Interests

Hi all,

What new activities or challenges have you tried in the past or are attempting now? It's great to continually learn and try new things so just wondering what other people have tried out and enjoyed or any hobbies you have??

Thanks
Tarah :D

decking with 4x2 out the front of my place.

i forgot how much i love carpentry.

building a veggie patch, chook pen, cubby house next for the kids.

I have never actually 'built' anything with my two hands and today after searching the internet for a Topiary frame in the shape of a horse and finding someone who makes them in Tassie but was going to charge me over $500 - bugger that!! I've decided to have a go and make one myself!! How hard can it be...wire and blow torch to weld the bits :rolleyes:

Hi

I love to paint, used to do it all the time as a teenager, big canvas oil paints. I used to paint fantasy scenes and tigers mainly. Have been thinking about getting back into it lately, there's nothing as soothing as getting lost in something you love doing...

Alysha

Ah, the things we did as a teen and lost.

I used to draw a lot - still do, just not so much on paper. I used to sculpt too, now its 3d stuff on the computer.

This week I found some balls of wool and crochet hooks and ended up getting roped into making some baby blankets for Child A's dolls. Makes me want to go buy some nice burgundy wool and make a lap blanket for the couch, the double bed doona we have on it now is a wee bit bulky.

Dragged out my old music gear, and brought them back online.

Unfortunately, I have discovered electronics are not as permanent as one would like:

1. My Juno106 has developed a DCO problem - not the common "missing voice" but #6 will not shut off and keep playing the last note.

2. My ESQ1 has run out of internal battery (it's soldered in!) - and refuses to boot.

3. My TR505 has run out of internal battery (not sure where this one is!) - refuses to retain any settings

Picked up my guitar again and started trying to play it after finally getting some strings (took 15 years...).... ok, at least I can get *some* sound out of it (hidden behind a wall of thick distortion and reverb)

Cheers,

The Y-man

On the new stuff front, I am experimenting with plant propogation through cuttings.

Have had some success now with roses (probably the easiest after fuchsias) and a couple of nectarines.

Having a dog of a time trying to do cutting and layering of guavas and feijoas - they just don't seem to want to take.

Cheers,

The Y-man

You can take cuttings from roses?

Do share, I have two very nice ones right where I need to put a driveway and a barren wasteland out the back. I'd love more roses :D

I'm currently propogating figs from cuttings, I have a small forest of figs out the back in pots, mixed in with a tonne of wattle and other seedlings I've been yanking up from under the parent tree and sticking in pots. The seedlings in the ground all die come summer, my potted ones are going strong. I also need to get a stack of lamb's ears cuttings from my old house and strike them for here.

Gardening for cheapskates ;)

You can take cuttings from roses?

See:
http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s2634383.htm

The main things I discovered:

1. they can sit with their feet in water for ages - don't seem to mind it.
2. don't cover them - they go all mildewy and rotty.
3. big stems work (no leaves) far better than tips with buds

I recall someone on TV saying they are closely related to blackberry - and you know how hard it is to kill them!

Cheers,

The Y-man

Rare(?)Ferns

Hi,
Started collecting a few ferns many years ago, and am in the process now of weeding out some of the more 'common' ferns, and persisting with the 'rare' ones only.
I'm running out of space in my fernery.
Are there any other fern fanciers here....particularly those who know something about the drynaria rigidula cultivar 'whitei' ?
Can't seem to find out much about this fern anywhere.
Cheers
Amy

-Travelling/experiencing different lifestyles, cultures, people...surroundings, ideas, foods, can be overseas, interstate and local. Some of the sweetest things have been closeby and seem to keep rediscovering stuff..it's the strangest thing.

-Equine pursuits-training, breeding, racing, educating, across the two major codes, standardbred and thoroughbred. That is in my blood. I have horse blood flowing through my veins. Shared with Mr OO.

-Working dog involvement. Breeding/training/competition/charity/business, I may have horse blood, but I have a canine's brain. Anything to do with animals. Always have been a passion of mine, always will.

-Rock and mountain climbing. Can be overseas, interstate climbs or relatively local, some of my favorites are Grampians/Gariwerd and Mt Arapiles/Tooan, especially Mt Arapiles/Tooan State Park:

http://www.chockstone.org/Arapiles/Arapiles.htm

What can I say about Arapiles that hasn't already been said a thousand times before? Very little I fear! Many a would-be writer has waxed lyrical about the magic of Victoria's climbing Mecca, the premier destination, possibly the very the heart and soul of traditional climbing in Australia. Too much? Okay, so we all know it's the bee's knee's, that it fills the dreams of climbers world wide, inspires many a new comer

-When possible I like to be on my own, (climbing), which isn't always the most sensible thing, but as independent and on my own as possible. It is my meditation.

-Music, piano, songwriting, acoustic guitar ...feeble attempts at drums, isn't going to happen anytime soon, like trying to jump from swirling mass of color and emotion to black and white maths.

-Sport, I love to kick the football with family, for some reason that is so much fun. Hockey. Always love a belt around with hockey girls, you get to run a bit. If they stick you out on the wing.:) I love cross country running...but I tend to get lost on it.

-Hiking.

-Scuba diving on barrier reef/boating and sailing. I love to go out on fishing boats (sea) and catch crays and fish. Proper fishing boats, not the hire jobs..I have great sealegs. I love the ocean.

-Property:) I love learning about property, looking for property, researching property, buying property, (minorish) renovations of property, renting property...I love building, I love mortgage documents, I love banks. It's fun.

-Motor bikes, introduced from my brother, shared now with Mr OO, and it's fun. Cross country rag tag stuff and road biking.

-Reading, can be internet, can be libraries, or other varied stuff, too much to mention.

-Self development/education.

-Music concerts.

-Science, I love the science shows, archeology, history, museums...all that. Architecture.

-Photography, the kind where you do it for yourself, wander off with camera, notso much people, but scenery, animals, sunsets/sunrises....

-I watercolor paint.

-Genealogy

-Surfing and windsurfing, basic, not fancy skill level.

-I love to cook. Growing my own produce. My rockmelons are fabulous.

-Writing poetry and stuff.

That's just a few things off the top of my head.

Snowboarding, surfing, property, travel, food, motorbikes - still on L's and dropped it for the first time today about 30mins ago, damn gravel :(. plus heaps more I can't think of right now.

I used to build/fly model aircraft when I was a kid, that was pretty cool.

I used to build/fly model aircraft when I was a kid, that was pretty cool.

Hey, me too. I remember building them as a kid, after school for a couple of weeks, and organising a stall at a local market to sell them one Sunday morning. From memory, I think that I only sold three or four of them but it still put some coin in my pocket. My first business venture, at about eleven years old. Rockin. :cool:

These days, quite a lot of my time and emotion go into my businesses. But then, everything that I do these days is given an enormous amount of passion and energy.

I love hitting the road in my car. It's small and black and goes vroom very nicely. Beautiful. I'm driving to Adelaide and back for a seminar next week.

I love spending time with my family, my mates, and various dates from time to time. Certainly a hell of a lot more sociable than I used to be.

I love learning new things. Languages especially atm. Working on French, will tackle Spanish next year. I also love travelling so this will no doubt be useful in future.

I also love taking photos and playing snooker and buying property and selling property and cooking storms and writing songs and trading shares and playing poker and seeing movies and buying clothes and seeking thrills and going for runs and maybe taking a breath every now and then.

All about having fun, baby. Loving life :)

Attachments

• rosecuttings.jpg
    rosecuttings.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 94
what a fun thread, great to read about all the different hobbies and interests.

I breed Ragdoll Kittens. We have our first litter of 5 babies, who are now 9 weeks old and will be ready for new homes around Valentine's Day. I have been showing for about 2 years, and I think I am an official 'crazy cat lady' now :)
What the heck is a Ragdoll Cat?

I also keep chooks, which I love, and grow veges in an old tractor tyre.

See attached - the cuttings I took after this thread are about 5 foot high now :eek:

RE, that flower spike in the bottom left of you pic, what type of plant is that? I encountered one the same very recently and cannot figure out what it is.

As for hobbies for me it has always been photography even though I'm taking a break from it at the moment I'm now getting to the stage where I've had enough of a break and ready to get back into it.

Hi Kesse,

Nice to have an interest in plants. I think that spikey white thing is "Acanthus mollis" or Oyster plant. It's a pretty low maintenance plant but flowers can be a bit spikey.
Maybe you meant what is the pretty Red flowering one instead?

Hobbies - new years resolution is to take up runnning again. Haven't seriously done it since high school, but can still run faster than my 13 and 11 year old kids.

Cheers

I make my own soaps, soy candles, body scrubs, moisturisers. I am going to try making shampoo soon. Love hand crafted products made with quality oils, nothing like expensive commercial products all of those chemicals. I love to surprise my friends sometimes with products.

Back