Investing a home opposite a school

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or comments about investing in a home opposite a public school. My husband and I are ready to invest in a home in Lane Cove West opposite a school. Residents that I have spoken to around the area have commented on minimal noise in the morning and afternoon which surprised even them. If the median value of a home in that suburb is $1,050,000 should a discount apply being opposite a school?

I would think a discount would be in order opposite any school. There WILL be noise and an increase in traffic and parking issues, no matter how good or prestigious the school is, and the pool of buyers is lessened when it comes time to sell.

If your query is regarding a house on mowbray rd, then I don't think it will affect your houses growth in the future.... The area is really popular and there aren't many houses in the suburb that aren't near a school, or shop, or main road.

normally I would say yes, but i know the area well and in this instance I think the difference would be neglibible.

Ring a few of the real estate agents in the area and ask an honest question up front, most of them are more than happy to throw their 2c in.

Can't speak for the area.

Some possible negatives:

Are there bells?

Kids tend to litter/make noise on the way to and from school

Traffic- kids waiting for buses?

Teachers/students leaving the school grounds to hang around and smoke?:)

Hoons in cars can hang around or do doughies outside/near.

It wouldn't be my ideal location but I was a teacher for 15 years.

a discount! a discount is applied to the whole market due to the current market situation, make a low ball bid! you can always go up but not down, personally i would not buy opposite a school i don’t like screaming kids but i would prefer to buy opposite a school if my choice was a school or fire station! check out the neighbours a bad neighbour being a noisy one is worse than a school full of kids!

My house is opposite a school but it is almost 2km away (two blocks of many, many vacant allotments separate us).

You can still hear the kids playing and the big brass bell at recess and lunch!

We looked at a PPOR near a school. I parked outside it from 8.30 until 9.05 and again from 2.30 until 3.30 and decided against it.
I suggest you try that.
It would turn some buyers off. A high school would affect my decision more than a primary school. Primary schools tend to disperse very quickly as parents pick the kids up. High school kids hang around and have after school activities etc.

Recently I looked at a place opposite a church. I didn't even think about it until the agent told me the last people pulled out because of it.
I visited at 10am on a Sunday morning. WOW. I didn't realise it was such a popular church.

We lived opposite a primary school in a blue chip area which we recently sold. The property did not even hit the market and we got what I consider top $. The property was a period home on a duplex block.

Personally I would not live opposite or next to a school again. Main problems, traffic in morning and afternoon (school hours), people parking on your verge and driveway, litter, noise.

Whenever the school required major maintenance it was completed on school holidays and workers commenced at 7.00 am, week days and weekends. Also, you have no control regarding signage which can ruin the streetscape. Sometimes the school was used by various community groups on weekends.

Good luck with your decision

If you appreciate a tenant's point of view I can tell you that we never rent near schools. Shiftworkers need to sleep during the day, 30% of the population does shift work...so that rules out some of your potential tenants. Use that to get a discount. However there may be others who would love it if it is the school their kids go to. I suggest you hang around for a few hours, there is a school in our current neighbourhood which uses a loudspeaker system which they use to page students, teachers, get people to move cars etc. You can hear these announcements for a long distance, even nowhere near the school. You wouldn't want to buy into that.
Good luck!

I've lived opposite a school many yrs ago, with little effect, as it was a primary school and pretty quiet. Parking was on the other side, with our house across from the back oval. Great in the pre-fence days, when we had family over and could play summer cricket :)

Most of my clients, however, haven't been keen about buying right next to or behind schools (primary or high) as there can be problems- see those already mentioned with parking being the largest issue. Not only during peak times, but also weekends (sport, concerts etc) and even more so if there's a church attached (forget about inviting guests over Sat nights at 6pm or Sun from 7-10am!). However, having said this, it does depend on the size of the school and how "far away" you are. Lane Cove, like most north shore suburbs on that side of town, is getting crowded and budgets will dictate where you can afford to live. Compromise has to come into it, after all- not everyone can relax in a mansion on streets like Sutherland St or Alpha on the other side of Epping Rd :)

Best of luck with your negotiations!

Back