Idea to convert an arched passageway to a door

Hi guys

I have got arched passageway that I want to fit a door on so I am just wondering if anyone had experience doing this or it's best left to the tradie? What trade do I need btw a handyman?
Thx in advance

We changed our arch to a rectangle opening, so it was more modern.
I dont think it would have worked to put a door in, and the whole idea was to open up the house more.
we had builders do it.. we are not handy at all. I would think to get straight edges, you would need to have experience with gyprocking.

gday, been sticky beaking around here for a while now looking for info because im only 22 and just about rounded up enough money for a depost on a first home. Trying to be smart about it at the same time so im looking around to see what other people have done and soaking up all the info i can get.

by trade i'm a plasterer and thought i should share my professional advice seeing so far the bucket load of info this forum has given me.
too answer your question yvonne yes you do need a tradie. A carpenter should be able to do this without any plaster work needed.
In saying this the job at hand is very diy-able if your confident enough.

cheers,
ben.

OH ! and I accept your apology for comparing us to a handy man :)

by trade i'm a plasterer and thought i should share my professional advice seeing so far the bucket load of info this forum has given me.
too answer your question yvonne yes you do need a tradie. A carpenter should be able to do this without any plaster work needed.
:)

as i said above, I am not a DIYer at all, but I dont see how you could do this without any plaster work.

all the arches I've ever seen were gyprocked..how do you cut and change that etc without having someone repair/ change the gyprock?

we have done the removal of arch in my sister's house. I am not an expert diyer, but old man covers up for my lack of ability.

Depends on your confidence in terms of work.

Hi YvonneVincent,

If you get someone in to do the work, start with a carpenter, depending on the size of opening you may not need a plaster, in saying that I'm betting you will. Depending on where your light switch is you may need an electrician as well.

Trades you will need Carpenter, Plaster, Painter maybe an Electrician.

I can say its a simple easy job as I'm converted plenty, however for someone that have never done one it can look difficult. maybe worth getting the trades in and see how its done.

Brian

Yes, they date a house as well.
Not difficult if you are handy. Archways start off as rectangular so you just need to put it back to it's original shape.
The plaster will need to be cut back to the original framework, removed and possibly some extra noggins removed/added and then replastered. I have never fitted any doors to the ones I have removed however can't see any reason why this would be difficult. Highly unlikely an electrician would be needed unless someone else has fiddled around.
Coat of paint or 2 and there you are.

To turn the arch into a square you need to cut out the upper left and right corners, fix up the studs and then jamb and architraves.

No gyprock work needed.

btw, The OP didnt state what the wall was made of.

as i said above, I am not a DIYer at all, but I dont see how you could do this without any plaster work.

all the arches I've ever seen were gyprocked..how do you cut and change that etc without having someone repair/ change the gyprock?

Is the archway masonary, brick or blockwork?
If so, it may be structural and more difficult than if just timber framed plasterboard.

Either way, if you have to ask the question in your original post, you will need a tradesman, or possibly 2.

We removed a arch and squared it off, at the same time we put in a cavity slider door which helps keep the heat in and reduce noise down to the bedrooms.

Back