Interesting to see how this pans out

A Melbourne woman is taking on a mortgage lender over claims of “unconscionable” high interest rates and “excessive” exit fees.

Emily Hamilton is taking RHG Mortgage Corporation (formerly RAMS Mortgage Corporation) to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) after the lender told her she would have to pay $12,000 to exit her home loan.

Ms Hamilton was keen to refinance to a more-competitive loan after RHG increased her variable interest rate well above Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA) rate rises, Consumer Action Law Centre (CALW) spokeswoman Nicole Rich said.

“After she entered into the loan in July last year, RAMS, later RHG, started raising her interest rate to a point where now, even after recent RBA rate decreases, her rate is sitting at 0.99 per cent higher than when she signed, while the official RBA rate is two per cent lower,” Ms Rich said.

She said Ms Hamilton considered switching loans, but was faced with an “excessive” early termination fee of more than $12,000.

Lodging papers against the lender with VCAT on Monday, Ms Rich said CALW would argue the early termination fee was unconscionable because it exceeded RHG’s reasonable costs arising from the early end to the loan.

It will also allege the interest rate rises on Ms Hamilton’s loan were unconscionable and unreasonable, given they advertised the loan would keep competitive rates.

Ms Rich said borrowers signed up to variable home loans knowing the lender could raise or lower the interest rate, but lenders had no right to make arbitrary or unfair changes.

“Our claim also asserts that RHG has engaged in misleading and deceptive conduct by representing that the interest rate under the loan would remain competitive and not exceed the rate on a market leading loan, when this has not been the reality.”

A spokesman for RHG said the lender could not comment on the action while it was before the tribunal.

No hope of winning at all.

VCAT wont even have the power to overturn a contract like a loan contract.

It IS a contract after all.

And all the bank have to argue is that they're earning 9% on her loan, and if they broke the loan they'd only get 6% when they lent the money out again. So why should they lose out financially.

Anyway, a decision in her favour would turn the entire loan industry on its head.

People should stop sooking. I fixed a whole HEAP of money 6 months ago, but that's my decision and I take responsibility for it. If rates were at 15% I wouldnt be running to the bank offering them more money to compensate them, would I. Its not like her repayments have actually changed since when she took the loan out, is it.

Its not like her repayments have actually changed since when she took the loan out, is it.

Yep

“After she entered into the loan in July last year, RAMS, later RHG, started raising her interest rate to a point where now, even after recent RBA rate decreases, her rate is sitting at 0.99 per cent higher than when she signed, while the official RBA rate is two per cent lower,” Ms Rich said.

Sounds like it has changed to me

Dave

“Our claim also asserts that RHG has engaged in misleading and deceptive conduct by representing that the interest rate under the loan would remain competitive and not exceed the rate on a market leading loan, when this has not been the reality.”

I'm no lawyer (not even of the bush variety) but if they really did represent the above matters is their dealings with the applicant, then it would seem to make for an interesting case.

She has a case IMO.

RAMS said take loan with us and we will be competitive: RAMS made an offer to her. She accepted offer. Whilst not written in contract the advertising is in writing which makes it implied in the contract.

RAMS upped rates when others were dropping. RAMS failed to meet offer. She has right to end contract.

It would not be in Court if it did not have some legs.

Peter

It would be great to see her win and then for RHG to be inundated by similar claims (those about to pay out high ERF's and those that have already paid the ERF's over to RHG).

They are no longer taking on new clients and therefore have little incentive to compete with other lenders. Why should they still be able to charge high ERF's when they are no longer competing in the market on rates? Different story imo if their rates were competitive and they were looking for new business.

This could be a one sided case with RHG briefing QC's just to avoid a possibility of opening the floodgates of litigation.

I think she has a good case, especially if she has copies of their advertisements from when she signed the loan.

Its not like this lady has gone and fixed a rate (then its her problem) but I think all of us are affected by this. What stops the banks from increasing rates to 10% - 15% above the RBA rate and having huge break fee's.

Laws can change.

I remember years back someone challenged the break fee on afixed loan when rates where higher. Successfully argueing the bank had no right ot charge if no loss. that perosn won and banks would actually refund you $$ if they made profit.

Since then I think "admin charges'' and "switch fees" has been added to chew up any refund.

Peter

Very interesteted in this, I got stung by a huge ERF earlier this year.

Would love to claw some of that back, but am not holding my breath.

I had a friend who had 3 IP loans all variable set up through a mortgage manager, through Adelaide bank I think, and they all had DEF of 1.6% of original loan amount ( not to mention discharge admin fee $700 each one).

I'm about to get hit $30K for exiting a variable loan. It has a penalty of 3 months' interest for breaking within the first 5 years. :eek: At the time I took it out, they were the only lender who'd finance us, so I didn't feel that I had any choice. Thankfully I now have the option to pay the $30K penalty and move on... :)

If ERF and related fees go, it will mean a certain $ amount is removed from the total "earn" available to lenders.

The "lost" $ will simply be recovered from additional interest rate margin or up-front fees.

if there is a win for the lady then I believe the lawyers will tie it up for a good long time with legal appeals and the rest of it.

RHG isnt the only bogey, indeed there are some ABL loans floating around with a 30 year def of one months interest

ta
rolf

I think she has a good case, especially if she has copies of their advertisements from when she signed the loan.

Its not like this lady has gone and fixed a rate (then its her problem) but I think all of us are affected by this. What stops the banks from increasing rates to 10% - 15% above the RBA rate and having huge break fee's.

Further more, Rams sent every borrower left behind a letter stating that other then the name change there would be no other changes and everything would be the same. This is not the case as the difference in interest rates for similar products can be up to 2% higher at the old Rams (RHG) when compared with the new Rams.

I think she may lose but good on her for having a go and standing up. I to was caught up in the RAMS/RHG problems with high rates etc, I hated also and it caused me alot of stress but I had to grin and bear it and still have not gone out on weekends :D

Because you have to pay the banks lol first!

Further more, Rams sent every borrower left behind a letter stating that other then the name change there would be no other changes and everything would be the same. This is not the case as the difference in interest rates for similar products can be up to 2% higher at the old Rams (RHG) when compared with the new Rams.

Actually, the "no other changes" is their problem. They were in the same funding pickle after the name change as they were before :(

Back