If you were given $500,000. Which city would you buy in?

$500,000. Where would you buy?

• Adelaide

Votes: 12 8.1%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 62 41.9%
  • Darwin

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • Perth

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Sydney

Votes: 29 19.6%

• Total voters
I agree with your assessment, but I've also found that Brisbane's holding costs are significantly higher.

* Investors are charged higher council rates by the Brisbane City Council.
* Melbourne's property management fees are often around 6%-7%, Brisbane starts at 8%.
* If you don't have a 'water wise' certificate for a Brisbane property, you can end up paying for a significant portion of their water usage (not just the supply).

Throw in higher insurance costs as well.

Where to buy for $500,000

Because it has been under valued I believe that Brisbane is a good place to invest.

With an improving economy there is a lot of upside. However with a lot of changes to the planning codes it could create an over supply within a few years. So look fr townhouses and larger apartments. Do not touch small and student apartments

A reno and hold job in the inner north of Canberra. Might be hard to find something for $500k but something should eventually pop up.

Cheers

Jamie

Regarding water charges in "Brisbane", Unity Water (Moreton Region and Sunshine Coast) charges a huge supply charge for water and only a tiny bit now for usage. Therefore the amount paid by tenants has been substantially reduced and we get to pay almost all the charges anyway. I cant talk about a Brisbane City water bill though.

Imho, brisbane already start the steam since last year. I will put my money on adelaide, in south surround noarlunga. Within 1-2 years the growth will awesome (finger cross)

Back