Identifying asbestos

Hi all,

We've been doing some renovations lately and come across some walls that could contain asbestos. It's a late 60s house that has been messed around with... most walls are masonite but the ceilings are likely to be asbestos fibro (nailed every 30cm or so).

We started removing some wall sheeting in a walk in robe and while three walls were masonite, one wall (connects to ensuite) seems to be fibro... I took a photo of the edge up close and I think I can see clumps of fibres. I'm having trouble attaching a photo here, so I'll try a little later.

Anyway, now we're worried that the whole ensuite is asbestos as we want to knock down some walls. Ensuite seems to be 80s(?) style... small brown mosaic-type floor tiles, brown shower with bubbly yellow/brown screen, cream-brown vanity and toilet. The walls contain some joins that have been badly gapped (i.e. you can see the joins in the sheets). Got a phone quote for $650 to remove the walls, ceiling and tiles from the room (2.2m x 2.2m), which sounded pretty good... but now we're doubting whether it is asbestos at all, in which case we'd do it ourselves. Maybe the bathroom is more non-asbestos ugly 90s?

We can see the back of the ensuite sheeting, which says it's Hardi-something. It looks surprisingly new. They seem to have used blue glue to stick it in there, and someone told me that blue glue is a fairly recent thing?

Any ideas whether this blue glue stuff came after asbestos was phased out? It'd be great to save the removal costs, but I don't want to deal with asbestos myself.

Cheers

Its dry and gritty to eat with a slight aftertaste.....:eek: DONT EAT IT.

If in doubt i would get in a proffesional. problem is with many houses having many renos over the years. It can be hard to date each part of the house so age alone is not a guarantee and it can be a suprise with what actually contains asbestos. get a pro to have a dig around. My 2c

Steve

Blue glue sounds like gyprock plasterboard adhesive- it's a light blue paste that you put on the studs in dobs to stick the board (as well as a few well-placed nails etc). No idea when they started making it or any other blue glue types. However, any bathroom pre-1985 (and well, probably even pre-1990 as old stocks were used up) may contain asbestos sheeting. Hardie were huge manufacturers of asbestos sheeting. The colours described in your ensuite sound '70s (especially the yellow glass!) so I would tread with caution.

You can send a sample of the sheet to be tested for asbestos fibres (do your ceilings while you're at it) and then you will know for sure. If you do a search of previous threads for asbestos labs you will find the names of some testing facilities that have been discussed here previously. Then pay the professionals to remove it for you.

Yep, I think I'll get a bit of it tested to be sure. It seems to say "Hardiboard", and googling only seems to show up things about Hardiboard being a non-asbestos containing material. Hmm...

Then there's the possibility that not all four walls will be the same material!

You're totally right about the renos, some very interesting things have happened to this house - exhaust fans in hallways, etc.

Fun times!

Blue glue sounds like gyprock plasterboard adhesive- it's a light blue paste that you put on the studs in dobs to stick the board (as well as a few well-placed nails etc). No idea when they started making it or any other blue glue types. However, any bathroom pre-1985 (and well, probably even pre-1990 as old stocks were used up) may contain asbestos sheeting. Hardie were huge manufacturers of asbestos sheeting. The colours described in your ensuite sound '70s (especially the yellow glass!) so I would tread with caution.

You can send a sample of the sheet to be tested for asbestos fibres (do your ceilings while you're at it) and then you will know for sure. If you do a search of previous threads for asbestos labs you will find the names of some testing facilities that have been discussed here previously. Then pay the professionals to remove it for you.

Thanks amiaow! Quite possible that the bathroom is 70s, except the wall just doesn't look that old. It's all a mystery, and I will solve it by doing some testing. Looks like $38.50 from parsons brinckerhoff is a good option for lab testing.

Just thought I'd give an update - had a builder around for another reason and got him to check out the sheeting. He said quite certainly that it doesn't contain asbestos, confirming my dad's opinion. Apparently it's just too new and smooth. He also agreed that the blue adhesive stuff is pretty recent, and this guy's in his 70s so I guess he would know!

Now we can take it all down while we ponder the sanity of the people that chose the fittings for the bathroom in such an old daggy style.

Hi Gotit,

before you go ripping it out and breathing the dust in, I'd just call "James Hardies Industries". They have an advisor that will help you identify it. I did just that a few years ago when I found some fibro in my house. They asked if there was a serial number on the back. When I said 'no' they said 'well it will definately contain some asbestos then' !!! I then got 3 samples tested and yep... they all contained asbestos. This was despite my builder saying 'Nah, that's too new to have any in it'

They reckon that the asbestos was only totally stopped in 1983 so the reno can look quite new. DoNot just go on the advice of your builder (they are their to get the job done and if they stopped work every time they suspected asbestos they would never get any work done.

Mate, it's not worth the risk to yourself or your family. Find out for sure.

Can you access the rear of the sheeting.
Most sheeting after asbestos was removed had asbestos free written on the back.

I have done two bathroom Reno's of 70s houses. Both contained sheeting with asbestos. The most recent I had tested for $70 and cost me an extra $600 to have it professionally removed. You would not have lab testing if you can tell by looking!

Asbestos was still used up until he mid 80s with builders and DIYers having it laying around in storage and still using it. Trust me I researched it to no end. Risk of asbestosis is increased the more you are (or your family) are exposed but you can get it from just a few microscopic fibers in your lungs. Residential less risk than the lagging used for industrial. $670 for me and my family was a no brainer.

Plus think of others if you try to dispose of it. Get caught and you'll wish you got a pro.

I have recently renovated a 70s bathroom. When the builder removed the tiles, he discovered domestic asbestos and using a mask and gloves removed it.

I checked it out on the EPA site which advised that as long as a mask and gloves were used this could be taken, double wrapped and sealed to various asbestos tips. It must be domestic asbestos.

The closest one to me was at Woollert (Mernda). I wrapped, wrapped and wrapped the sheets and sealed them with the silver duct tape from Bunnings, put it in my boot and drove it out there. (This was Monday 6th Feb - tip closed on Sundays)

There was no problem dumping it, they have a special container and someone to assist. The cost is $70 up to half a tonne. The car gets weighed on the way in and on the way out.

Hope this helps
Chris

Hi all,

We've been doing some renovations lately and come across some walls that could contain asbestos. It's a late 60s house that has been messed around with... most walls are masonite but the ceilings are likely to be asbestos fibro (nailed every 30cm or so).

We started removing some wall sheeting in a walk in robe and while three walls were masonite, one wall (connects to ensuite) seems to be fibro... I took a photo of the edge up close and I think I can see clumps of fibres. I'm having trouble attaching a photo here, so I'll try a little later.

Anyway, now we're worried that the whole ensuite is asbestos as we want to knock down some walls. Ensuite seems to be 80s(?) style... small brown mosaic-type floor tiles, brown shower with bubbly yellow/brown screen, cream-brown vanity and toilet. The walls contain some joins that have been badly gapped (i.e. you can see the joins in the sheets). Got a phone quote for $650 to remove the walls, ceiling and tiles from the room (2.2m x 2.2m), which sounded pretty good... but now we're doubting whether it is asbestos at all, in which case we'd do it ourselves. Maybe the bathroom is more non-asbestos ugly 90s?

We can see the back of the ensuite sheeting, which says it's Hardi-something. It looks surprisingly new. They seem to have used blue glue to stick it in there, and someone told me that blue glue is a fairly recent thing?

Any ideas whether this blue glue stuff came after asbestos was phased out? It'd be great to save the removal costs, but I don't want to deal with asbestos myself.

Cheers

There is ONLY 1 way to find out for sure - have it laboratory tested.
Google asbestos Labs in Melb.
For approx $50-$100, money well spent!
Be diligent in the way you pack and send , ask them for their preferred method of control.

If you plan to take it in yourself, follow a few steps
mix up a solution of pva and water in a spray bottle (Pump packs are even better)

Spray the wall, and carefully break a bit off - spraying the wall as you do to minimise airborne particles.

double bag the sample and there you go.

Go out to the porch, and light up a smoke for a job well done! haha
I kid i joke! :p

On the advice of nearly everyone, I had a small piece of the cement sheeting tested at Parsons Brinckerhoff (I'm in Brisbane) and it came back with "no asbestos detected". Very good news.

Hi,
We did a bathroom (circa 1970) reno and were told that it wasn't asbestos but we thought it had to be for that era. I don't know about elsewhere but in Qld you can remove up to 10 sq meters of asbestos if you follow all of the guidelines for removal, packing and disposal. So all suited up with respiratory mask, gloves etc and the plastic sheets and tape standing by, I took off the first sheet. It was stamped "Maufactured without the use of asbestos". I cut that section out to keep, just in case I was queried for dumping the rest.

You never know you just may get a nice surprise when you begin work.

Back