I have a good property manager

Nothing gets by our PM

Had to chuckle to myself today...

Hubby rang to say PM was at our new unit 2 doing a pre-inspection as the tenants are now moving in on Thursday instead of Saturday and had I arranged disconnection of electricity and locking of gas bottles which I had done.

Our PM has good people skills - asked hubby to do a quick run over of the floors as there was a bit of fluff that had blown in and hose out garage as hubby has been keeping his turf laying tools & wheel barrow in garage.

Hubby agreed to do a quick flick tomorrow (I will be at work). :p

PM charges one weeks rent + GST for leasing property. I reckon PM's earnt that fee as we had about 20 enquiries, 7 inspections & 5 applications to be assessed for 2 units.

Once we finish the next phase of our life (trip around Oz - no time limit) we will take over own PM.

Regards
Shern

Cant seem to build a relationship with my pm in Ipswich - whenver I call the office there is a new pm - makes it kinda hard.

Cheers
Stella

The RE (on the southside of Brisbane) we use has the same problem, new PMs nearly every 6 months. Don't know what's going on. Current one is very incompetent. What she has been doing is she cuts and pastes our emails and sent to the previous tenant (we have problem with) and then she cuts and pastes their email and sends it to us. She has no brain to make any assessment or judgment.

We decided to use this RE 7 years ago after reading positive message on this site. It went well till recently, the RE has had many PMs in a short period. Something is really wrong.

I'm looking for a new PM. Recommendation will be greatly appreciated (Mt Gravatt / Mansfield / Holland Park area)

I don't know how to rate our PM.

Rate is cheap at 5.5% (including GST).

When we first bought the property and we wanted gutters cleaned, we had to organise it.

The PM does organise payment for rates and water rates (from our rent).

However one time they stuffed up the payments and it was only by a miracle I found out before the due date (it affected nearly all the landlords). I have no idea why I checked with the council but I did, which was lucky.

I don't know if they do inspections on the property as I never receive a report, however at an inspection that we requested and I was at, tenant mentioned prior inspections while we were landlords (was news to me).

I am confused as to what office to ring about queries. We were at one office, told another office now dealth with property and at the moment have just recieved correspondance requesting reply to the old office, with a new property manager.

I have just recieved advice that we should increase rent. (Last time I rang up about increasng rent). I was extremly surprised that we received this letter as I thought I would have to ring up again and ask for opinion. However person who signed letter as PM, I have never heard of.

Also I have had some issues with late rent, which I had to notify PM about. Tenant said he thought he was on time with rent, which I have to believe as I have not seen any evidence that PM contacted him (or us) about late rent. Did get fixed up once I mentioned it.

I guess our PM is improving. Our PM is low price on rates. Our PM does look after the rates and collects the rent. The service could be better which I (but probably not my partner) might consider paying a higher rate for better service. The only reason we used this PM is because the agency sold us the house and were already the PM for the property.

I'm a bit nervous about changing PM's while we have the same tenant as I'm not a fan of change. Also while I can see improvements that our PM can do, I don't know if I would get a better service with another PM (however will probably have to pay more for.)

So am I happy with our PM. Not really, however I can bear the service we are getting for now as I don't know any different.

pickle

We pay a management fee 7.7% plus $2.75 for postage and petties (pettycash) each month. Our new tenants in another IP have moved in and not mowed their front lawn, they have already been issued a letter by PM stating to remedy or would they like to pay extra rent and have yard mowed and PM will shortly be inspecting property.

PM says they have quite a few renters who look after inside but don't look after outside of rental place. Funnily enough the backyard has been mowed.

Just by talking to PM, I have found out little things they do, not necessarily for us but things like;
Go out to Council Recycle Centre and buy replacement garbage bins and deliver, over to bunnings to by replacement sink plugs etc. Of course you pay for the items purchased but PM doesn't charge for doing the purchasing or dropping items off as in fee.

Our REA is a family run business so that helps and I have a friend with a few properties and he goes to another REA which is a family run business as well eg started by Grandfather, sold/passed down to son and now grandson working in business doing PM.

Regards
Sheryn

Hi guys, i am going to give you a (hopefully) unbias assesment of my agent FROM A TENANTS point of view.

Firstly i would love to be in a positin to have an IP (or 6!!!) and i would use this agent if i was in that position.

Our current agent is Barry Plant in Rowville. Now we have had 2 agents in out renting time and the 2 are poles apart.

Our current agent (Jess) is polite but firm, communicates well, does what she says she is going to do ON TIME (1st time i ever inspected a property where the agent was there BEFORE the advertised inspection time) gives you honest answers (No BS) and i believe has the interests of BOTH tenants and landlords in mind.

As a tenant i respect the fact i am in someone elses house but at the same time i am paying for that privilidge. Its a balancing act and Jess seems to nail it very well.

Just my thoughts.

Feel free to PM me if you wish to know the really bad agent we had, especially if you are in the Dandenong area.

Bradcon

Kudo's coming your way.

Hubby saw our PM drop off an envelope at the IP where tenant is not mowing the lawn today, so I will ask PM what that was about when I see him next as we have not had a tenant wo does not mow the lawn so I need to learn how they manage this for future reference.

Regards
Sheryn

The RE (on the southside of Brisbane) we use has the same problem, new PMs nearly every 6 months. Don't know what's going on. Current one is very incompetent. What she has been doing is she cuts and pastes our emails and sent to the previous tenant (we have problem with) and then she cuts and pastes their email and sends it to us. She has no brain to make any assessment or judgment.

We decided to use this RE 7 years ago after reading positive message on this site. It went well till recently, the RE has had many PMs in a short period. Something is really wrong.

I'm looking for a new PM. Recommendation will be greatly appreciated (Mt Gravatt / Mansfield / Holland Park area)

Happy to talk if you need someone local. Have had the same property manager for 5 years and am active in the property managemnet department on a daily basis. If you would like me to PM you Chris just let me know. :)

I have a few different property managers for my properties but the one standout is Richardson and Wrench at Rooty Hill. They have many years of experience and really do take the interests of the owner first, rather than the tenant, which seems rare these days. I bought a few DOH properties from them and sometimes they draw a less than desirable tenant, but these guys have been great with tenant selection and chasing up arrears etc without fuss.

On a sad note, one of the property managers, John, passed away this week and his funeral is today. he was one of the best property managers around and a lovely man. He will be sadly missed.

Back