Insurance claim

Hi,

My apartment was affected by the fire and the whole block has been closed for repairs since June 2013.

With regards to the repairs, i have been advised by the insurance company that due to the damage to the kitchen benchtop, it has to be replaced. Happy with the result, but now it does not match the bathroom benchtop. I was told the bathroom benchtop can only be replaced for a cost of $1000.

Has anyone else been through this? Does anyone know if it is the requirements of the insurance to replace the bathroom bench to match the kitchen benchtop being replaced due to the fire? Any input will be appreciated.

It is very unlikely for a company to pay for repairs to an unaffected portion, particularly in this case with it being a completely different room there would be little to no chance.

Most policy wordings state that repair will only occur to the damaged portion, sometimes this will extend to adjoining rooms for things such as carpet.

I have seen claims in the past where only the kitchen cupboard that have been burnt have been replaced. If they cant match it, then it?s a case of bad luck, but quite often clients will pay the difference to get the remaining portion updated .

The bathroom was not damaged. While possibly desirable, it is not necessary to match the kitchen.

Same with carpets. If one room is damaged, most insurance companies will not re-carpet the whole house (even though previously it was carpeted all the same).
Marg

The breaks failed on my car once and I hit a kerb damaging 1 of the factory alloy wheels. The rim was no longer made and could not be sourced elsewhere so the insurance company deemed the wheel to be valued at $250 and gave me that amount and didn't care that I would now have to buy 4 new wheels due to 1 damaged one....

thank you all for you quick response. I guess, i will have to pay to change the bathroom benchtop if i want to match the kitchen one. The insurance will not cover the cost.

can of petrol and matches ready

The breaks failed on my car once and I hit a kerb damaging 1 of the factory alloy wheels. The rim was no longer made and could not be sourced elsewhere so the insurance company deemed the wheel to be valued at $250 and gave me that amount and didn't care that I would now have to buy 4 new wheels due to 1 damaged one....

Did you then feel like doing an insurance job on the whole car?;)

Back