residential salespeople and our spouses bought seven units off the one owner and resold them for a tidy profit. We also bought a house, did a reno and resold that too. All great learning experiences.

During this time I discovered Somersoft and like all of us here, it got me to thinking. I’ve been looing all over the place on the internet, both here and interstate but the more I read and the more I looked I started thinking it was the wrong time, even with some saying the right time to buy is when you can afford too. Everything I thought about just didn’t seem to feel right.

Anyyyyyyyyyyyyy wayyyyyyyyyyyy…. I know, I’m rambling…..

I was looking at land and thought about having three units built but had a problem with cashflow while they were going to be under construction.

During last December the was a thread where our very own Jacque posted some links to private for sale sites so I started looking there(20th December). I knew there were two houses here in Ulverstone that were for sale privately and couldn’t find them anywhere so I googled them … Ulverstone, private sale. A site that I don’t think Jacque had posted a link too came up. It only had one property in Ulverstone on it, a block of five two-bedroom units IN THE STREET I LIVE IN!!!!! :eek:

The amazing thing was/is, our property manager manages them and we’d actually inspected them about 8 months earlier to give the Sydney owners an appraisal.

Well, I got all excited and did some numbers using PIA. Next morning I told my wife about them and she was all for it (that in itself was a huge step). I rang the owner and asked a few questions. That night I rang him again and the next night I rang him and we negotiated a price. He just happened to use my solicitor here in town so we agreed that I’d give him all the details and get him to prepare a contract.

Bye Friday 23rd lunch time my wife and I had signed the contract and posted it to Sydney, 2 ½ days after seeing it on the net.

Asking price $399,000

Agreed price $360,000

Costs, about $15,000 including stamp duty

Rent, $510 pw, quite low, they should get about $120 each. My dilemma? Four of the tenants are pensioners and three have been there for about 8 years with the newest tenant having already been there three years. I’m not sure how I’m going to go putting there rents up.

Rates $5,950.

After signing up I went through the buyer’s remorse thing and thought, ‘Damn, what have I done, we’re sitting so comfortable!!’ Then I started second guessing and thinking I’d paid too much. (Michael Yardney’s book addressed those issues when I read a bit of last week. What I’ve read so far has been excellent, a lot of different thoughts and ideas.)

Then I read Presto’s thread on how he strata titled a block of 10 units and made a killing and realised, WOO HOOOOOOO…. I hope… they MAY be able to be strata titled which should increase their value considerably, NOT THAT I WANT TO SELL ANYTHING ANYMORE!!! :rolleyes:

They settled last Friday.

Finance was a bit of a drama but that’s another story…

Congrats on the purchase!

Perhaps small incremental rental increases for your tenants? Sounds like your units are at 100-105 per week. You say fair market value is 120.

Inform your tenants of a $5/wk rise followed by $5 every 6 months until fair market is reached.

Tenants only face small rises.

If you have pensioners find out if they recieve rental assistance. Your increases wont hurt as much if they do.

However - weigh up the extra $5-15 per week with the cost of losing a good tenant.

Anyway...

Well done and good luck.

TB

Congrats SOS. Well done. Somebody else with a flock of bats!

Two issues re strata titling.
1. You may have to upgrade the fire rating (I'd have to do that in my flock, and it won't be inexpensive).
2. With some councils, you may end up paying higher rates.

Congratulations on the purchase. As for the increase in rents, I'd just do what TheBacon suggests & give them a gradual increase. I have quite a few pensioners & they don't like it when rents go up, but at the end of the day they stay as the rents are market value. Look at it from their point of view. You could move, but you would have to pay that amount of rent anyway & if you stay you save all the costs involved in moving.:D

Well done Sultan,

You may want to follow Geoffw's strategy of progressive renovation when tenants move out.

As you have pensioners it's probably that over time they move on to higher care facilities.

And don't be scared of putting up rents - you, as the landlord, have as much right to a fair price for your rentals as your tenants do!

If any of your renters have issues you can always help them by putting them in touch with the appropriate support organisations who are there to assist in these situations. Many of these are charities - so you don't have to be

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Hi SOS
That is great news!! I'm so happy for you that it all worked out in the end and how amazing that they ended up being in the same street as you!
Make sure you post us some before and after pics if you renovate. Would love to see them!

SOS,

Awesome mate! And you beat me to it!! :( ;)

I'd agree that progressive maintenance as tennants move on is the way to go. I'd also consider leaving rents flat or only very slightly moving them up. Wait until the elderly tennants move out, then reno it and put rents up to fair market value.

Can't comment on the strata title bit except to say it would be great IF you can pull it off.

Well done mate, I feel all humble and slow now. Might have to just go and buy something/anything so I can post a similar thread.

Cheers,
Michael.

Well Done SOS

Sounds like it has great potential. And even better, you bounced back from your first IP experience:)

Thanks for posting that Sultan.
Long?
Wouldn't of cared if it was twice as long.
Great to read positive stuff like that.

Same street!
(early Sunday morning, and Sultans having a lie in)
Knock Knock
Who's there.
My taps dripping.:D:D :D

Well done Sultan!!! :)

That is great news and sounds like a good deal!

Let us know how the reno's and increasing rents to market rent goes

Best Wishes

Corsa

Congrats & well done SOS.....Great to see you have conquered your previous bad experiences. Remember mate its all about having the correct mindset.

Well done once again

In regards to rents I think there are a few good approaches- one as mentioned is a gradual increase - perhaps $5 to $10 per year. They will still be under market for years to come and have no motivation to leave which should keep your vacancy, letting and repair costs down. $10 per week rental increase (if managed by a PM) is quickly swallowed up in letting fees and loss of rent when vacant. My experience shows that new tenants also want things fixed that the old tenant lived appily with for years and never mentioned!.

Of course if one leaves you can ramp tose rents right up!

You might also want to let them know that you have recently purchased their apartment and ask whether they woudl like to see any changes and indicate that you would be open to suggestions as long as it was reflected in their rent. This way you may be able to keep them happy for a little outlay and improve both your rents and the overall value of the property. You will find that banks tend to value such properties on the capitalisation method which i guess you already know and therefore there is a direct relationship between rent increases and the bank valution of the property.

You may also want to consider moving the lease end dates to the peak rental period in your area so that when they do become vacant you are in the best possible position to minimise vacancy and get prime rents.

The good news is that you seem to have a stable set of tenants which will provide consistant cashflow and hopefully low vacancy rates and minimal maintenance bills.

Best of luck and Let us know how you go!

so thrilled for you sos - and soooo jealous. at the end of the day i too want a block of flats or herd of townhouses where i have control over the lot. okay, numerous blocks or herds!!

i agree a small increase each 6mths. the reason they are long term tenants is because it is under market and $10/yr increase overall should not be to painful.

congratulations and woohoo

congrats to you. Wow sorry to hear about your selling too soon but you can only live and learn.

Re rental, don't know if this helps but I recently spoke to a pensioner and she told me her landlord had heard that rent assistance was going up so next lease he's putting the rent up too. Don't know if that's a very kind thing to do, but it's not the actual pension that's increasing, but the rent assistance. My friend is not an old age pensioner but invalid and this is in SA so don't know if Rent assist goes up all around the country but it might be good to find out when it happens. Anyway If you put rent up and they are not currently getting rent assist. they may be able to start claiming.

Well done SOS.

A lot of people don't recover from your previous experience.

As somebody has already mentioned its all about mindset....

Remember its not just time in the market but also timing, hopefully you have broken your cycle to allow you to hold through your impatience :) and the next boom.

Cheers

Good move

People that know me say are you crazy buying property its overpriced by 30%, thats what the media tells them anyway. If right now is the peak of the boom ive purchased 3 IPs in 17 months. Just cant see median values crashing with land so scarse and construction costs rising each year. Property people say well located real estate doubles in 7 to 10 years, id still be happy if my portfolio doubled in 15 years. Put all my figures into PIA and it looks good, even though im fairly neg. geared.

Back