Independant building inspector Melb West

Hi everyone,

The construction of my IP in Tarneit has started, and I was wondering if anyone here can recommend a good independent building inspector I can use to inspect at each stage of the construction?

many thanks in advance.

hey youngstarter,

Are you wanting the inspections done for your own piece of mind? Presumably you are using a bank who will conduct progress inspections at each stage of the construction on your behalf.

hey youngstarter,

Are you wanting the inspections done for your own piece of mind? Presumably you are using a bank who will conduct progress inspections at each stage of the construction on your behalf.

That's true if he has a construction loan. But even then, the bank will appoint a QS to only check things from a bank's perspective. That is, has the slab been put down? Has the timber frame been put up etc. The QS won't look into the finer details about whether the builder has complied with the BCA - or whether the finishes or inclusions that were meant to be included have actually been put in or not. Also subtle things like plastering etc.

hey youngstarter,

That is not my experience with both Homeside and AMP for construction loans. They rely on you the borrower to ensure that the work is completed satisfactorily and you provide them simply with the relevant paperwork.

Valuations are undertaken once before the construction starts or at first payment and again at the final payment stage.

Depending on your contract, you have 'x' amount of days to pay the progress payment or you will have penalty interest charged. So you need to ensure that the inspector is ready to do his/her inspection and provide report expeditiously.

Thanks everyone for your kind responses.

I was under the impression that banks would not do progress inspections.

I guess its more for a peace of mind as mentioned by Nat_Melb. I've heard stories about homes that are completed but because of some oversight there is leakage and things like that.

Having an independant bldg inspector would also ensure the job is done right and to the national standards.

Would your suggestion be to inspect every stage of the construction, or is there a some stages that are more important than others?

@sash, thanks for the recommendation. will check them out.

We are building a house in Williams Landing area starting soon. Do you have any positive-negative experience with the building inspector you ended up going with & any other useful information through your experience. I would be grateful if you provide the information. Private Message is fine as well.

Thanks.

Back