In 5 years time

Hey guys,

I'm considering a 300K purchase in Blacktown (Western Sydney), a 3 bedder house. With all the crazy talk of the FHOG and FHBs jumping in going nuts, and the unemployment/financial crisis/crazy low interest rates... Where does everyone see this market being in 5 years time? Like a %, so if the 300K would be to jump 30K in those 5 years then 10%.

This might be impossible to tell (%), but I'm just looking for some advice.

I'm trying to gauge whether I should get in while studying (for 5 years) or wait and save my money till I finish studying and get a good job and buy a good house, not 300K :)

Cheers,
Chris

Chris

If it was me, I'd finish my studies and then buy a property.

Properties shouldn't take off as such but after next month,
many properties in blacktown will be cashflow neutral or cashflow +ve so we don't know what will happen to property prices there.

If you don't want to miss out on the FHOG why don't you buy something cheap so that you won't be out of pocket by much and hopefully with the FHOG and your deposit it will be positive geared.

You could also fix your loan for 5 years while you study.

cheers

Thanks Ziggy,

The main problems I'm having is all these renters jumping on the FHOG, then when unemployment goes up, interest rates rise to normal levels and if the FHOG drops back down then the market will have a mini crash and my property that I paid maybe 300K for will drop to 250ish. Its such a risk??

I know these are all short term problems and I know about long term and how it will sort out these short term fluctuations but I wouldn't call 5 years long term...

Chris

Property prices aren't going anywhere in a meaningful way until this mess gets sorted out. So far as I can tell that's going to be early 2010 at the earliest (not late 2009). I would keep saving and reevaulate in a years time. The FHOG is a short term stimulus - low end properties will fall back when the stimulus is removed.

I think were going to see some movement in prices mid to late this year and very latest next year and a swift jump in 2011 within the 'general' capital city market just personally.

Thanks guys,

Yes it is a good idea to get a property after the FHOG is gone as the demand will drop alot, resulting in lower prices. The only reason I would jump in now with the FHOG is that the FHOG would help with my deposit but later this year I should be able to cope without the extra 7K.

I'm just thinking when will the stimulus be removed. When it came in it had the June 30 deadline, people were jumping in and I hear that they still are, though the consensus is that the FHOG will be extended past the June 30 cutoff.

I guess the time to jump back in is when they drop the FHOG back down to 7K and when interest rates start to increase. Low rates are good for cashflow, but the government is lowering them to try to save property prices, so if interest rates start to trend back up then they have faith in the market.

What do you guys thinks of this??

Also, in 5 years time I would be looking at selling the property to get the proceeds as a deposit on a PPOR in Coogee. I couldn't keep the property as I would not be able to purchase my PPOR. Though I would not use it as a PPOR, I would rent it out and rent nearby for a few years to chop the mortgage down, then move in and start a family in the more secure environment of a PPOR. Hmmm, I rambled on a bit :)

Cheers,
Chris

Hi Sharpstone

I just wanted to check whether you are aware that in NSW you can get up to $24,000 in FHOG?

For a new property or h/l package the Federal govt will give you $21,000 and there is another $3,000 from the State govt. So if you wait you could miss out on $17,000 assuming the $7k grant is still there later and what if property values go up instead of down - double whammy!

There are several posts springing up on the site now from people who are witnessing a lot of activity in the marketplace and if it does keep up prices won't fall, maybe you could try some lowball offers now and see what happens.

Hi Sharpstones, if you reread your last post, you might find a number of inconsistent or maybe assumptions that may or may not become fact.

FHG ends, demand falls. Is that established fact? I'd call it at best an educated guess. Do you know for a fact that FH buyers can impact on or control demand and supply?

You're 'thinking' a lot. Should more of that thinking be applied to your own inherent position rather than to externals? Trying to outguess what the property market is going to be like in 5 years is trying to make assumptions on factors outside your control.

Inherent factors are stuff like how much will you be able to pay every week, what rent are you currently paying, how much will your target house cost. Then you can CONTROL what you're doing.

Hope what I've said makes sense.
KY

Sharpstone: You are gambling with more money than you can afford or, because of your youth, you need to.

I know it's hard to be patient but I wish like hell that I could take a fews years off to study and see what the world looked like then. I believe you are in an enviable position. Stay cool.... The world will still be there later.

Thanks guys,

sparky: I understand about the extra FHOG on top of the 14K, but I wouldn't be able to afford the newer properties. I like the idea of low-ball offers, depending on the response it will tell me how the market is going.
Thanks.

Chris

If I were you I would wait..

So what if you loose on FHOG? If prices will go down you might save way more than 14-21k.. Did I say 'way more'? :D

Be patient.

If I were you I would wait..

So what if you loose on FHOG? If prices will go down you might save way more than 14-21k.. Did I say 'way more'? :D

Be patient.

Hmm, its such a tough decision for me. Is this FHB frenzy going to push prices up over 2009 or will the financial crisis drop prices despite the FHOG efforts??? A question I guess no one can answer except in hindsight.
Though I know that I need to get in before interest rates increase as that will hurt my affordability for getting the loan, though with rates where they are and where they will be soon I shouldn't worry too much yet.

Any other thoughts guys??

Chris

Hmm, its such a tough decision for me. Is this FHB frenzy going to push prices up over 2009 or will the financial crisis drop prices despite the FHOG efforts??? A question I guess no one can answer except in hindsight.
Though I know that I need to get in before interest rates increase as that will hurt my affordability for getting the loan, though with rates where they are and where they will be soon I shouldn't worry too much yet.

Any other thoughts guys??

Chris

If you can afford to buy a property now then buy one and lock in a nice low fixed rate when one comes along. Ideally the prices will go up sooner rather than later but if they don't guess what - they will go up later! Plenty of good buys around now but who is to say later?

My guess is that interest rates will fall further, so if you can lock in at the bottom, you'd be doing well. I say you finish uni first. Unfortunately rising unemployment from the economic crisis will hit younger people harder. Employment needs to be safe before you can borrow money.

I watched Blacktown( and Mt Druitt ) during the last cycle.

While Inner Sydney moved up around 50 % , the outer west went sideways for the same period . There were many articles I saw in late 90's early 2000 along the lines of why invest there because prices don't go up . Subsequentally it all caught up butt it was the last place to move in Sydney .

Well they did , but only after the boom was well and truly established in other places in Sydney.

I'm not convinced that the FHOG is enough to change this pattern.

Blacktown has no features that suggest it will out perform or change it's underlying demographic pattern . It's in the middle of the outer western suburbs .

It's not on the water like Frankston , or relatively centrally located like Logan ( though I won't be holding my breath for logan to change ).

You are getting relatively good rental returns compared with Logan , but I think that's more that Logan is out of kilter so something will come back there , either the rents or prices or possibly both. From our experience you need a 10 % return to break even on the type of property you'd buy for 300 in Blacktown.

I will happily buy in Blacktown or Mt Druitt at some stage in the cycle but now is too early for me .

Job losses in Oz have mainly been in the upper end of the market and that is leading to occasional bargains in that market. There are still enough people cashed up to pick those up .

Overseas we're seeing job losses in the lower levels and it's only a matter of time before that starts filtering through in Australia . When that happens there will be many more highly motivated vendors in places further out west , and I'd have a guess that , relative to the more affluent areas there won't be as many cashed up buyers in these areas ( though there will be some ) so the bargains may be more obvious .

In the last cycle there were , even to some one like me ,( who at the time was only a casual observer and not an active participant Some moron of a financial advisor told me to pay my PPOR of before I bought IP's ... Took a few years to realise how wrong he was .). I saw houses sell for 60 K in Mt Druitt in late 90's which would have sold for 100k at the peak of the preceeding boom and were selling for 240 a few years later. They were down to 180 a while ago ( havn't checked recently ) .

There certainly seems to be more doom and gloom this time around than in the last recession , so personally I wouldn't be suprised to see prices of entry levels houses in Mt Druitt reach down to 120 -150 mark. ( I quote Mt Druitt because I'm more familiar with it , but Blacktown follows the same trend )

The one area which we've been watching and just bought in is the 1-2 bedder market in Lower north shore , which seems to be quite strong at the moment , based on our observations . There was an article last week ? Fin review , which also reported strength in that market , specifically mentioning Wollstonecraft . While most of these are over 300K , there are some complexes where studios are selling for less than 300K . We're not personally intersted in that market as we have a different strategy in the current market , but if that was my budget <i'd be looking at centrally located units in Sydney , Lower North shore , Lower northern beaches up to Deewhy ( though Manly preferred ) , inner city ..> eastern suburbs and possibly inner west. I'd expect these to be moving up within the next five years ( but there's no guarantees , so make sure you buy a bargain)

Cliff

Well they did , but only after the boom was well and truly established in other places in Sydney.

I will happily buy in Blacktown or Mt Druitt at some stage in the cycle but now is too early for me .

There certainly seems to be more doom and gloom this time around than in the last recession , so personally I wouldn't be suprised to see prices of entry levels houses in Mt Druitt reach down to 120 -150 mark. ( I quote Mt Druitt because I'm more familiar with it , but Blacktown follows the same trend )

I don't follow the Sydney market, but agree with your logic, and the "ripple effect" starting from the inner suburbs.

Scarily, there's a few here on SS who've recently already bought up big in the west, it seems...reverse timing lords...hope they read your post!

Unfortunately rising unemployment from the economic crisis will hit younger people harder.

Not necessarily, the only people I've seen go at my work are upper management because they get paid 3, 4 or more times the amount an ordinary person gets.

Remember that many of our companies are already running with nearly zero fat so the only people they can afford to let go (without stopping their operations) are managers

Seech, you make some very good points about the area, and I agree that things aren't going to "boom" for some time, however I do disagree that prices will get that low.

As a local, I see a huge amount of investor activity in this market. Prices have started to move upwards, not downwards (admittedly not by much).

What the area has this time around, are a few investor groups, ie property secrets etc, who are keeping the market moving. In saying this, those properties that do not fit their criterior can come at an extremely good price. There are not many entry level homes around for under $200k, although if you bargain hard, or know where to look, they are out there. I agree that the area will not have a large growth until things start moving towards the centre of Sydney, but I still think the area is good value for someone with limited funds or chasing a better cashflow.

but I still think the area is good value for someone with limited funds or chasing a better cashflow.

Skater hits the nail on the head ... apart from this i would like to add

- Flow on from the high immigration, due partly to a labour shortage, will have a direct relation to the demand in property in the western suburbs. This equation means that given a certain amount of time these new australians will be purchasing property & i can bet my bottom dollar where this will be

- The shortage of housing and red tape to dense development, means the urbanisation of a sparce area (sydney basin). Where can you buy a house and land in the world for 200k in a countries most major city - there is no telling that these areas will gentrify as the generations continue and this will add to the fundamentals of the western suburbs.

At the end of the day I think western suburbs purchases are a certain style of investing, different to chasing well located property inland. But with the great cashflow (next to nothing in holding costs) I think the strategy holds it own - especially long term & especially if its houses with land rather then units.

Back