Interest rates set to hit record low tomorrow

http://www.news.com.au/business/money/story/0,28323,25125462-5016110,00.html

Interest rates set to hit record low tomorrow economists predict the RBA will cut interest rates to a new low tomorrow.

Most economists tip rate cut

Predict a 50 basis point cut

Global downturn may force RBA's hand

INTEREST rates are tipped to fall to record lows tomorrow, as the effects of the global downturn threaten to hit our economy hard.

Thirteen of 16 economists surveyed expect the Reserve Bank to cut the official cash rate at its monthly board meeting tomorrow.

Join us LIVE from 2pm AEDT tomorrow for the rates decision.

The median forecast was for a 50-basis-point rate cut. That would take the cash interest rate to a record low of 2.75 per cent.

A further 50-basis-point cut, if passed on in full by lenders, would knock another $77.96 a month off the average mortgage of $249,645 and would send the cash rate under the record low monthly average rate of 2.89 per cent seen in January, 1960.

While domestic business data is still strong, many economists say deteriorating conditions among Australia's key trading partners will weigh on the domestic economy.

More optimistic analysts said the run of rate cuts and $52 billion in Federal Government stimulus programs would support local demand.

Ben RBC Capital Markets senior economist Su-Lin Ong said a 50-basis-point rate cut in March was a close call, with the Reserve near the end of its easing cycle.

"It's pretty clear they are very reluctant to cut any more but the reason we think a move is justified is the global downturn has worsened since the last board meeting," she said.

UBS senior economist George Tharenou said the prospect of a technical recession - measured by two consecutive quarters of negative economic growth - in the first half of this year justified the need for a 50-basis-point cut this week.

ANZ economist Riki Polygenis, however, said the economy is yet to feel the full effects of the large Reserve rate cuts since September. That reinforced the case for a 25-basis-point rate cut this month.

In NZ deposit interest rates have actually increased in the last week or so.

It is a response to the popularity of several corporate bond offers that have been promoted of late (banks need to compete for deposits).

To give you an example, Fonterra recently did a 6 year bond @ 7.75% and they were after $NZD 300m. They closed the book at just over $NZD 800m.

Also in NZ news, Mascot Finance folded today. The 27th or so (I have lost count) finance company to collapse. But with one major difference to those that proceeded it - it is covered by the Government guarantee which was introduced last October for 2 years in response to the financial crisis.

Id laugh if interest rates starting rapidly going up as of April 09.

Hey with our Reserve Bank of Australia... you never freaking know.

You never know but it seems Centrebet know something... or nothing at all.

Bookmaker Centrebet suspended betting on the economy before yesterday's accounts after a flood of money backing a recession. It will reopen today offering to pay $4.85 to anyone punting $1 on Australia avoiding a recession this year.

For all those Blue Skyers out there, put your money where your mouth is and clean up since you're ahead of the game. :D

Id laugh if interest rates starting rapidly going up as of April 09.

Hey with our Reserve Bank of Australia... you never freaking know.

You could find borrowing rates going up regardles of what the RBA does.

AMP are issuing notes. The prospectus came out yesterday. Whereas a lot of notes are sold in lots of $500,000 this issue is causing a bit of interest because it is open to applications of $5,000 and is therefore targeted at the retail market (private investors) rather than the wholesale market (big institutions. These notes are offerred on a current yld of 7.57-8.07% (90 Day BBSR plus 4.25-4.75 margin), much higher than than bank term deposits (although more risky as well).

How long before other institutions start following?

Whats going to happen if enough retail investors start diversifying their money away from bank deposits? the banks are going to have to start to offer better rates, what then happens to their cost of finance?
Couple this with world wide increases in world wide government borrowing to pay for expansionary budgets and we could start to see a crowding out of debt markets.

This is only speculation on my behalf, but i am starting to see numerous warning signs.

...Couple this with world wide increases in world wide government borrowing to pay for expansionary budgets and we could start to see a crowding out of debt markets.

This is only speculation on my behalf, but i am starting to see numerous warning signs.

ITA, chilli. In fact I think we are already well down the track of crowded debt markets. I can't see the spread between current fixed & variable rates decreasing any time soon.

My money is on the RBA having another 50bp up their sleeve and that's about it.

It's now pretty apparent that the downward moves aren't going into spending (record increases in savings levels) and are having a detrimental impact on those relying on savings.

I'm calling *gulp* the cash rate bottoming at 2.75.

My money is on the RBA having another 50bp up their sleeve and that's about it.

It's now pretty apparent that the downward moves aren't going into spending (record increases in savings levels) and are having a detrimental impact on those relying on savings.

I'm calling *gulp* the cash rate bottoming at 2.75.

I can certainly see your POV, TF, though I was surprised when I checked this morning that others see differently. I guess there's been another round of bad news in the past week or so:

http://www.asx.com.au/data/trt/ib_expectation_curve_graph.pdf

i see everyone posting that graph everywhere.....

so wheres an actual overlay graph of what actually happened up till march 09 this year??

its fine to post graphs of the futures money market but id like to compare it to the "actual" previous results.

wont be far off i dont think but looking past march is gambling to say the least.........it could get worse or turn around quickly, who knows!

anyone trying to pick the bottom with rates and locking in for an extended period need to look at several things:

historical average

rate cycle when they actually lock in a loan rate if not variable..many have come undone before by locing in a low rate only to be suprised at the end of that period to be hit with double the rate they were paying or more...timing is critical..........with a bit of luck involved...

i think you just have to be happy with what rate you pick and can afford for peace of mind...

good luck.

i see everyone posting that graph everywhere..........

CSC, you are right. I have tracked that graph for the past two-three months months and it goes up and down based on the prevailing daily economic news.

After Glenn Stevens spoke in the Parliamentary hearing two weeks ago, rates expectations increased. The last few economic surveys/GDP figures now are pushing them down again, with sub 2% later this year.

They really don't predict cash rates that well, just give a view of interest rates expectations on any given day.

I agree. csc, i wasn't posting it as an accurate predictor as obviously it is not. I am bemused by how quickly the sentiment changes with where the "bottom" falls and how quickly it picks up. From memory, it looks like current sentiment is for the "recovery" to come later than predicted a month ago. Not surprising. There will probably some economic pundit on tele 3 months from now with a convincing argument for hyper-inflation and we'll see the right hand side of the chart shoot right up.

I can certainly see your POV, TF, though I was surprised when I checked this morning that others see differently. I guess there's been another round of bad news in the past week or so:

http://www.asx.com.au/data/trt/ib_expectation_curve_graph.pdf

I find myself in a minority in the office again, I just can't see further big rate decreases making much of a difference at this stage.

Diminishing returns IMHO.

Yep..all the smart money is on 2% but, then again, all the smart money was on a significant move in March ;)

Back