I HATE MONEY!!! All It Does Is Cause Strain & Stress!!!

i am sure you will find most here love their parents dearly - but we would not hand them the lollies if they were diabetic or give then money for the pokies. no matter how much they pleaded or stressed.

and we don't expect our parents to do the same for us - that is why we invest in our future. alexlee is telling you how it is. unfortunately i think you're to emotionally close to this and you need to bring in some professional help - most charities have free financial counsellors who can give the advice with no vested interest.

as for me - went thru a rough divorce and lost almost everything. i had enough scrapped together for a deposit on a small and delapidated miners cottage. sure mum could've given me some money - but it probably would've been spent buying new clothes - instead she flew over and took me to the hardware store. we bought a ladder and brushes and paint and rollers and grout and plaster and sandpaper and an orbital sander etc. we then spent several days plastering and painting ... she helped me to fish and i would do the same for her.

as much as you love your parents, their actions got them into this situation. if they don't see the results of their mistakes then they won't learn from then, and next time a bill comes, that they can't pay, they'll just hide under the mattress until it grows to big to handle. is this what you want of them?

and yes, it's sad your brother died 12 years ago - my father died around the same time in a plane crash. life goes on. 30 years of marriage, six months of mourning and mum has never let his death be an excuse, a reason for not achieving or let it stand in her way.

as to your mother being a good budgeter ... well ... $20/wk shaved off the expenses from the start and paid to the council would've cut the outstanding bill by $1000/yr. the inability to do this doesn't indicate good budgeting.

sorry that the truth is harsh - but hiding from the truth helps no one. and when you have to make some serious financial decisions - you need to step back and remove the emotion, for everyone's sake.

perhaps it is with age and wisdom, and bringing up my own children to be contributing members of society (as i was), that i can say this with conviction ...

p.s. alexlee is not an emotionless bugger - he just calls a spade a spade.

Hi WMM

Correct me if I'm wrong, the house that is at the centre of all of this is not the actual house that your parents live in, correct.

If so do they ever have any intentions on moving back there, if not then why keep it, have they tried putting it up for rent, you would be surprised that maybe doing so will help.

Even if the rent is a small amount, you might be surprised at who is willing to pay rent, if its the right amount.

My view on this is that of course you love your parents, its the same as being a parent and loving your children. You can be there for them, but obviously you need to really look at what is helping them. Whilst something may achieve momentary relief, over the long time it will not help. I know in some situations people do not face reality because they know they don't have to, they know that someone will bail them out, even though they have the means to do so.

A lot of the time we have to do things that we don't really want to do, but we have to. I'm a big believer in choices - and making excuses when their is an alternative solution that will solve the problem, it might not be all that fun, and might hurt a little, in the end it will be in everyones best interests.

It appears that you have made a choice to take control of your financial future, you parents are in their early 60's. By making this hard choice now, you will be able to better assist them as they grow older. one they will be debt free and 2 you will be more financially able to assist them.

By the way - just on the topic of this thread: I neither hate nor love money - I have almost no emotion towards it. It is almost a tool like a hammer or power drill. Handy to have, but if it breaks, I replace it....

Cheers,

The Y-man

Can your parents sell up and live with you. When i was younger i would have hated that idea but know if my parents needed somewhere to live i would jump at it.You say you love your parents but to me they are not returning that love like they should.They must clearly see that they are relying on you and still going backwards. The house is just a material thing yet they are letting it drag them down.Time to face reality and do what has to be done.Your still a family with or without a house.

Yes they aren't too concerned now; because they have struggled before & know how to handle difficult situations with other people if it arises. I was very concerned for them & I feared that they would lose their house (I don't think I said my Dad was scared he'd lose their house); thus became very worried; thus needed to just express my feelings as I felt like I was going to explode last night.

I apologise if I have mislead others but personally was very concerned about their situation; & I guess mine as well to a lesser degree.

With due respect to the posters here; I very appreciate the comments here; some of those are hard to take (yes Alex - you know I'm talking about you); but everyone has their opinion & whether I like it or not - they are entitled to voice it; so I have to respect that.

I thank everything thus far for what you have added.

I'd rather have a family member with whom I do not speak, but now stands on his own two feet, than a family member I did speak to but every time we talk it's about him needing money. If you think that's pathetic, that of course is your right. Me, I think I saved a person from his own weaknesses and forced him to face up to his demons.

If it was the same as donating to charity, you wouldn't be this worked up. Or do you feel so emotional every time you see a commercial on TV about people in need?

Good luck with everything, because I think you're going to need it.
Alex

I appreciate some of the comments here however I also feel you & Alex & maybe others have no emotional attachment to their parents - where is the "LOVE" here? I think those comments are heartless. My brother was killed in a motorcycle accident 12 years ago so it is just me & my folks. Because of that I feel much closer to them. How can I abandon my folks at a time when they need assistance; financial that it may - if you're just going to look at this situation without an emotional attachment related then IMO the relationship you have with your parents is purely business not emotional. And as others have made harsh comments; this comment may be harsh too.

Thank you for all of you who have contributed with words of encouragement & positive advice - I appreciate it!

Oh you wanted warm, fuzzy wuzzy suggestions on what to do. Well why didn't you say so!

In that case, simply sell all your assets and give them whatever amount of cash you have (after paying tax of course) to pay off all their bills and loans. In the future when they have gotten themselves into further financial trouble give them more money. Oh hang on - you won't have any either!

Some responses may seem harsh to you, but honestly if you can help your parents without sacrificing your own wealth creation why on earth wouldn't you? Tough love is sometimes the only answer. Your parents are still relatively young so by enabling them to deal with their financial problems themselves you would be helping them a lot more than if you just give them money- give a man a fish or teach him how to fish and all that.

I was very concerned for them & I feared that they would lose their house (I don't think I said my Dad was scared he'd lose their house); .

Usually councils force owners to sell their home when rates pass the 3-year point; which is about now, so my Dad is getting quite anxious about it all.

We are only responding to the facts you are giving us.

A property currently for sale in Greenvale has the following details:

New Mining operations are opening up in the area .

Currently tenanted

This would suggest to be that there is in fact a rental market and your parents coudl rent out thei home = half of problem solved. Might also make the property more sellable (sp?)

I guess this agent could give your parents more details.

I don't need luck because I have a plan!!!
W/M i went through something like you are about to a few years ago
with my father, while morality can be thought of as the way we behave
especially when our behavior affects the lives of other people, what i found
was throw the anger, pride,and doubt out the window and face the facts
it's never as bad as it seems,deep down you know what you have to do
imho,sell everything they own fix up the money mess,other wise this will
burn you out,men are not bullet proof as we all think,pride means nothing
if you can't get out of bed in the morning and face the day..
i hope it works out for you and your family,it will if you follow your heart.
willair..

Last edited:
onya watermelon

I think some of us need to give the guy a break. Sometimes its not about 'learning lessons' or being cruel to be kind. Sometimes is just about being kind and wanting to show the people you love that you are willing to meet them on their terms not yours. And if that means bailing a loved one out - pensioners mind you - then all the power to ya. Less judgement and more simple empathy can go a long way.

cheers
Aussie

I think everyones biting there nails waiting to find out what the plan is :).
I've never seen so many response's in such a short time wow.

I think some of us need to give the guy a break. Sometimes its not about 'learning lessons' or being cruel to be kind. Sometimes is just about being kind and wanting to show the people you love that you are willing to meet them on their terms not yours. And if that means bailing a loved one out - pensioners mind you - then all the power to ya. Less judgement and more simple empathy can go a long way.

cheers
Aussie

I guess some of us were thinking that a more creative and more long term solution would not be to provide money directly but instead:

Negotiate rates bill
Rent out property
Look at ways of building business with govt help

I am all for loving and supporting your family but it sounded like WMM was reaching the end of the road on his usual giving method of providing cool hard cash as he was running out of it!

I have a mother on a pension and a sister on part goverment support and came from a background of very little money so I do appreciate the situation.

I guess I have to bite the bullet and say that all I've heard from Fruitman is a lot of whinging..yes I realise that you're in a difficult situation, however, you state that your parents don't want to live here or there, they don't want to do this or that, the bank won't do such and such and so forth. There are so many options you haven't even contemplated because of (what I tend to get from your posts) limitations you are putting on your self...

Finally, watch this...:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y

Back