If the Federal Election were held tomorrow, how would you vote?

If the Federal Election was held tomorrow, how would you vote?

• Liberal/National Coalition

Votes: 41 51.3%
  • Australian Labor Party

Votes: 23 28.8%
  • The Greens

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • The Democrats

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 7 8.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There has been much talk recently about the impending election - depending on who you believe, to be held some time between mid-September and the last weekend in October :)

Recent polls show the Coalition ahead on primary votes, while the two-party preferred is pretty much anyones guess (last weeks polls are calling it for the Coalition, 51-49)

People make constant reference to the fact that, for whatever reason, members of this forum are not the average citizen, and Im wondering if polling those who post on this forum will show a different result to that reported in the media.

Please note: This is an anonymous poll - nobody can see how you voted.

(By the same token, anyone who would like to divulge why they voted the way they did would similarly be welcome :) )

Thanks,

Jamie.

Last edited:
Im not suprised the Liberals are ahead here given the economic/entrepenuerial biases found on this forum as opposed to maybe a forum on health care where there is likely to be more Labour voters. Though I cant stand the bickering and name calling the major parties (Labor and Liberal) seem to do between eachother and I get really pee'd off when the government misleads the country (Iraq, children overboard), I think generally they have done a good job with the economy. At the end of the day, I beleive you can help alot more people through intelligent sound economic policy than by simply giving more money to the public services and trying to make them more efficient with their money.

Hi all,
Politics.... Here is something that we could really get into a heated debate about if we tried :eek:

I'm generally of the opinion of "a plague on both your houses" as the lies that they all tell mean that policy statements are useless.
The best explanation I have ever heard for a broken promise from a polly has to go to little Johnie, "non-core promise". Like they give us a list before the election for core or non-core.

After a couple of terms in office times up(for both sides).

May you all be lucky enough to live in a marginal seat. Hmmm... I wonder if anyone has any stats on the cap growth in marginal seats. I mean afterall the infrastructure is almost always better.

Bill now tries to turn cynic mode off. Nup didn't workbye

This is a big question for me. My entire voting life, I've been a democrate voter, but given what they've done since the last election, I'm off elsewhere.

the problem is, I'm not sure where.

Jas

Andrew said:
Where is the option for informal?

andy

Hi Andy,

My opinion is that, when you vote informal, you are basically saying "I dont want a say in how my country is governed"...

I dont think there needs to be a separate option on the poll - just dont vote on it :)

Jamie.

What I'm actually saying is three things:

1. There's nobody worth voting for.
2. I resent coming out here when there's nobody worth voting for.
3. Nobody ever wins by just one vote so my vote isn't important anyhow.

Now if everyone thought 3. then we'd be in trouble but since they don't
the rest of you are safe from people like me.

andy

I'm with you Jas, have been a democrat voter ( not that it matter in lower house where we live )

They have really self destructed and current leader is a nothing , but I'm not convinced that the Greens are enough based in reality, and I think Latham is too much of a loose canon.

I used to have the poster " make sure brain is engaged before opening mouth " ( or something like that on my wall). I think Mark needs one of those.

I think Latham will make a good PM one day , but a term learning some restraint as leader of the opposition will do him the world of good.

See Change

On a different note, wife and I both think that while you should have to present at the polling booth, there should be a box labelled "I choose not to place a vote".

That way, you're forced to think about the issues (ie turn up at the polling place), but if you don't think you're well enough informed, there's a box there just for you.

What do you guys think?

How about a "Don't Know" option. If it was to be held tomorrow, I would probably decide when I have the ballot in hand.

While I would tend to lean towards the Libs, I still haven't forgiven Howard for stealing the Republic away from Australia. I still don't know who will get my vote.

But you can simply place an empty ballott into the box and that counts as a no vote...............thats as good as a "dont know" box.

qazwsx said:
But you can simply place an empty ballott into the box and that counts as a no vote...............thats as good as a "dont know" box.
Did that in the latest state election. Just couldn't bring myself to mark the paper, the options were so awful!

T

Vote for Helen Clarke

Hi yall,

I will Vote for a Party which has the brains to 'DISTANCE' Australia from the USA and their moronic and corrupt administration.

Am afraid that we (Australians) will be dragged along to become enemies of MOST other nations, especially very angry ones whom have been dupped and bombed by the USA.

I would rather be poorer but SAFER - and have a country that is OK to raise kids in. The way we are going with the Howard government is NOT conducive to my wishes.

Aussies should do more homework about world politics and the history of US atrocities over the past 40 years. The new USA is NOT the same the the one who helped out WWII.

I wish Helen Clarke was standing. She'd get my vote.

SW

I'm a traditional labor voter (via greens preferences). But I'm leaning Liberal. Help me. This is despite the fact I despite Howard for depriving the people the republic they wanted.

Agree with you 100% Splinter Wood,I said to someone the other day I'm going to live in NZ if Howard gets back in-fawning all over a fool like GWB
and getting Australia involved in his debacle. and worst of all he's lied to us,
over and over again about so many things,
Whenever I see him on TV I just think Liar Liar pants on fire -

Hypothetical:

Is it better to have a liar as Prime Minister, leading a government with good policies, or an honest Prime Minister with bad policies. Something to think about but don't forget this is purely a hypothetical - I'm not suggesting one party's policies are better than anothers. In fact I think they're almost identical anyway!

Glebe said:
Hypothetical:

Is it better to have a liar as Prime Minister, leading a government with good policies, or an honest Prime Minister with bad policies. Something to think about but don't forget this is purely a hypothetical - I'm not suggesting one party's policies are better than anothers. In fact I think they're almost identical anyway!
Replying hypothetically: Would a lying Prime Minister who did a lousy job economically and allowed his nation to reach such a parlous state as the one in my recent post in http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?p=112691#post112691 be worthy of your vote?

Thommo

Thommo I notice you've replied hypothetically but not answered hypothetically. So, if I were to answer 'no' to your hypothetical how would you answer mine?

Back