Internet Scam?

Here's one I got which i reckon is very dodgy;

Received a phone call from a guy today asking about a price on tyres, and after finding out the price wanted a quote for 20 of them to be shipped to Brazil.

I gave him one, and then he asked me to email the details of the tyre and price to him and gave me the email address.

Please do it straight away, and hung up...

I thought for a few secs, and then decided "get lost, buddy".

A minute later he calls back asking if I've sent the email, I say no, and asked him where he was calling from.

He said NSW.

So, I ask him why he is calling me in Melb, when he can call anyone local in his area for a price.

He said he was given my details.

Ok, so I said I'll find an internet cafe and send it from there; not my own computers. (should have asked for a fax number I suppose)

He gave me a phone number to call, but I simply couldn't be f*cked.

Weird, huh?

Here's one I got which i reckon is very dodgy;

Received a phone call from a guy today asking about a price on tyres, and after finding out the price wanted a quote for 20 of them to be shipped to Brazil.

I gave him one, and then he asked me to email the details of the tyre and price to him and gave me the email address.

Please do it straight away, and hung up...

I thought for a few secs, and then decided "get lost, buddy".

A minute later he calls back asking if I've sent the email, I say no, and asked him where he was calling from.

He said NSW.

So, I ask him why he is calling me in Melb, when he can call anyone local in his area for a price.

He said he was given my details.

Ok, so I said I'll find an internet cafe and send it from there; not my own computers. (should have asked for a fax number I suppose)

He gave me a phone number to call, but I simply couldn't be f*cked.

Weird, huh?
I had a few in the last week where this Lady rings up and tells me she is from a high end telco that i have a account with,and this was very very slick,she tells me the internet deal i'm on is outdated and her company will give me a better deal 500mb download,free mobile,free local calls,os calls for 1 buck per unlimited,she had me led up the garden path just about to shut the gate on me till i looked down at the screen for the caller id,which was from os all within about 90 seconds,then she wanted my credit card details,nearly had me till i asked what clothes she was wearing and she hung up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1bFr2SWP1I&feature=relmfu.

I like the ones from India who used to call me to fix the viruses on my computer. Apparently it was some big scam that got busted a couple of months back.

I used to play with them, follow their instructions until they needed me to download some of their software, when we got to that part they would say "ok, now what do you see on the screen"

Me: "a picture of your mother with her knockers out"

That went down well lol, Those crazy crazy indians :)

The bloke called me back the next day!

Wanted to know why I hadn't emailed him - I said no emails; only fax or phone.

He says OK.

I faxed the price, brand etc, and a note saying I will only accept a bank cheque for 30% of the total as a deposit before any order is placed.

A fax came back saying OK, asking for dimensions, weight of the tyre etc, and he will be happy to pay the account using credit card over the phone.

I sent back another fax with dimensions etc, but with a note saying no credit cards by phone - only bank cheque and when the funds clear, we will proceed from there.

That was late on Friday arvo, no reply as yet, so will see what transpires on Monday.

Probably trying to pay with stolen credit card details and by the time you find out (and the bank recalls the funds) the product is already on it's way.

this is a credit card scam, once you ship your tyres they are gone and you will never get the money.

my brother in law has a second hand computer business and get 10-15 of these per week, he now uses a program that makes his website show up with a 404 error message in certain African and European countries

this is a credit card scam, once you ship your tyres they are gone and you will never get the money.

my brother in law has a second hand computer business and get 10-15 of these per week, he now uses a program that makes his website show up with a 404 error message in certain African and European countries
I was onto it from the first minute, but wanted to play the game to get a laugh and waste the idiot's time.

The update is that on Mon he rang me again asking if I'd sent the fax with all the dimensions and confirm the order etc - as soon as possible.

Yeah; I'll be doin' that....rush, rush.

I said no and would get onto it that day when I had time.

Two hours later another phone call (after no fax sent). "I'll get to it" was my reply ;).

So, I drafted another fax, confirming the dimensions, and also added that I required his;

His full name
Business name
ABN/ACN
Business address

and, added a note that we would need full payment before any order was placed and any shipment could occur.

Sent the fax first thing Tues morning.

Amazingly; no response since then.

Was it something I said?

Should have involved the Cops (if you want to waste a heap of time) they could have set up a sting. Along with all the other stings they are working on.

Cheers

As has been said most likely a variation of the advance fee fraud, 419 scam.

There was a rush of scam posts to the real estate portals recently placed around higher priced homes with a similar objective. Impressive to see how the scams are getting more sophisticated, a good dash of common sense is the best antidote.. but we all know how common that is!

Just on the buyer being in NSW and calling VIC, might be because it takes the police so much longer to sort out interstate matters with potential fraud, gives an extra layer of distance to the scammer? Just a hunch.

advance fee fraud - send me $2500 so i can release your $100,000.

they try with everything - cars, tyres, jetskis, rollerskates..... you send to them, always on the move - yacht, holiday, on business - sending someone around now to pick them up. just supply address.

you pay fee for transport, i'll reimburse you now.

what, you not recieve money? oh okay, i try again.

then nothing.....

Back