Installation of Foxtel

Have just had a request through my property manager regarding the installation of Foxtel on a rental home I have in Canberra. The tennants are 4 months into a 12 month lease.

Have any of you guys had similar requests? I'd be interested to know your thoughts.

Not being a big TV watcher I'm not sure of details. Do the tennants take the dish with them when they go. Do I want them to? Does this make the property more attractive to future tennants?

Any advice gratefully received.
Merry Christmas to all,

Wheels

To me, this should be the tenant's problem. If a tenant wanted ADSL broadband Internet, they'd have to pay for it, including set up, modem, etc. Why would Foxtel be any different? If the tenants move out, they can relocate the Foxtel account and equipment as well.

Foxtel is a bit different to an air-conditioner or hot water service, in my opinion.

I've just had a tenant ask me if I was interested in getting cable (TransAct) installed to the house. Because it's a battleaxe it would cost $2500. There's 3 cottages- I told them that I would, provided that I can raise the rent by $10pw and provided that at least one other tenant also agrees to the rent raise.

On that basis they decided not to go ahead with it.

Hi Wheels
Pay TV dish & Cable installatiuon is at the tenant's expense because it was not offered as part of the initial property deal ( lease ).
Usually the dish is attached to a steel bracket on the facia below the guttering, or on the external wall up high near trhe guttering, ddepends on the construction of the property and the building aspect in relation to the required angle of the dish. Make sure that your approval of the installation is subject to the tenant signing off on new added clauses to the lease that ensure the tenant will repair any damage to the property (leave it as they found it) if they take the dish with them or if Foxtel want to reclaim it. You need to know the outcome before releasing all the bond in the event of the tenant wanting to move out.
Ensure you have all the options.
cheers
crest133

Last year our tenant called our PM and asked if he could pay for Foxtel to be installed. We said absolutely because it will be an added feature if he decides to leave. On top of that we were able to sign him up to a new lease with a $5 increase, so we're pumped about that.

I have friends who always check the places they rent have foxtel. The hubby 1/2 of the couple thinks it is essential so "Foxtel enabled" may be an attractive feature.

Correct me if I am wrong but the only thing that the Landlord should be concerned about is the 'dish' and cable to the interior of the house. After that, any installation aspect is over to the tenant. The ownership of the dish and cable would remain with the landlord.

We recently had a Foxtel card carrying tenant move into our dish equipped IP(left behind when previous tenant moved out), he plugged into the wall socket and had his Foxtel reception up and running.

Hang on a second guys - I was under the impression that Foxtel owned the dish and equipment at all times, and thus if a tennant that installed the service were to leave, and Foxtel is no longer required at the premises, it is at the discretion of Foxtel whether to leave the dish there or not (usually they don't bother taking it back - they leave it 'disconnected'). In fact, I don't even think that whether a dish exists at the premises or not has any bearing on the installation fee for Foxtel (I might be wrong though).

Sincerely,
Mal

I have a plug on my wall that a friend tells me is for Foxtel. so it seems the previous people had Foxtel connected and when they left Foxtel came and got the dish... well I assume since the dish is nowhere to be seen. However, that jumbo wok works a treat gets MTV too!

Mal P
You are CORRECT.
Fox/Austar always own the equipment. They usually just leave it on the roof as it is too much trouble for them to UN INSTALL it.

The only point I was trying to make was that there is dish on the roof that is connected to a room of the IP. A new tenant moved in! He was an existing foxtel client and, prior to making any contact with foxtel, he was able to use his foxtel connection immediately. Ergo, "it is clearly a marginal advantage to have a satellite dish on the roof."

PS anything on my roof is mine! (except the birds...maybe)

wheels said:
Have just had a request through my property manager regarding the installation of Foxtel on a rental home I have in Canberra. The tennants are 4 months into a 12 month lease.

Have any of you guys had similar requests? I'd be interested to know your thoughts.

Not being a big TV watcher I'm not sure of details. Do the tennants take the dish with them when they go. Do I want them to? Does this make the property more attractive to future tennants?

Any advice gratefully received.
Merry Christmas to all,

Wheels

Before moving from Aus one of the many things I did to break even was install satellite dishes
FOXTEL paid $35 to the installer and the standing instructions were "Just bolt it to the roof" bolt it to ceramic tiles, colorbond, aluminium, whatever, because the install contract said any damage was the house holders fault, sign there.......
There was( or is, dunno I live OS) a free to air satellite company in Hawthorn Vic (cant remember the name), that paid a minimum of $150 to the installer because the dish had to be bolted to framing, or to a steel pole that you were required to bed into a concrete footing 1m deep, the perforations to the roof had to be sealed and flashed and they warranted the install for 10 years
at that time both companies charged the customer the same for the install
If there were a 'weather incident' any time I know who's dish I wouldnt want on the roof, and I would be getting up there to make sure its attached to something, just in case.

Back