I'm Not Normal

i believe that " The Richest Man in Babbylon " should be a compulseery SPELL! read for all year 10, and 12 school leavers,

hope you got paid well - and the sandwiches were yummy!

yes - i just don't talk about investing, real estate, development etc except to a very small group of friends. the average person doesn't have the ability to understand what i'm talking about.

hope you got paid well - and the sandwiches were yummy!

yes - i just don't talk about investing, real estate, development etc except to a very small group of friends. the average person doesn't have the ability to understand what i'm talking about.

LOL! $120 to sit and listen to this for 2 hours as well as being fed some yummy sandwiches & drinks.

Would I do it again? Yep!

Hi Skater

I have been thinking a lot about this of late.

What saddens me is that we feel the need to hide our success as if it were something to be ashamed of. We may not be ordinary but we are okay.

I am trying to be more open. Not with any agenda in terms of educating others etc but just "owning" what I am. I feel that the hiding is making me less authentic and that is the last thing I want of myself.

I am discovering that my new found transparency is allowing me to make connections with people who otherwise regarded me as "normal" and hence not that interesting to talk to. These people are not necessarily investors but have just chosen their own path in life and are proud of their choices regardless of how others might feel.

I would like to go to one of those nights. It might be amusing to speak my mind.

Goanna , why ???? hold your head high, no! higher, and straighten your back ! Yep thats just how you should be about what you have done, what? you would be about 1 in 100,000 folks who actually did it! so show it ....;)

Yep ;) I have exactly $0 of super, have never ever ever been PAYE and that's just the way I like it.

I have more super! :eek:

I am discovering that my new found transparency is allowing me to make connections with people who otherwise regarded me as "normal" and hence not that interesting to talk to. These people are not necessarily investors but have just chosen their own path in life and are proud of their choices regardless of how others might feel.

I know the feeling, not telling people, i'm seen as a normal teen, although i recently told a friend of the forum and she looked at me like i was mad..
It was quite funny to watch her reaction, i told another one the other day, although she said, you're such a nerd! and etc...

That's when it dawned on me. I'm just not normal.

Just being here puts you in that category to an extent.

Almost no-one I know is on this site (my SIL drops in from time to time, but only since she arrived at the same wavelength as my wife and I).

Therefore, we - you are a very small group, and by that it means we are not the norm.

But isn't it great? ;)

As they asked everyone around the room what their focus was, the usual replies were "Get out of debt" "Help out the kids" etc. Until it was my turn to speak. "Get more debt"

My jaw would have dropped too.

I used debt to get where I am today, lots of it, but I could not wait to get the banks of my back. Being free of debt gives me choices that others who I see as bonded to the banks will spend the rest of their lives only dreaming of.

I guess that makes me "normal", but just like you, I sure don't feel like it. :)

Cheers,
Beef.

i believe that " The Richest Man in Babbylon " should be a compulseery SPELL! read for all year 10, and 12 school leavers,

Agreed. My 14 yr old had to read it before she got her mobile phone, and now the 12 yr old knows its her turn before she gets hers. The oldest has never spent more than $10 per month on that mobile for the last two years - so I guess she is different to most teens :)
Dont worry Debbie , you and Andrew are quite similar in your attitudes to money as my wife and myself are. Yes in this world its out of place - but would you have it any other way??!!

Super shouldn't be knocked - since they changed the laws in Sep 07 to allow a SMSF to borrow to buy property. I am currently searching for my next property in that structure , the 1st one I bought in Aug 08 is now worth around 15 to 20% more :D

Super shouldn't be knocked - since they changed the laws in Sep 07 to allow a SMSF to borrow to buy property. I am currently searching for my next property in that structure , the 1st one I bought in Aug 08 is now worth around 15 to 20% more :D

I wouldn't knock it, if I had enough to buy a property in it. But I don't!

Agreed. My 14 yr old had to read it before she got her mobile phone, and now the 12 yr old knows its her turn before she gets hers. The oldest has never spent more than $10 per month on that mobile for the last two years - so I guess she is different to most teens :)
Dont worry Debbie , you and Andrew are quite similar in your attitudes to money as my wife and myself are. Yes in this world its out of place - but would you have it any other way??!!

thats so good to here , and i have now placed a mental note to do the same the day my sweets asks for phone/car etc, thanks

I guess, none of us are "normal"
Why does this remind me of Life Of Brian? :D

(Crowd chorus) "Yes, we are all individuals."
(Lone voice from the back) "I'm not!"

I'm not "normal" either. I'm a male living in Australia who can't stand football, cricket or golf, rarely drinks (alcohol), thinks of a car as just a tool that gets me from place A to B, and gets bored to death with most typical conversations around the coffee machine (which are invariably about sport or the weather anyway).

And in relation to The Richest Man in Babylon, a useful primer for someone with no investing mindset at all, but I think a tedious book to read. I couldn't be bothered finishing it, and it's only a very small book!

GP

I'm not "normal" either. I'm a male living in Australia who can't stand football, cricket or golf, rarely drinks (alcohol), thinks of a car as just a tool that gets me from place A to B, and gets bored to death with most typical conversations around the coffee machine (which are invariably about sport or the weather anyway).

GP

You sound just like my husband. He has similar qualities.

So where was this book when i got my mobile..?!?!

Something tells me i should've read it sometime this month, $300 and something phone bill, working my butt to pay that one off now..:mad:

The secrets of this earth are not for all men to see, but only for those who will seek them.:)

~ Ayn Rand

I am an individual too Skater. It's fun.

GP

Sounds like we are in no way alike (although I agree about the car...), I don't even drink coffee so not sure what get's discussed around the coffee machine.

But I agree with you about the book, I got about two thirds through it and felt like I was 15 again, and had to put it down. It's all good I'm sure, but with a diploma in financial planning and mortgage broking, and (only...) a decade of buying and selling (dammit! no more selling!) IP's, I didn't think I was learning too much.

And in relation to The Richest Man in Babylon, a useful primer for someone with no investing mindset at all, but I think a tedious book to read. I couldn't be bothered finishing it, and it's only a very small book!

GP

Back