Impartial Information

There's a lot of property information out there from many bodies with inherent self interest which gives rise to a certain amount of bias. So I put it to you Somersoft, What are your favourite resources for unbiased formation?

Unbiased:
Government departments like the ABS where we get all the census data from.
Council websites where they put up all their proposed infrastructure plans.

Other than that IMO there are no sources of un-biased information. You just have to read the info from them, knowing that they have an inherent bias and make allowances for that.
Bodies such as the Real Estate Institutes, HIA, MBA, etc.

There's a lot of property information out there from many bodies with inherent self interest which gives rise to a certain amount of bias. So I put it to you Somersoft, What are your favourite resources for unbiased formation?
Propertunity is correct about the bias, it's always there.. always.. you need to be able to adjust and filter. Even data samples can be subject to bias.

I think one possible solution is to say the study of history. If you remove yourself from the noise and immediate nature of information and read a lot of history regarding investing and just history in general it really helps develop your filters.

I enjoy my research, property investing included.

When I first grasped the concept of building wealth through investing in property I read widely, picked some areas I was familiar with, (over time had spent part-of-my-life-at-places), attended open for inspections, auctions, visited the neighborhoods at different days and times, read up the local papers, local government sites, talked to a varied number of people, fellow investors, the people that live there, just tried to soak up as much information and observation as possible. So....I would say my greatest resource is a preparedness of mind to learn, not to necessarily accept all as divine truth, to discover and educate my own mind..

"Learning how to think" really means learning how to exercise some control over how and what you think.
It means being conscious and aware enough to choose what you pay attention to and to choose how you construct meaning from experience.
Because if you cannot or will not exercise this kind of choice in adult life, you will be totally hosed."

- David Foster Wallace

And it is fun.

I think all information is an accurate reflection of the providers motives. If I don't understand the providers motives I try to find out, or I don't trust the information.

Immanuel Kant as I recall wrote a few good books on this sort of problem a couple of hundred years ago. In the end it all seemed to boil down to informed individual judgement. Don't know if that helps?

Immanuel Kant as I recall wrote a few good books on this sort of problem a couple of hundred years ago. In the end it all seemed to boil down to informed individual judgement. Don't know if that helps?

But he was a real pissant who was very rarely stable...

Rigorous data and analysis? Unbiased advice that can be relied upon completely? Reliable information upon which to build riches?

Easy.

The Daily Telegraph.

I dont believe there is such a thing as information without some from of bias or string.

A good example is that in my mortgage biz, I dont deal with all the lenders in Australia............and will usually ( but not always) recommend loans and structures around the lenders on my panel. For 2 reasons, clients generally dont like fee for service so we need to make a living from disclosed comms and for sensible and legislative reasons its not possible to work effectively with every lender where the majority of your scenarios are "complex"

This is why even an independent ( not allied to a lender of franchise chain) broker isnt able to put hand on heart and claim distance on the non bias bit, and the "conflict of interest" is declared early on.

ta
rolf

Legwork and recent sales history of similar properties in immediate area.

Back