Independant Property Seminars

I have been to a few property seminars lately and whilst they have been very informative, they have been run by either buyer's advocates, real estate agents and/or property advisors. One thing they all have in common is that it is in their interest to talk up the market.

Just wondering if anyone knows of any seminars/lectures/etc that are held by independent parties, eg economists or something similar?

Thanks

Hello Jackbak,
Is a mortgage broker independent? If so I run seminars in Darwin on a regular basis and can do one over web conferencing if so desired.

I know that some of the claims made at property seminars are some what ridiculous and I am always annoyed when they rush so fast that questions are not welcomed as the event goes along.

For example recently the presenter told the fixated audience that Australia was short homes for 180,000 people (a quote that is bandied about a bit), I couldn't resist darting in while the speaker stopped for a breath "just where are all those people?" the answer was living with mum and dad, maybe.

The presenters of that round of seminars emailed me today they are doing twenty cities and towns in the near future but Darwin is off the list ...

It seems to me every seminar hits the known topics in some form, presents some statistics (fresh, warped or what ever) and then attempts to plant the seed in the audiences mind.

It is the audience's self defense mechanisms that need to be up, some of the ideas are great, but the problem is great for who?

I guess the bottom line for me is that as a property investor the idea seems like a good idea and sharing that with others is fun and possibly can supplement my income.

Cheers

I have been to a few property seminars lately and whilst they have been very informative, they have been run by either buyer's advocates, real estate agents and/or property advisors. One thing they all have in common is that it is in their interest to talk up the market.

Just wondering if anyone knows of any seminars/lectures/etc that are held by independent parties, eg economists or something similar?

Thanks

Hi Jack

What specifically are you after ?

data

information

How to

ta
rolf

Thanks

Steve Keen?

The mob from money morning?

It would balance out the positive's from your other seminars, but it may also scare you off property for life

Difficult to find purely independent resources, each of the people presenting info, come from a particular mindset.

Ie in vic, reiv do a monthly overview but this will obviously be pointed towards prop.

Thanks
Everybody will have to come from somewhere, even pure numbers can be open to interpretation. I trust economists as much as I do real estate agents to deliver accurate forecasting opinion :)

If you can be clear on the vested interest and motivation of an information source it will be helpful in filtering for bias, then you are able to extract whatever useful actionable knowledge you can.

I would vote for the HTW monthly reviews as the best broad brush general market updates I know of, excellent resource.

Thanks

The Banker and the Frog

A banker was walking in the park one day when she noticed a large frog sitting along the side of the pond.

As she was walking by, the frog suddenly piped up and said, “Excuse me…but…ummm… would you happen to be a banker?”

The banker responded, “Why yes, I am a banker. Why do you ask?”

“Well,” says the frog, “I was a forecasting economist, and my forecasts didn’t turn out so well. The CEO I worked for put a spell on me and turned me into a frog. The spell can be broken if a banker will kiss me. Then I can return to being a forecasting economist.”

The banker paused for a moment, then reached out, picked up the frog, put him in her purse, and began walking along.

After a few minutes the frog piped up, “Hey, what are you doing? If you will just give me a kiss I can walk along on my own and you won’t have to carry me.”

The banker stopped, looked down at the frog, and said “True… but you’re worth a lot more to me as a talking frog than as a forecasting economist.”

Back