Indian Call Centres

I found this line interesting :rolleyes:

"The staff of these [Western] companies have strong unions within, so we find there is no reason why they can't follow their same charters in India," Mr Shetty said.

If the unions in these companies are so strong, how come the jobs got outsourced in the first place? :confused:

Regards

Andrew

I think this sort of thing is pretty disappointing. I don't think service levels are up to Australian standards, but I recognise the industry is moving hundreds of thousands of people out of poverty. It's a good thing.

Here is a current joke re your topic...don't venture further if you may be offended by some mild racial stereotyping.

(You have to say it to yourself with the right accent);)

Mujibar was trying to get a job for Telstra in their Indian call centre.

The Australian recruiting officer said, "Mujibar, you have passed all the tests, except one. Unless you pass it you cannot work in this call centre."

Mujibar said, "I am ready."

The officer said, "Make a sentence using the words Yellow, Pink and
Green."

Mujibar thought for a few minutes and said, "Mister Officer, I am being
ready."

The Officer said, "Go ahead."

Mujibar said, "The telephone goes, 'green, green, green, green' and I
pink it up, and say, 'Yellow, this is Mujibar.'"

Mujibar now works in the Telstra call centre, perhaps you have spoken to him?

:p :p

GarryK

I heard that staff in an Indian call centre cost $6,000 AU per head per year as opposed to local labor of $35,000 AU per year.

I can see why they are doing it, but it shits me too !!

Two signs you might be talking to an offshore call centre (both happened recently)

1. You call your ISP support at 11PM- and they say "good afternoon".
2. You tell them you're in Canberra, and they ask you what state that's in.

hiflo said:
I sometimes like people who are based overseas as they seem more friendly....

I actually agree with you on that one... I seem to get some pretty abrupt sounding "local" accents.....

Cheers,

The Y-man

i just hate how they call constantly ... i cannot recall the number of times i have asked xxx phone company to be taken off their books. i still get called 3-4 times a week so just say "not interested" and hang up as soon as i realise who they are.

lizzie said:
i just hate how they call constantly ... i cannot recall the number of times i have asked xxx phone company to be taken off their books. i still get called 3-4 times a week so just say "not interested" and hang up as soon as i realise who they are.

Have a bit of fun. I like to pick up, and not say a word. Just listen, and don't make a sound. :)

I know someone who did better...

The call centre rang a workplace, and they pretended that they had called a crime scene. "Sorry sir, do you know you have called a crime scene. We will require your details for questioning".

Meanwhile, others in the background were going along with it, shouting things like, "Be careful with that. I don't want it ruined before it gets to the coroner's".

To cut a long story short, they managed to get the caller's name, even managed to get them spell it out! But when they asked for the call centre's contact number, the caller hung up. :)

My kids crack up when I quickly shout out that a dingo is getting one of the platypuses and I got to run. Or that the kangaroos are jumping over the fence again etc

I keep trying for a decent curry recipe but no luck as yet.

I am with Lizzie on that telco - Southern Cross rings me weekly and each time promises noone will ever call again. At least they are nice

Australians from Telstra also ring me weekly to advise I am a priority customer to win back and they can be really really rude when I complain about it.

As a guy who works from home I get heaps and it is really annoying. Today I had an Indian guy just asking for my fax number for an exciting offer. Wouldn't tell me what and no way I want to get onto a fax junk mail list. I get enough crap from Dell on my fax machine as it is.

Another early warning sign...

This makes me react extremely negatively as soon as it comes. After the intro...

"And how are you this morning" (or afternoon or evening). It appears to be a part of an almost universal script, and a sign that it's a telemarketer.

I'm getting used to the telcos, but it was an electricity company tonight.

gotta be careful tho. i almost hung up on an indian sounding caller the other month with my "not interested" thinking it was another telemarketer. luckily i had listened a bit more carefully and realised that he was from my bank warning there had been an unauthorised attempt to charge my credit card from overseas.

My boss got telemarketing call from an Indian sounding chap the other day... he chatted to him, then asked which country he was in. A rather bemused fellow said 'Brisbane'.:D

Lindy

We've had a silent number for quite a few years and it's wonderful!!!!! We NEVER get telemarketers.

Unless you're in your own business and need to have your number in the phone book, why not consider it? We give our number out to family and friends but anyone else that wants me calls me on my mobile.

Cheers

Sultan of Swing said:
We've had a silent number for quite a few years and it's wonderful!!!!! We NEVER get telemarketers.

Unless you're in your own business and need to have your number in the phone book, why not consider it? We give our number out to family and friends but anyone else that wants me calls me on my mobile.

Cheers

Yes, we've got a silent number also. It's great!

For memory they cost either $6 or $3 per month. :)

TwoPlus said:
I asked which country he was in. A rather bemused fellow said 'Brisbane'.:D

Well, it is a whole nuther country up here.

No eye deer where "Canberra" is, though...

asy :D

Sultan of Swing said:
But then there are the times when I get a call from a colleague- "There's a great prgram on xxx at the moment that you might be interested in". I've appreciated those, because I don't keep much of an eye on the TV program.

Or the letter I received some years back, from a family in the US I was very close to (I was an exchange student in their house for some months)- but I hadn't kept in touch. I was in a share house so did not have a listed number. The letter told me that they had been in Sydney but couldn't find me.

And then there was somebody else from the same exchange visit. 25 years after I was over there, he was in Australia- and found me by going to me home town (Shepparton) and calling all Whitfields in the directory (my parents are there, though I was in Canberra by then).

Telemarketers hate me, particularly the ones who call back after promising they had taken my name off their list and will never call me again.

I have no time for these people. My strategy is to simply interrupt their speil, saying, "could you just hold on for a sec?", put the phone down (ie down on the table, but don't hang up), and go about whatever it was I was doing before.

When I eventually return to the phone 10, 15 minutes, or half an hour later, they are no longer around, and guess what, I don't get another call back!! :D

Edited to say: I got this way because of one too many unsolicited phone calls that woke up my baby daughter after spending eternity trying to get her to sleep!!!

Back