Interesting deal in Melbourne

I came across an interesting deal over the weekend, if anyone wants further details, feel free to drop me a message:

I was doing a drive-by of one of my IPs because I was in the area. Two doors down was a similar house for sale. Rang the agent and organised an inspection. The property details are:

3 br townhouse.
4 years old.
ensuite & WIR off master bedroom.
BIR in other two rooms.
single garage.
About 12km from Melbourne city, south eastern suburb.

Good location, central to a major shopping centre, schools, Monash Uni and public transport. The rear boundary is on a main road however.

The asking price is $320k, but I got a strong indication that this is negotiable. The reason I feel that this is a good deal is because a similar property sold a few days ago (through another much better agent) for $370k. My guess is that this property is probably worth around $350k.

The rental would probably be around $300/wk. This may be a bit weak, but I think that $30k+ of equity offsets that. I also believe that the suburb has good long term growth prospects. There's also a lot of depreciation still available in the property. The vendor is selling because they've outgrown the house (three kids).

I'm not representing anyone in this deal, I just saw it on a drive-by. I don't want the deal myself, because I already own property in that street and don't want to be over-exposed to a particular area, especially at the street level. I'm actaully disapointed that the agent is selling at this price, because it may devalue my property.

I don't want to disclose the address in a public forum. I am willing to give it to anyone who asks via private email or phone.

I know that it sold, but I don't know the details. I've since lost the agents details. I forwarded the details to 3 people, but I don't think it sold to anyone on the forum.

I was cleaning up my desk today (long overdue) and found the agent's card. I decided to call him for an update.

Apparently my previous post was incorrect. The property has not sold at this point and it has been listed with another agent. I'll drive past there this weekend to see what else I can find out.

The property sold today (two weeks before the scheduled auction). It sold for $310k.

I get the feeling that the second agent (Barry Plant) had listed the property, got an offer close to the vendors original expectations and the vendor jumped on it.

Back