Installing a dishwasher in a 2 bedroom flat, wil this add value

Gday guys,

Long time reader, first time writer.

I have just recently got the keys for my 2 bedroom flat located in (Essendon). Due to the tenant being in there for nine years, prior to me buying it, it is in desperate need of a reno.

I am planning on gutting the kitchen and installing a flat pack with Stainless steel oven, ceramic cooktop and S/S rangehood and possibly a S/S dishwasher ($750) to compliment the above.

Although the kitchen is a decent size, it's not huge.

I am now tossing up whether installing a S/S dishwasher would be worth the mucking around with power points etc (place is double bricked) and sacrificing of space or whether to can the idea and spend the $$ elsewhere.

My question is, would a diswasher add value to a 2 bedroom flat or is it an unecessary waste of part of a budget?

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Dale

It depends on the area. In some areas it will, in some it won't. In general the more upmarket the area is the more important a dishwasher becomes.

Do you have a rental manager? It might be worth to ask them how much a dishwasher would add in terms of rental income. You can then decide whether it is worth installing a dishwasher.

Cheers,

Gday guys,

I have just recently got the keys for my 2 bedroom flat located in (Essendon). Due to the tenant being in there for nine years, prior to me buying it, it is in desperate need of a reno.

I am planning on gutting the kitchen and installing a flat pack with Stainless steel oven, ceramic cooktop and S/S rangehood and possibly a S/S dishwasher ($750) to compliment the above.

I am now tossing up whether installing a S/S dishwasher would be worth the mucking around with power points etc (place is double bricked) and sacrificing of space or whether to can the idea and spend the $$ elsewhere.

My question is, would a diswasher add value to a 2 bedroom flat or is it an unecessary waste of part of a budget?

Cheers, Dale

what's typical for 2 bedrooms in your area?
Maybe an air-conditioner might be more attractive..........it depends what the market is offering .
an opinion from someone in Tasmania or Darwin , for example isnt to going to give you much help. Also slamming a dishwasher door shut regularly bu un thinking tenenats is a problem just waiting to happen.

Gday guys,

I am planning on gutting the kitchen and installing a flat pack with Stainless steel oven, ceramic cooktop and S/S range hood and possibly a S/S dishwasher ($750) to compliment the above.

Cheers, Dale

what's typical for 2 bedrooms in your area?
Maybe an air-conditioner might be more attractive..........it depends what the market is offering .
an opinion from someone in Tasmania or Darwin , for example isn't to going to give you much help. Also slamming a dishwasher door shut regularly but an thinking tenant is a problem just waiting to happen.

How about just leaving a space for a dishwasher to go but letting the tennant decide if they want to buy the dishwasher to use or if they just want to use the space as a spot for their rubbish bin/vac or something?

Hi,

A property i bought last year had long term tenants and i asked what improvements they would like, and top of their list was a dishwasher.

It cost me $500 for the dishwasher, $220 for the cabinet maker to make space for it and $200 for the plumber to install it. I got a $10 weekly rent increase, but it also kept the tenants happy and added value to the property.

But it's a good idea to ask your PM if it's of value in the specific area.

Gday guys,

Cheers, Dale

Thanks guys, I forgot to mention that I will be moving into shortly (in line with the FHOG requirements) then rent it out thereafter.

All valid points, I think as long as it fits I will go ahead with it, it seems that most renovated units, including 1 bedders have dishwashers so I don't think I can go wrong then. I just thought the money maybe better spent somewhere else.

I also think Rikardo post was good, it will give me a chance to recoup the costs back through rent at a later date. It will also give my property an edge against other properties without one.

Thanks again!

Back