If owner inspects IP....

Dose this mean that any scheduled inspections by the PM are canceled?

We have inspected Ip in Oct 09 and now Feb 10 ( i know close together only time we could get there) and found a bit of a mess! Asked to meet with PM and if she could have most recent inspection info (thinking that she had been in and I had left inspection info at home) any how she informs me that because as the owner we inspected means she doesn't need to do it!

I haven't had this previously (only been with this agent 18 months) and the property is in WA and we live in qld so don't get over there very often!

So is this common? I cant see anything in the contract for this!

any feedback would be appreciated! :D

Boof

so wot u expect 3 inspection in 5 months? pfft i would breach your *** in a heartbeat if u tried that crap on me. by law LL allowed one inspection every 6 months where i live

If you communicate with your tenants and ask to inspect - as long as they agree, you can inspect. If they say no - you may not be able to if it breaches the time frames set out in the Residential Tenancies Act for that state.

The number of inspections permissible is not dictated by the management contract you have with the agent. What takes precedence is the Residential Tenancies Act for that state to protect the "quiet enjoyment" of the tenant.

Our PM advises in advance when they are going to inspect and if we choose we accompany them. Two birds with the one stone etc.

As you live a distance away, I would suggest you liaise with your PM so that you both inspect at the same time.

We usually inspect once a year. For you to inspect twice in around 5 months seems excessive, especially as you are paying a PM. What was the point of such frequent inspections? Were there ongoing problems, or did you just want to "have a look" at your investment?
Marg

Thanks for the replies!

The tenant was quite happy on both occasions for us to come through! We just wanted a look to see if there was any maintenance issues, things that we could do instead of getting trades in! We get calls saying the exhaust fan in bathroom dosnt work, a handy man goes up to fix and says it wasnt working because it was blocked up with dust! Things like that

The property manager does not have much experiance so we thought that because we happen to be in town we may as well have a look.

In hindsight I should have arranged to go with PM!

Why did you go with a PM without much experience?

In NSW it's max 4 per year (as mentioned). With new tenants I like a first inspection after 8 weeks. If everything is OK I'm happy to leave it 6 monthly.

so wot u expect 3 inspection in 5 months? pfft i would breach your *** in a heartbeat if u tried that crap on me. by law LL allowed one inspection every 6 months where i live

Then you've got something to hide with attitude like that. As people have said if the tenant okays it then it's ok...

This is exactly what investors have to contend with.. arrogant tenants who have no other intentions but to stymie the LL at all costs.

It's called co-operation.....you know...getting on with each other to create a win-win situation....there may be problems with the property, well then the LL can't fix unless they get to see it.....!
You'd be the first to complain that something does not work yet don't want to co-operate to help the situation....pffftt indeed...!

Then you've got something to hide with attitude like that. As people have said if the tenant okays it then it's ok...

This is exactly what investors have to contend with.. arrogant tenants who have no other intentions but to stymie the LL at all costs.

Attitude indeed!! Have a look at the other posts by Spanket. He passed Attitude 101 with high marks :p:D

I'm curious Spanket.... are you a tenant and perhaps have been burned by a bad landlord, because your previous posts are very anti landlords. Are you also a landlord?

Spanket - raise your level of communication before you are completely derided on this forum.

Back to the topic - each state has different rules for inspections. I don't have any WA property, so I can't comment. I just researched VIC - you can do 2 inspections a year, plus one in the first month and last months of tenancy.

In NSW, you can do 4 a year, plus any additional inspections required to follow up on rental breaches.

Boof - you really should visit the property with your property manager. It's not your job to perform an inspection as part of the lease - it's theirs. However, you are completely entitled to inspect your own property - just keep it simple and prearrange with the property manager.

I would also offer that if any repairs need doing there is nothing stopping you (the LL) performing these repairs/maint jobs and getting a 'free' inspection as a result...!

Ooooo nasty scheming landlords.....:D

If you got nothing to hide then no problem....;)

Boof

I would be less worried about the tenants than I would about the PM by the sounds of it. Don't take the cheap PM, find the one that is the best, because when you get down to the nitty gritty I would much rather pay someone to do there job properly and be thorough, than need to go along and hold there hand. I have a very good PM who in the end adds about $6 a week in her costs to some of my properties but she goes in every 6 months if she thinks there is a problem she tells them she will be back in either 1,2 or 3 months. Any problems either she or tenant have a photo itaken and then a decision can be made on what is the best outcome. In some cases it also acts as the verification if she needs to send it to someone to quote on so the tenant does not have 3 people walking through the house to quote. If you can find a very good PM stick with them
Jezza

Boof, check your lease, and the legislation in WA. As many had said, you may not be able to so close together.

Or, next time take photos (if you are allowed?) and pass on to PM. Surely if the place is a mess though they should send them a breach, if it's in a really bad state and they deserve it of course.

Ah, welcome again Spanket! Nice to see your negetive face around here. How about getting off all LLs backs and put in some actual constructive feedback for once?

All your posts have been about how bad LLs are etc. If you've got that attitude, how about you try it yourself?

Boof is just trying to find out IF they can, because the tenant is breaching their duties signed in their lease, not saying "oh, i want these tenants out" or "i want them bombarded with inspections because they don't keep it clean". Boof is asking what i would consider (and many others) to be a reasonable question.

How about next time you put in a constructive word?

If you communicate with your tenants and ask to inspect - as long as they agree, you can inspect.

What takes precedence is the Residential Tenancies Act for that state to protect the "quiet enjoyment" of the tenant.

Exactly, if your tenants agree, no probs. If they say no, you can't if you're not entitled due to legislation.

Boof, by the sounds of it, you have pretty good tenants, has there been any other issues? If not, i think you're problem is with your PM as well.

Back