Internet cabling for a new house. Which type?

anything less than cat5e is a waste,
IF you could find somebody willing to install any of the older prior cabling standards they would not llikely want you to tell anyone about it,
know a man in Knoxfield with about 30000 feet of s9 cables (9600 bit), thatyou can get cheap. Hes holding on till the technology comes full circle again, been holding it since 1972 :p

I reckon trying to IT future proof your property is a waste of money.
Look at how much standards have changed in the last 10 years.

There's no way anyone can say what speed demand there'll be in 10 years time. Plus MESH wireless technology is supposed to be the future.

I think you are wasting your money trying to make a sell to geeks feature out of internal cabling. Most geeks will be happy to run their own wireless modem/router.

The advantage I think gigabit cable would have over wireless today is:

- it would allow fast backup of a hdd partition image to another computer. THere is software around nowadays that allows you to do complete partition backups from within Windows while multitasking.

- it allows processing and sharing of large files on other computers, such as graphics and database files.

Forget future proofing and put the $5k into a accumulation index fund. Technology always gets better and cheaper the longer you wait.

Winstonwolfe , your reply makes a lot of sense.

I have leaned strongly to both sides of the argument.

What I now realise is that i was trying to predict the future of cable and was fixated on the abilities of Wi-fi now.
There will be tremendous advancement in wireless protocols in the next few years . Thus money spent on cable now, wont reflect the return I want for an IP.
So if the tenant wants wireless s/he can pay for it.

However for a PPR I think the convenience and my ability to utilise cable effectively would be probably worth it.
Thanks to everyone for your contributions

If a new house to be built is wired for internet conection ,is it advisable to use optic fibre within the structure to be built?

If as the orginal question quotes the IT infrastructure was to be installed during the house build process and the price is right fair enough. But from the IT future proofing point of view I have to agree with WinstonWolfe. Could be money down the drain before you know it.
I still remember 10 years ago dealing with company networks that operated on coaxial peer-to-peer networks. From the home point of view over the years we have gone from hubs to switches to all-in-one modem-router-switches we have now using CAT5-CAT6 cabling.
So what technologies will we be using over the next 10 years, not sure but one thing I'm sure of is that it's not the same as we are using today.

Back