I want to move to Queensland

Queen Bee said:
Jacque

Jeez! Don't think I'd wanna pay that much. Has it got a gold plated toilet. By the way, what kind of rent would I be paying over there. For say a three bedroom house, air-conditioning, double garage.

But I could do "mates-rates" for your floorsanding!

Cheers, Queen BRISBee to be

Hehehe, maybe I'll take you up on that one day QB :)
My house is actually very close to city, in Petrie Tce. Very old part of Brissy, but great location!
Rent would really be dependent on where you live. It's a big spread out town, is Brissy. Biggest in area wise, of any capital city in Oz, actually.

Queen Bee said:
Lissie

What is the personal tax rate in Aussie? And why will I be liable for Capital Gains tax even if I don't sell my properties - which I won't? That doesn't make sense.

Cheers, Queen BRISBee to be

I know the top rate in Oz is >40% - the rates are quoted in that North & south article. The reason for the CGT is that although you havent sold you have left the Oz tax regime and returned to the NZ regime they do like a closing tax statement on you - not the right term I know but you get the drift - and if your properties have gone up in the interim they want the CGT ! Obviously if you dont leave Oz you are ok. The other option is not to become an Oz tax resident - which may be an option if you are going to be self employed ????? You probably want to talk to some serious tax a/c who knows both sides of the Tasman.

Queen Bee said:
What is the personal tax rate in Aussie?
$0 to $6,000 pa $0
$6,000 to $21600 17 cents in the dollar
$21,600 to $52,000 - $2,652 + 30 cents in the dollar
$52,000 to $62,500 - $11,772 + 42 cents in the dollar
Above $62,500 - $16,182 + 47 cents in the dollar

Plus 1.5% Medicare levy if applicable

geoffw said:
$0 to $6,000 pa $0
$6,000 to $21600 17 cents in the dollar
$21,600 to $52,000 - $2,652 + 30 cents in the dollar
$52,000 to $62,500 - $11,772 + 42 cents in the dollar
Above $62,500 - $16,182 + 47 cents in the dollar

Plus 1.5% Medicare levy if applicable

Hi Geoff,

Those rates were applicable for the last financial year - new tax rates (2004/2005) are as follows:

Taxable income - Tax on this income

$0 – $6,000 Nil
$6,001 – $21,600: 17c for each $1 over $6,000
$21,601 - $58,000: $2,652 plus 30c for each $1 over $21,600
$58,001 – $70,000: $13,572 plus 42c for each $1 over $58,000
Over $70,000: $18,612 plus 47c for each $1 over $70,000

Jamie

Thanks Jamie.

I've been overpaying my PAYE for the last few weeks :(

QB, if you're paying yourself from a business you will also need to allow a 9% super contribution.

Queen Bee,

As a Sydneysider I can't comment too much on SE Queensland, but I'm sure you will find it more enjoyable than windy Wellington. My only thought though is that you may do well to dwell on the positives of a potential location rather than the negatives of your current location. Concentrate on what you do want rather than what you don't.

geoffw said:
QB, if you're paying yourself from a business you will also need to allow a 9% super contribution.

Geoff,

Please explain. :confused:
I've been paying myself for years and have never contributed a 9% super con.

A86

QB
I am actually licensed for all type of hardwood floors,T&G parquetry cork etc.I have no problem with jobs and that is only working on the Gold Coast.
Two young blokes who worked for me in sydney are doing sanding only and as I said they are flat out.As for your mate at $8.00 M2 ???? Don't think so.
Would not even pay for poly or sand papers. :confused:
Cheers Layer 181

agent 86 said:
Geoff,

Please explain. :confused:
I've been paying myself for years and have never contributed a 9% super con.

A86
I could be (and probably am) wrong.

My company pays me my hourly rate, less margin, and less "employer fuinded contribution".

I had assumed that, if I was an employee of my company, paying myself, I would have to deduct the same.

That's probably wrong.

But it may be worth asking about.

My apologies for misleading.

Hi QB,

We used to live in Qld but are now back in the UK.
If I was you I would try it out for a year or 2 first, but definitely do try it.
Don't sell up in NZ until you are sure, as you can rent cheaply in QLd and in many places esp in the SE the market has probably peaked (I think).

I am an Aussie citizen but originally from the UK. Mrs Harpic is from Brisbane and would still rather be on the Sunshine Coast, but I am only allowed to work in rural areas so that wasn't possible. We therefore moved back to the UK after about 5 years in rural/remote Qld, mainly so we could bring up our babies with family close by - the reason I mention this is that Qld is BIG and you may need to think about family matters, whether kids (schooling) or ageing parents.

Good luck
Harpic
PS grass greener in Qld? Qld grass is brown

geoffw said:
I could be (and probably am) wrong.

My company pays me my hourly rate, less margin, and less "employer fuinded contribution".

I had assumed that, if I was an employee of my company, paying myself, I would have to deduct the same.

That's probably wrong.

But it may be worth asking about.

My apologies for misleading.

Geoff you are correct as usual, if you are an employee of your own company, the 9% super contribution from your employer (your company) is compulsory. If others are in this situation and are not contributing then ...... I wouldn't like to be in their position.
ab

BTW QB the grass is green not brown, at least near the coast, it has been an unseasonally dry winter however summer is when we get our rain.
Sunshine coast beats the Gold coast hands down, however Brisbane is the employment centre (depending on what u do) and is located between the two.
Winter lasts about 3-6 weeks (EKKA time), last week in BNE has averaged ~26 degrees and we are heading into spring.
I've been here now for 6 yrs from NSW and would never go back.
Know *very* few ppl who have made the move and looked back.
astro

astroboy said:
Geoff you are correct as usual, if you are an employee of your own company, the 9% super contribution from your employer (your company) is compulsory. If others are in this situation and are not contributing then ...... I wouldn't like to be in their position.
ab
Directors' fees may be treated differently.

geoffw said:
Directors' fees may be treated differently.

Directors fees are somewhat different, however in the case of being an employee and a director the superannuation contribution of 9% still applies.
ab

Thanks Geoff & Astro,

Am paying myself from my business and not paying 9% super.

Because the business i'm paying myself from is not a Company.

A86

I'm terrible with numbers. Our tax rates are:

16.2% on income up to $9,500
22.2% on income over $9,500 up to $38,000
34.2% on income over $38,000 up to $60,000
40.2% on income over $60,000 up to $88,728
Income over $88,728 is taxed at 39%, which is the max rate.

That's for your first job. But if you have another job, that's classed as secondary income and you are taxed more.

Yours does seem more - are I correct?

lissie

I didn't know that, I must ask my Accountant. Although I would probably rent my PPOR out and not declare it. I wouldn't be able to claim anything, but then hopefully I wouldn't have to pay anything either if I came back.

layer

How do you get licensed. I didn't think that $8 sounded right either. Do you advertise in the Yellow Pages?

We are coming over in March next year again to have a holiday and a better look around. We're staying at Turtle Beach and then going up to Alexandria Heads.

Cheers, QB

agent 86 said:
and no, I don't have anything to sell in Cooroy. :)
A86

Hahahaha ... ya know I never even considered someone would take my post that way, I know it was tongue in cheek it just never occured to me. :eek:

signature removed :D

astroboy said:
ab

Thats it now I am really mad, I am going to write myself a stern letter demanding I pay myself the superannuation I am owed. If I don't pay it to myself dammit I am going to quit, can't take these things lying down
:p

/joke :rolleyes:

QueenBee,

In order to work in Queensland as a contractor in the building industry you will need to apply for a contractors card. You can apply for this from the Qld building services authority. I don't think it will be too much drama for you but there are very strict penalties for people who get caught for not having the contractors licence. You can only advertise in the newspaper etc if you have a current licence no. It costs me around $250 per year to renew. I live on the southside of Brisbane at Cornubia in Logan. My wife and I would be happy to show you around when you come over. There is a huge amount of work in the building industry in queensland. You would have no trouble getting a job. The weather is fantastic for most of the year. You will find in Jan and Feb it gets quite hot and sticky but it's a small price to pay to live in such a great city. I have a kiwi emplyee who has worked for me for around 15 years now. He is from dunedin. He tried going back about 7 years ago and lasted about 4 months before returning to Brisbane. He reckons he'll never go back. I have been to wellington twice now and both times it was raining and windy. I love NZ though. It's a great place for a holiday.

Househunter

Back