If i fire the managing agent, can I retain the tenant?

I have decided to fire our incompetent property manager.

Reasons:
1) For many months last year, rent was not collected (2 weeks - 6 weeks late). Once, when it was 2 weeks late I emailed the agent, she said she will check it. Then the next week, no news. I emailed again, she says rent should come into my account in a few days. After a few more weeks (already nearly 6 weeks late), I asked the senior manager whats happening. Did she forget to pass the rent to me? Did the tenant pay late? Please explain. Instead, the answer I got via email was " you should receive the rent into your account by Friday".

2) Last year when the dryer broke down, they wanted to call a plumber to come to give a repair quote,but agent forewarned me that plumber will charge a quoting fee if I do not go ahead with his quote. I asked the agent to find a plumber that doesn't charge for quoting, the reply I got was "it is very common for contractors to charge for quoting fee". I said "then it is YOUR responsibility as an AGENT of mine to FIND one that doesn't charge for quoting! If I get charged for quotes I will hold you responsible!" The reply I got was "This is our policy and standard procedure".

So, does anyone have any good Property Manager recommendation for Melbourne city?

I would also like to know, if i fire this agent, can i still keep the tenant? THis tenant keeps the place clean and we would like to keep them.

Suppose we would like to self-manage, do I just write a letter or email to the agent telling them to terminate their service and return the keys to me? What happens to the BOND in the bond board? Do I need to contact the bond board?

Reasons:
1) For many months last year, rent was not collected (2 weeks - 6 weeks late). Once, when it was 2 weeks late I emailed the agent, she said she will check it. Then the next week, no news. I emailed again, she says rent should come into my account in a few days. After a few more weeks (already nearly 6 weeks late), I asked the senior manager whats happening. Did she forget to pass the rent to me? Did the tenant pay late? Please explain. Instead, the answer I got via email was " you should receive the rent into your account by Friday".

2) Last year when the dryer broke down, they wanted to call a plumber to come to give a repair quote,but agent forewarned me that plumber will charge a quoting fee if I do not go ahead with his quote. I asked the agent to find a plumber that doesn't charge for quoting, the reply I got was "it is very common for contractors to charge for quoting fee". I said "then it is YOUR responsibility as an AGENT of mine to FIND one that doesn't charge for quoting! If I get charged for quotes I will hold you responsible!" The reply I got was "This is our policy and standard procedure".

So, does anyone have any good Property Manager recommendation for Melbourne city?

I would also like to know, if i fire this agent, can i still keep the tenant? THis tenant keeps the place clean and we would like to keep them.

Suppose we would like to self-manage, do I just write a letter or email to the agent telling them to terminate their service and return the keys to me? What happens to the BOND in the bond board? Do I need to contact the bond board?

You 100% keep the tenant - the managing agent has no rights over the tenant.

All you need to do is send the agent a notice of termination - specify the end date in line with your notice period on your agreement with the agent.

Good luck!

hi

I like your nickname BeYourOwnAgent!
:rolleyes:

THanks for your advise. How about the bond part? The agent submitted the bond to the board. Will the agent have to give me the receipt and authority for me to ask the bond board to release the bond when my tenant moves out next time? There is a paper receipt and number from the bond board right?

hi

I like your nickname BeYourOwnAgent!
:rolleyes:

THanks for your advise. How about the bond part? The agent submitted the bond to the board. Will the agent have to give me the receipt and authority for me to ask the bond board to release the bond when my tenant moves out next time? There is a paper receipt and number from the bond board right?

You can get a change of managing agents form for your bond - just put your details in and send to the bond board and it will be transferred over to your name.

Ok thanks BeYourOwnAgent,

I have written a poem for you,

There is a place in France called Nice,
And you are very nice!;)

ha ha

If you're not sure about managing yourself, or the legislation you must abide by, I would highly recommended Nicole Wiseman (Goofy) from Hamton (03) 9915 8288

If referred a few through to her and have had no complaints :)

If you're not sure about managing yourself, or the legislation you must abide by, I would highly recommended Nicole Wiseman (Goofy) from Hamton (03) 9915 8288

If referred a few through to her and have had no complaints :)

Its easier to switch agents. The new agent will take care the transfer of bond and picking up of tenant folders etc for you.

A good PM is worth their weight in gold.

I get charged $1,300 average p.a. for my property, after claiming it off my tax, it works out for about $900. $900 to save me grief is money well spent!

That said, there are tonne of crappy property managers out there. You just need to find the good ones!

The only tip i can give if you decide to self manage is NEVER EVER admit you are the owner. You need that layer of separation (which a PM would provide), otherwise if you a nice person you will be get taken advantage of by the tenant.

I am not sure that is a wise move. You will need to do it late at night, so that no one will see you "fire" them. I believe that is what people do in some countries, when they are unhappy with people .... :)

Sorry, the heading caught my eye, and the sarcastic side of my brain kicked in first. I thought, its more usual to "terminate the management agreement" than "fire".

Back