I love google maps...

Recently I am looking for my first PPOR and I have found google maps to be a very valuable tool and helped me filtered a lot of property out because

1. you can enter the address very loosely and it will find it
2. the aerial views show whether extensions exists, how messy the backyard is.
3. the maps actually show the lot size, and the size of the land compared with the other lots in the area.
4. the traffic around the area, whether the property is near train line/ traffic lights etc.
5. once they have street view, you can even see the other properties on the same street to check the "feel" of the street...

for example, http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...&header=&cc=au&c=98479085&s=nsw&tm=1207966685
what is the neighbour at the back doing ? some kind of soil/sand business ??

Agree, defintiely a handy tool. If you have the actual GE program on your computer, you can also measure boundaries and frontages to a degree of accuracy (ie. within half a meter or so) - although you need to be careful as it doesn't have the lot boundaries on it.

and I remembered about a month ago they improved the satellite view images for Sydney with even higher resolutions, compared to Melbourne....

Not trying to brag, but want to recommend a 30" monitor to anyone who has been thinking about upgrading... they are well worth the money.

I paid around $1800 for my Samsung 305T and the difference is hard to describe. Not only can you easily have 10 windows open and viewable at once, but looking at Google maps/earth on it is unreal.

I paid around $1800 for my Samsung 305T and the difference is hard to describe. Not only can you easily have 10 windows open and viewable at once, but looking at Google maps/earth on it is unreal.

An excelant alternative is the Viewsonic 28 inch monitor for $799-00

Viewsonic VX2835WM 28 inch Widscreen LCD Monitor
Internet Price: $799.00
Retail Price: $809.00
Stock level: <5 (in Stock)
Model #: VX2835WM

http://www.umart.com.au/newindex2.phtml?bid=2

I have and mates do regularly purchase from them and have had no issues over many years of use.

Dave

i rediscovered google earth last night and was very impressed. a couple of months ago the resolution was fuzzy and it was difficult to distinguish one property from another ... now, with the new update, definition is fantastic.

some of the photos are old - it shows our property over 18 months ago - but for looking at things like rear access, laneways, distance from amenities and looking into backyards to see standards (pool, decking etc) it's great.

An excelant alternative is the Viewsonic 28 inch monitor for $799-00

Dave, I agree it could be a good alternative for the price. However although it seems almost as big, it only has 2.3m pixels as opposed to over 4m. Then again, it's half the price.

I agree too, that umart is an excellent place to buy if you're relatively savvy and already know what you want, however I don't recommend them to people who need hand-holding as I have found them to be not much help.

Agreed, I have been enjoying my new monitor though as it is my main entertainment source now for music and movies

And you are right, google earth is way cool, an I am checking out spots to take the boat into.

Measuring device is great as I can see that there is plenty of room to get through the gap in this lagoon, and I can get GPS lat/long as a guide in.

MMmmmm, I can feel the warm water and taste the crays now.

Dave

Attachments

• Entrance.JPG
    Entrance.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 74
  • Entrance 1.JPG
    Entrance 1.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 72
  • OOH Baby.JPG
    OOH Baby.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 80
and I remembered about a month ago they improved the satellite view images for Sydney with even higher resolutions, compared to Melbourne....

Yeah I noticed that when I looked at that property you highlighted. Adelaide is still the low resolution, plus the plane flew over on a cloudy day to boot in a lot of areas!

I wonder if the general public will ever have access to a live video version of Google Earth one day... 20 years later maybe? It would take some very serious bandwidth.

That would be brilliant. Currently I'd settle for them updating the maps more often. Having said that, they're providing the service to us for free, so we don't really have a right to complain! :)

Back