I'm free! I'm free!

Just finished my last day of work yesterday. Have moved out of my flat in London, sent all my stuff (and a sorry lot it is: when I had to fill in the insurance form there was a section saying 'list any items >£250' and I couldn't find any) by ship and will be leaving for a 2 month holiday to the US and Asia with my girlfriend. No job, no rent to pay, nothing. Just us, two suitcases and a plane ticket. Plenty of time to sightsee, see family and friends and just relax. I plan to read a lot during this trip, observe property markets in the places that I visit, and generally THINK a lot about property. So that when I come back to Sydney in June, I'll have a plan all ready to go.

THIS is the sort of thing that becomes possible with some decent money management. THIS is what all the saving, reading, dealing with agents, paperwork and accountants creates. CHOICES. I can choose to quit my job, just drop everything and take some time off, knowing that even though I'll be spending savings and not earning a salary during this time, my shares and property are making money for me.

Just received my Telstra 3 dividend which is 7% tax free AND I'll be getting the franking credits back when I do my Oz tax return this year. My last payday is in the new UK tax year (which ends 5 April) so that pay will probably be tax free (as I can use the 07/08 tax threshold for the UK). However, since the Oz tax year ends 30 June, all of it still falls under 06/07 for Oz so I pass the 91 continuous overseas employment rule and none of it is taxed further in Oz. Something for the UK forumites to consider if you plan to leave in the future.

Since I'm returning in June, the earliest I'll start work would be July 07, which would be the new tax year in Oz. I'm looking forward to 07/08 as I will be paying almost no Australian tax due to all the tax losses I've accumulated (the depreciation was 'free', but of course the losses from cash expenses I've been making up from savings) over the last 6 years overseas.

My colleagues all want to do the same, but they're too weighed down by their mindset and past decisions. They have too much PPOR, no investments and are WAY too emotionally attached to their jobs (even though they complain about it all the time) and the 'security' it seems to provide. If they ever became unemployed, they would crumble emotionally, not so much because they like their job but their FEAR of not having an income would be too much for them.

My girlfriend called her parents to tell them that I've quit and we'll be travelling, and her father's first question was 'Uh, how is Alex paying for all of this?' We didn't bother explaining the investments part, just that I saved money from my job. They would probably have a heart attack if they knew how much debt I have.
Alex

Have a great trip Alex, Will you still post and update us with your observations and thoughts along the way?

Regards Jason.

Have a great trip Alex, Will you still post and update us with your observations and thoughts along the way?

Regards Jason.

I hope so. I have my laptop with me and most hotels these days have broadband connections.

I also find that I think better when I'm not working and well rested, so I'm going to spend some time writing down my random thoughts. What I want to do, how I envision my life to be in the future, etc.
Alex

Hi Alex

Your notes from UK have always been interesting. I look forward to hearing about the place you will be holidaying in. Will it be a sort of research holiday? It would be great as you intend to read lots and think lots about property. It would be a great twist if you could think about how boomers could live well overseas while investing in Oz. That would be a new world aspect of being financially independent. :)

Cheers and have a great deserved holidays.

F

Great stuff Alex. Have a ball over the next few months clearing the thoughts and plotting your next venture.

When I pulled the pin with work overseas last July and returned back to Oz, it was an amazing feeling. I couldn't help singing to myself Ïma leavin' on a jet plane"....and it felt so right.

Left behind a rather tired bunch of American men aged between 55 and 64 who all desparately still needed their jobs, despite having been ex-pats on massive incomes for 30, 35 and in big Jim's case 42 years. When I eventually felt comfortable telling them what I had going back home that allowed me to quit, they all became strangely quiet.....not something seen too often with a room of red blooded go get ém Yankees.

Anyway, enjoy your adventures, and if you ever swing through Perth, givvus a hoy and we'll catch up for a wee chinwag.

Congratulations! I think you covered every base. Have a great trip!

Yes, it is a great feeling. We are actually going to London, probably Spain and Asia in June for a month break. My husband has only been employed for 3mths so he hasn't accumulated much leave but it's nice to be able to take take unpaid leave.....in that sense, you don't feel tied to your job.

Good on yer Alex. You've talked about this next step in your plan for sometime now, and now acting on it. Seems like the time is right for you to proceed to this next phase.

I've always enjoyed your posts...well thought out and easy to understand the economic analyses...keep 'em coming.

Have a wonderful journey. I imagine you will have a keen sense of what property is doing around you in each country you visit...and ofcourse I'll look fwd to those posts.

So take care...have fun...relax...enjoy it all!

You are free!

Hang loose, hang free, have fun...lots and lots of crazy fun.

I will miss you Alex, love your posts, very smart man but glad you are ripping off just for the hell of it.

Safe travels.

No fear :)

Well done alex and enjoy your holiday! sounds awesome.

my wife and i also love travelling. gives life some nice balance for us rather than all working/investing etc.

cheers

jase

What a strange co-incidence!

I'll be starting a new contract on Monday after having the last four months off.

The stress levels have never been lower. I think they've even gone negative!

If it's not already on your itinerary Phi Phi island Thailand is an amazing place to visit.

You are free!

Hang loose, hang free, have fun...lots and lots of crazy fun.

I will miss you Alex, love your posts, very smart man but glad you are ripping off just for the hell of it.

Safe travels.

Oh I'll be on the forum. Broadband is a wonderful thing. I actually still find it hard to believe (Gen X though I am) that I can just carry a laptop and I can access the forum, email, etc wherever I am. So the next time I log on I might be in Canada or the US or whatever. I still remember dial-up and when hotels charged stupid amounts for access.

When I pulled the pin with work overseas last July and returned back to Oz, it was an amazing feeling. I couldn't help singing to myself Ïma leavin' on a jet plane"....and it felt so right.

Left behind a rather tired bunch of American men aged between 55 and 64 who all desparately still needed their jobs, despite having been ex-pats on massive incomes for 30, 35 and in big Jim's case 42 years. When I eventually felt comfortable telling them what I had going back home that allowed me to quit, they all became strangely quiet.....not something seen too often with a room of red blooded go get ém Yankees.

Anyway, enjoy your adventures, and if you ever swing through Perth, givvus a hoy and we'll catch up for a wee chinwag.

I honestly think most people don't succeed financially (regardless of salaries) because they just don't think enough about it. They get so caught up with the day to day stuff (even if it's just drinking at the pub) that they simply don't have time left to think about the big picture. That's why I really enjoy these long trips: I often find myself just sitting in a coffee shop reading and scribbling random notes. The notes don't necessarily go anywhere, but writing notes sharpens my thinking, and I build on that knowledge. Also, not having to go to work, etc frees up more of my brain to plan for the future.

I'm starting to hit an age when things are getting more serious. A few female friends have complained to me that their boyfriends/husbands just aren't planning for the future. I never used to hear that when we were in our 20s!
Alex

THIS is the sort of thing that becomes possible with some decent money management. THIS is what all the saving, reading, dealing with agents, paperwork and accountants creates. CHOICES. I can choose to quit my job, just drop everything and take some time off, knowing that even though I'll be spending savings and not earning a salary during this time, my shares and property are making money for me.

Well done Alex.

I just wanted to make a comment about your quote above. My wife and I did a 3 month European holiday in our late 20's. We just quit our jobs and went. But I have to disagree that you have to have an investment portfolio behind you to give you choices. We can always make a choice to do or not do something. You don't need money behind you to do that (although the options available to you may be different).

Have fun.

John.

Enjoy the break Alex and we look forward to finally meeting you in July here in Sydney :)

Perhaps you could be our next guest speaker at SIG and regale us with your tales of being a Londoner? :)

I just wanted to make a comment about your quote above. My wife and I did a 3 month European holiday in our late 20's. We just quit our jobs and went. But I have to disagree that you have to have an investment portfolio behind you to give you choices. We can always make a choice to do or not do something. You don't need money behind you to do that (although the options available to you may be different).

True, of course you can still take time off even without an investment portfolio as long as you have the savings. With more money, you can stay in better hotels and so on, but that's just semantics. What is NOT semantics is that with an existing portfolio my assets are still increasing while I am on holidays. My point is only that if you, say, travel 3 months when you don't have investments, it's costing you a lot more because the travel money could have bought your first IP. With an existing portfolio, the future cost is much less.
Alex

Congrats Alex - good work!

Enjoy your holiday and thanks for sharing the tips regarding the timings on going back to Australia :)

Back