I'm Not Normal

I realised, probably for the first time, just how my thinking differs to others. I went to a Focus Group for a Market Research Company just the other day. The sort of thing where you all sit around the table and give your opinions. As I entered I had to get my name badge from the list, I noticed that there were tags next to each person. They had this on a separate piece of paper and I don't think anyone was supposed to see it, but I did.

There were various tags, "just starting out" "immenent retirement" as well as a few others that I can't recall. There were several people with each tag, but only one for mine "high net worth" The topic was finance.

The first thing they asked us as a group was "As you are getting older, and gearing up for retirement, what are you doing, or preparing to do?

As they asked everyone around the room what their focus was, the usual replies were "Get out of debt" "Help out the kids" etc. Until it was my turn to speak. "Get more debt"

Of course, all mouths dropped open and stared at me. I didn't want to be the centre of attention, that wasn't what I was there for. So I simply said that I wanted to buy another home before I retired.

The presenter slowly directed the questions towards super. Again, everyone had plenty and were concerned about how they had performed. I, alone, had next to nothing - around $2.5k. Of course, Hubby has some, but it is nothing really as he has only re-joined the workforce for around the last 10 years. Prior to that we were self employed.

Everyone asked me how I could be so at ease with the fact that I would have nothing much to retire on. Again, I didn't want to give too much away.

They spoke about the various plans that you can have with the Company that they were promoting as they all said that they didn't see the need for an agressive fund. Apparently nobody in their right mind would use that option. Of course, I piped up that that was exactly the option I would put my measly amount into. I might as well gamble that it would make enough returns to at least match the fees.

I can't recall what a lot of the questions were. They went in one ear and out the other. I remember that for each and every option my opinion alone was different to every single person in the room. Much of the time, I didn't say anything, or just nodded agreement, so that I would not have to justify my answers.

That's when it dawned on me. I'm just not normal.

Normal is boring and average.

I've never really run with the crowd, and never really cared much. If you do your own thing, and get good at being yourself, I think you'll ultimately end up far happier than those who run with the crowd.

I think sometimes it irritates others when I don't care what they think. I don't really care about this either.

I'm with you Skater, I'd never like to be 'normal' in the financial context you're talking about above. I'll stick with my ideas thanks, let everyone else retire on their super with one paid off house.

Hi Skater, I would not use the word "normal", I think ordinary is better. You are not ordinary, you are extraordinary. I think that's a pretty good thing to be. Good on you!

God I don't ever want to be normal. Not when i already hold the belief that 90% of the worlds population are just plain stupid. But then that might be my ego talking :D

I think you'd have to apply normal as a qualifier for the type of person you are.

In this case, as investors,we'd not be considered normal since most people think of shares as investment. As house owners we'd definitely not be normal since most house owners have only one, and live in it. As ordinary day to day activity type people most of us would be normal.

I never fit in any of the focus group boxes either.

But yes, we are all individuals. (We are all individuals).

LOL - I just remembered that I'm not even normal enough to sit on a jury. Apparently, people with too much legal education don't make good jurists, as compared to the average 'normal' person. :) And I actually wanted to do it, 'cause I thought it might be fun!

i was invited to one of those not long ago - although i didn't see my "tag".

i was the same - contradictory to everyone out there. there were people i just couldn't help but stare at, as they shocked me with their financial illiteracy.

Who wants to be normal Skater?

The normal person will retire on the pension, etc etc etc.

So much better to be abnormal me thinks.

Regards
Marty

YES! i know, i know, Iknow, i am sure the head of the st george commercial bank thinks i am insane too! so as i have said in another post i realy wonder what whistles through the minds of normal every day folk, on weekends , for me its houses , extensions, buisiness contra's ,yada, yada, i know i realy do think different from others , Gee skater we could talk and wine and dine for days, :D

Super is a beautiful structure.

For some, for now and until they change the rules.... again!

The lack of financial literacy I see around me is an indictment on our education system. I don't mean that everyone should choose to invest - they can choose to be poor and live for the present if they wish. I mean people should at least know the basics of the time value of money, spending less than they earn, credit card vs investment debt, assets vs doodads etc. etc. Financial literacy is one of the most important life skills for an adult in our society.

The fact that so many people draw a complete blank on these very basic concepts is just appalling.

Back