Ideas for looking for jobs

Haha I've only ever seen it spelt out longhand in job agency window ads and the kid is only 11 so a bit young to be hanging out in bars :)

I've been idly thinking about getting a part time job for a while just for the 'out' factor as well as some pocket money but was thinking more retail at one of the hardware stores or checkout chick. Not sure why I didn't think pub. Probably because I don't go to them ...

I would be asking why does your partner want a job - is it to earn some necessary cash or just to get out of the house/get a qualification/career?

If extra cash is not extremely necessary perhaps she may want to think about what sort of job she really wants to do for personal satisfaction and use the time she has available to enroll in TAFE or uni and work towards getting a qualification. This will allow her to get a much better job or career in the future and Austudy etc will help in the short term for finances.

If she is not inclined towards having a qualified job or career in the future then maybe look at doing some secretarial/reception/hospitality or retail short courses. There are not many jobs available for people with no skills or qualifications and those that are tend to get given to migrants or students who will work for next to nothing and don't complain about their wages or conditions.

Replied yesterday but for some reason it didn't post.

We just hired a part timer. The girl who got the job got it through her Husband volunteering at one of our events, and when we moved to town she went out of her way to help and befriend us (at the time with no idea a job may be in the offing). As such she ended up getting offered a job that from what we've been told has made a few others jealous (outdoor events, we work around her kids school hours and excursions etc but still ensure she gets the hours she wants in terms of number with a couple of interstate weekends away each year of travel) and this was with no experience just a lot of enthusiasm. I'll hire on attitude over skills any day except for technical jobs. Your girlfriend just needs to demonstrate similar attitude to employers.

Also don't neglect the "other" pathways into roles - volunteering, networking, linked in, tafe teachers, various clubs, also the local chamber of commerce and business networks.

I would be asking why does your partner want a job - is it to earn some necessary cash or just to get out of the house/get a qualification/career?

If extra cash is not extremely necessary perhaps she may want to think about what sort of job she really wants to do for personal satisfaction and use the time she has available to enroll in TAFE or uni and work towards getting a qualification. This will allow her to get a much better job or career in the future and Austudy etc will help in the short term for finances.

If she is not inclined towards having a qualified job or career in the future then maybe look at doing some secretarial/reception/hospitality or retail short courses. There are not many jobs available for people with no skills or qualifications and those that are tend to get given to migrants or students who will work for next to nothing and don't complain about their wages or conditions.

To start with looking at getting some cash, we are saving for our wedding later on in the year....

Long term plan will to be to get some qualifications, but will focus on that after our wedding, unless she can make up her mind on which one she would like to do...:rolleyes:

My partner has now got all the kids at school and is now looking for a job, we have looked for the last month applying to many jobs and placing expressions of intrest. She is looking a job in retail. However is proving hard to get any work at them moment.

She has been out of the work force for long time, approx 8yrs, has no trade or cert's.... Still young at 26 and keen to get into the workforce asap.

Fast food is not an option.

There is not many jobs going in our current location (Townsville)....

Any ideas would be welcome,

Cheers,

Luke

Don't laugh, but try some of the golf clubs/courses.

Many times they are short of office, bar, kitchen, proshop and even grounds staff, and I've known women at the various golf clubs I've worked at that have been there for many years because they like the work and the environment.

You don't need to be a golfer for these jobs, but it helps so you can understand the dribble that golfers come out with before and after their round.

Back